Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

New to "off roading" which Toyota question

Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Jedi5150's Tacoma Gallery
New to "off roading" which Toyota question

Hello all, FNG here, and I'm new to off-roading. I don't have the cash or the time to dive head over heals into a new hobby at the moment, but I'd still like to get a bit into off roading.

For starters, I'm going to be attending my first Overland Expo in AZ this May. My primary question is about which Toyota to use as my off-roading vehicle. I have a 2002 4Runner "sport" edition w/ V6 (195k miles), and a 2009 dual-cab Tacoma short bed, with the 17" wheel option (100k miles). I've done light offroading with both, and have very little preference between them. I've owned both since they were new.

Not being the least bit mechanically inclined, I don't know which of these two is generally believed to be the better for off roading...or the better base vehicle if I ever really got into upgrades.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS- Out of curiosity, would the 17" wheels from my 2010 Taco mount just fine on the 2002 4Runner? The 4Runner is fully paid off, so if I messed it up off roading I'd probably cry less.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
which one is 4wd?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Take out the Runner. It's a little older so dings and scratches won't matter as much.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
which one is 4wd?
Both, Steve.

Quote:
Take out the Runner. It's a little older so dings and scratches won't matter as much.
Both have scratches and dings, Buzzard. I said I was new to off-roading, not new to mistreating my vehicles.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
and with that i will leave this thread to fail on its own
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'd go for the tacoma since I'm assuming the 4runner is open diffs. At least the sport edition tacoma has an electronic LSD.

It also comes down to which you prefer to pack things in. 4 runners are nice for keeping things dry and sleeping in if you don't have a camper shell for the tacoma.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditstpk View Post
and with that i will leave this thread to fail on its own
Sorry to offend, Bandit. In my old age I've learned not to take myself too seriously.

Thanks for the feedback Steve, I'll read up on differentials and the electronic LSD.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Sorry to offend, Bandit. In my old age I've learned not to take myself too seriously.

Thanks for the feedback Steve, I'll read up on differentials and the electronic LSD.
sorry not to say you offended but you seem to know more than what you say..

Jedi5150?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
braaap

Yeah if you're going to do mild stuff the 4runner should do fine, but more traction is almost always better.

It might also come down to which one has better tires on it

Also I apologize for this random dude posting like he's drunk or something. We're not all like that around here.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Law Enforcement:
Quote:

Jedi5150?

Nice. Although in actuality, I've never heard of "5150" shocks. "5150" is the name of a Van Halen album (I'm a child of the 70's and 80's). The album title is based off of the California Welfare and Institutions code for "danger to self, danger to others, or gravely disabled"...in short; crazy.

Crazy jedi (jedi5150) has been my screenname for over a decade on forums ranging from advrider, to Snipershide, backpackinglight, flickr, etc. I'm a cop, and 5150 is a common phrase we use to describe people we meet almost daily. There you have it...way more info than you ever wanted to know about the most famous CA government code.

Thanks again, Steve, and no worries...I've got pretty thick skin.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Jedi5150?
5150 is LEO code for ~crazy subject.
Do a little google searching before you assume stuff.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Pabst knows best

i apologize for my rudeness last night, i was a little intoxicated lol
Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
braaap

Quote:
LOL who called it?!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
No worries, Bandit. Thanks for the apology but it's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
LOL who called it?!
Well played Steve.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
On a serious note, the Google pictures I've seen of Overland Expo suggests no tight spots where the narrower 4Runner might be better.

Mods, in order of importance (in my opinion)

AT or MT tires
Sliders
Skid plates
3" lift
High-clearance bumpers
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
On a serious note, the Google pictures I've seen of Overland Expo suggests no tight spots where the narrower 4Runner might be better.

Mods, in order of importance (in my opinion)

AT or MT tires
Sliders
Skid plates
3" lift
High-clearance bumpers
Thanks Ken, whichever I take will have a new set of AT tires on it. The Taco tires are almost bald anyways, so provided the same wheels can be used on either vehicle, the new tires will go on whichever truck I take.

I've got to look into a lift. The 4Runner suspension is shot anyways (according to my wife, who drives it). So maybe a lift would not be a whole lot more expensive than repairing the suspension to begin with? Just guessing here since I've never considered doing it before. I'd always heard, and maybe completely in error, that a lift can make a vehicle more inclined to mechanical problems. Is this true, or not really?

I've never been to the Expo before, but they are very clear to say in the course descriptions that these are not "wheeling" classes, or Baja 1000 in style. They are strictly to teach people better skills for safely traveling across rugged terrain.

Thanks.

Edited to add:
I'd always thought my white Tacoma was girly looking, but this Toyota picture by Tacoma13SR5 is the coolest looking Toyota I've ever seen...maybe I could learn to live with white if it had the right accessories:

Here is my stock 2009 Taco, on June Lake Loop, north of Mammoth:
Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
Señor Fresco
DannyBFresco is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
DannyBFresco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Edited to add:
I'd always thought my white Tacoma was girly looking, but this Toyota picture by Tacoma13SR5 is the coolest looking Toyota I've ever seen...maybe I could learn to live with white if it had the right accessories:

Here is my stock 2009 Taco, on June Lake Loop, north of Mammoth:
I didn't like my Taco being white until I started looking at the stormtroopers on TW...now I love it in white!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Sell them both and get a Prius
Attached Thumbnails
New to "off roading" which Toyota question-prius_monster_truck.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
Sell them both and get a Prius
Now that's badass, 50 mpg's and big tires I like.

Brett