Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Breaking in new Tacoma engine?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
kylegonzalez is on a distinguished road

Name: KG
kylegonzalez's Tacoma Gallery
Breaking in new Tacoma engine?

Hello everyone, just bought a new 2013 Tacoma not even 2 weeks ago and I have been hearing more and more about breaking in the engine because its so new and not driving it at higher RPM's. I do alot of highway driving to and from work so its adding up the km's pretty fast so Im getting a little hesitant on what I should and shouldnt be doing? anyone have any info for me? anything is appreciated! thank you!.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
do a search, they are a few threads about it. the owners manual doesnt state any special care for break in. personally, i took mine easy and tried not staying too long at one speed with an oil change at 1000mi.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

most of the break in period stuff comes from older vehicles that had looser tolerances. today's vehicles are manufactured to extremely tight tolerances so it's "supposed" to be broken in out of the factory
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
There's a little section in the owner's manual about it. Pretty boiler plate:
Avoid sudden acceleration, vary the speed you're driving, don't slam on the brakes pretty much sums it up.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
do a search, they are a few threads about it. the owners manual doesnt state any special care for break in. personally, i took mine easy and tried not staying too long at one speed with an oil change at 1000mi.
The oil change is a good idea--gets rid of any break in material.
Cannot hurt to be a little easy on the engine for a while.
That philosiphy has worked for me.
Give the engine a chance to find any defects before you drive the hell out of it.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
The oil change is a good idea--gets rid of any break in material.
Cannot hurt to be a little easy on the engine for a while.
That philosiphy has worked for me.
Give the engine a chance to find any defects before you drive the hell out of it.
yeah, my oil looked 100% clean too, i was impressed.

and OP, i'll leave this here for you,
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ine-break.html
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
kylegonzalez is on a distinguished road

Name: KG
kylegonzalez's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome everyone thank you very much for the info, much appreciated!