Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

What have you done to your Pickup / 4Runner today? (Old School Edition)

Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Took the tarp off it and washed it up, drove it around awhile.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #42
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Got the rear OME medium duty springs and N94 shocks in today! Took a lot longer than expected because the original bushing sleeves were seized badly to the shackle pins so that was fun. Ended up renting a big puller from o'reilly's and it worked like a charm. Preliminary measurements show about 3.75" of lift in the rear. I'll get some pictures up after it's all done.
BJ spacers and N98's coming up tomorrow!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #43
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
What size spacer did ya go with?

Make sure to get pics of your CVs when it's all said and done.

Glad you went with OME, I think you'll find the ride to be very significantly better in every way.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #44
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
What size spacer did ya go with?

Make sure to get pics of your CVs when it's all said and done.

Glad you went with OME, I think you'll find the ride to be very significantly better in every way.
1.5" spacers.
Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the rear driveshaft angles after the carrier bearing. I'm definitely seeing the advantage of a high pinion in terms of angles now. We'll see how lifting the front does.
I'm really excited. I was jumping around on the back to stabilize the suspension and it feels really good.
I might have some troubles with the bpv and brake lines and I might need to extend them, but we'll see.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #45
LensCap

Finished the lift yesterday! Preliminary measurements show 2" up in the front and about 3.25" in the back. I now have some vibes, though, so we'll see what I can do about that. I'll get some pics of the cv angles tomorrow. They look a little steep, though. I may end up relaxing the torsion bars a bit, but we'll see.

Before:

After:

Rear new and old shocks:

Rear new and old springs:

Had some issues with old bushing sleeves seized to the shackle pins, so that was a pain, but man, a puller did the trick! Pitman arm puller was too small, though, so we rented a big one and it worked in less than 5 minutes.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #46
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Very nice, man! It does look like the front could afford to be brought down a hair. Seems higher than the rear, and that would give you better angles/smoother ride.

You going up to 33x10.5s or something similar?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #47
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
you can throw a few washers in to drop the carrier bearing down and help with angle. or go with a 1 or2* shim for the leaf perches
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #48
LensCap

Quote:
Very nice, man! It does look like the front could afford to be brought down a hair. Seems higher than the rear, and that would give you better angles/smoother ride.

You going up to 33x10.5s or something similar?
Yeah I'll probably relax the tbars tonight after work.
Yup, 33's or at least 32s sometime in the future. Maybe not right away, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valon5150 View Post
you can throw a few washers in to drop the carrier bearing down and help with angle. or go with a 1 or2* shim for the leaf perches
Ooh, yeah that sounds like a good idea for the carrier bearing. And that's a great idea for the springs! I didn't even know that those existed. Any suggestions on where to purchase a pair? I haven't done any research on it, yet, but I will tonight.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #50

You didn't get the OME T-bars did you?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #51
LensCap

Quote:
You didn't get the OME T-bars did you?
I did but I haven't installed them. I'm not sure if I'm going to or not. Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #52

Adding just a few mm to the thickness of torsion bars will hold up to a whole lot more weight. Even with a bumper and winch I wouldn't. I saw they math a few places on YT and the general consensus seemed to be that thicker t-bars aren't needed, even with quite a bit of weight. But research on your own and make your own decision ha I still have stockers and am only speaking from what I've read/researched elsewhere.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #53
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post

Ooh, yeah that sounds like a good idea for the carrier bearing. And that's a great idea for the springs! I didn't even know that those existed. Any suggestions on where to purchase a pair? I haven't done any research on it, yet, but I will tonight.
I know a lot of places sell them but the only one that comes to mind right now is 4crawler http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

Might find others for better price. i would suggest getting steel ones not aluminum.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #54
LensCap

Quote:
Adding just a few mm to the thickness of torsion bars will hold up to a whole lot more weight. Even with a bumper and winch I wouldn't. I saw they math a few places on YT and the general consensus seemed to be that thicker t-bars aren't needed, even with quite a bit of weight. But research on your own and make your own decision ha I still have stockers and am only speaking from what I've read/researched elsewhere.
Yeah I think if I go with the OME ones then I'll have to crank them down all the way to get it to the right height. I'll lower the stock ones a little and then see what time has to say about things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valon5150 View Post
I know a lot of places sell them but the only one that comes to mind right now is 4crawler http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

Might find others for better price. i would suggest getting steel ones not aluminum.
Thanks! Why do you say steel instead of aluminum?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #56
LensCap

way to show me up!
Looks sweeeet
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
LensCap

Some angles and shit:
Passenger CV joint from front:

From rear:

Pinion U-joint

Carrier bearing. A bit difficult to see the front driveshaft part through the exhaust pipe.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #59
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget the lube

1 qt for the crawl box, 2 qts for the TC

I continued working on my trans tunnel cover last night.

Should look pretty sweet.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #60
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtacoma01 View Post
Don't forget the lube

1 qt for the crawl box, 2 qts for the TC

I continued working on my trans tunnel cover last night.

Should look pretty sweet.
Thanks Chris, I appreciate the help. I'm going to fill the tranny, cases, and diffs all at the same time to help me remember everything. I'm curious about the high pinion front diff though. Is the factory 2 quarts enough, or do I need to add a little more gear oil?