Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Transmission problems (hard 1st to 2nd gear shift)

Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
jlewis003 is on a distinguished road
jlewis003's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission problems (hard 1st to 2nd gear shift)

I have a 2006 Tacoma D-cab 4x4 with 131,k miles. I am having very hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear, harded after it gets warmed up. I have charged the fliud (World standard) twice and can not tell any big differance. I have no transmission codes, and the dealer says that it is internal problems. I have found some low mile used transmission and at this point I believe I will just change it out. Just wanted to through something out there to see if this is happening with anyone else before I put it on the rack and brake out the tools.
May I add going from a stop at normal acceleration the shift is so hard it will bark the tires going into 2nd gear.....
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
v6 Automatic. toyota world standard fluid
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
There was a TSB for hard shifting between 1st and 2nd that required a reflash of the ECU , I had it done on my '09 , not sure if it applies to your '06
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Will the Thrill
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering about this. I have the same problem but only at slower speeds.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
It shift hard at slower speeds as well. I have just been letting out of the gas right before 1st to 2nd shift point (like you would if it was a stick shift).
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
usarugger67 is on a distinguished road
usarugger67's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma Auto trans, 56k miles and mine is doing the same thing! Dealer says needs new tranny...$3700, no love from Toyota. Has anyone discovered what the problem is?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
There was a TSB for hard shifting between 1st and 2nd that required a reflash of the ECU , I had it done on my '09 , not sure if it applies to your '06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 tacoma owner View Post
I was wondering about this. I have the same problem but only at slower speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis003 View Post
It shift hard at slower speeds as well. I have just been letting out of the gas right before 1st to 2nd shift point (like you would if it was a stick shift).
Quote:
Originally Posted by usarugger67 View Post
I have a 2006 Tacoma Auto trans, 56k miles and mine is doing the same thing! Dealer says needs new tranny...$3700, no love from Toyota. Has anyone discovered what the problem is?

You guys should check into what OZ is talking about, it may pertain to your years as well, if it doesn't I implore you to get it serviced ASAP !! don't wait till it comes to this...

Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
I just changed the fluid...no issues in bottom of pan. Any other ideas? Anything electrical that might cause this issue? Sensors, etc?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
I have drained and refilled the transmission 3 times in the past 30 days. The first service I dropped the pan after it had sat on the rack over night to get more fluid out. There was alot of fine material on the magnets, but no chucks. The shifting seems to be improving, but not what I feel it should be. Still hard shifts when up to temp. You would think that Toyota would recognize this problem and correct it. Many have said that the Toyota world standard fluid is a lifetime fluid, and Toyota does not show a transmission service, only a instect up to 150,k miles in the 2006 Tacoma maintiance guide.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis003 View Post
I have drained and refilled the transmission 3 times in the past 30 days. The first service I dropped the pan after it had sat on the rack over night to get more fluid out. There was alot of fine material on the magnets, but no chucks. The shifting seems to be improving, but not what I feel it should be. Still hard shifts when up to temp. You would think that Toyota would recognize this problem and correct it. Many have said that the Toyota world standard fluid is a lifetime fluid, and Toyota does not show a transmission service, only a instect up to 150,k miles in the 2006 Tacoma maintiance guide.
I may have jumped the gun a bit for scheduled/required maint. I think from years '07 (or maybe '06) & up it's a sealed deal with no user friendly way to service it, so guess its a no maint., non user friendly trans..
Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Update....after the dealer told me I needed a new transmission at a cost of $3700, I did a thorough check on my own and discovered the fluid was two quarts low. I filled it up and problem solved! Cost me about $25...the dealership is running a corrupt, dishonest business. I'm very disappointed with Toyota.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Update....after the dealer told me I needed a new transmission at a cost of $3700, I did a thorough check on my own and discovered the fluid was two quarts low. I filled it up and problem solved! Cost me about $25...the dealership is running a corrupt, dishonest business. I'm very disappointed with Toyota.

Nice !! & thats why its called "Stealership"
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toyota doesn't own the dealership

Just sayin