1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It's a Tacoma Thing

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by spaghettiedy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Feb 20, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    ...you wouldn't understand. Not since I owned my old 1979 Jeep CJ7, have I experienced this phenonom. Just like a Jeep, you wouldn't know if you didn't own one. Random Tacoma owners will wave at you, say Hi at gas stations, give your truck the awesome stare-down that it deserves, and even ask you the year when going for coffee at your local Starbucks.

How many others experience this, and has it happend w/ any other vehicles that you've owned?

It's a Tacoma Thing, you wouldn't understand.

2. Feb 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    In parking lots when I am parked near another Tacoma often a conversation will begin with the owner on how much we love our trucks. Also a large portion of the Tacoma owners I run into are previous Tacoma owners and came back to them. As for the waving...not so much, I just get wierd looks from them most of the time.

3. Feb 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    I have had a few gas staions convos about the trucks and I work with a couple of guys with tacomas. No waves though.

4. Feb 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I get that alot here, since we do alot of get togethers here in san diego i spread the word here and there.its cool to see what people have done to thier trucks.

5. Feb 20, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I've done the "head nod" thing every once in a while and most of the Tacoma owners nodded back knowing what I meant. Don't wave to much because now-a-days, if you wave at someone, they take it more wrong then right. Seems like people can't even take a good compliment these days without thinking negatively first. But whatever, our world is going down the toilet anyways and those types of people are pulling the lever that flushes the toilet. Sorry, didn't mean to get off thread!!:(

6. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2...................:eek:

7. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    installersam

installersam Well-Known Member

Member:
    raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab

I wave, i like waving. usually get no wave back thats ok, every once and a while i get that wave. A victory for me, and that person. :)

8. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've got a Wrangler & a Corvette - so both of these vehicles have a history of *The Wave*

I haven't experienced that at all with Tacoma's....most drivers around here aren't 'enthusiasts'. You can tell when there's an 'enthusiast' - and I'll make the effort to wave, but never get waves back.

No biggie....

9. Feb 22, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound so offensive.:eek:

10. Feb 22, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Hope this doesn't sound bad, but most everyone here doesn't wave and that is because they may not speak english-enough said. But the mod truck guys stare and some taco waves.

But there is a crap load of chevy mall cruisers that will break there necks to look at the taco, I have caught them looking at it and I wave.
    I always think to myself, Yeah it looks good I would have bought a Taco too.

11. Feb 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    When I have the racks, kayaks and bikes on I always have people come up and talk to me whenever I stop. Its great at the beach couples come up and ask about my set up. We use our truck for so much fun stuff, Im just blessed that the wife loves it as much as I do. I bet she gets more waves than I do though.

12. Feb 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    millerstaco

millerstaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 dbl taco
    I understand, for I too am a Jeep owner. As the hiarchy determines. I am the guy with the lesser mods, so I wave first. Get alot of weird looks, but the folks with the mods, acknowledge.:wave:

13. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I wave. They generally wave back. Some people wave first. Been stopped at gas stations from domestic owners to ask about the truck. Ran into a guy at the shooting range. He was on station 3 outside and walked up to the fence to ask some questions. He had a silver access cab.

14. Mar 7, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    oh yes.... the "good ol' boys" always give me a wave.... there are not many tacomas around where i live, and only one tacoma that i regularly see that is lifted.... but yeah it has to be a toyota thing... those people never wave at me when i was driving my saturn....

but i believe that you have to know that your are driving a tacoma or toyota truck... and appreciate what it does for you.... the guys with the older toyota trucks seem to be the most likely to wave.... the guys with lifts and other mods are the next likely to wave....

but i keep passing people in the newer tacomas, tundras,and 4runners... day after day i wave at them...(because im an offender of the "tacoma thing") and they never wave back.... its almost like they dont know what they are driving.... or dont care... might as well be a ford or something.....

i was at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago and a tundra pulled up and parked beside me.... he got out and said "nice truck" i said thanks.... yours looks pretty sweet too.... as we are walking in im being questioned about where my paintjob was done and what size lift and tires...and all that bs....... and the pawn shop attendent came over and joined the conversation... and said "is that a ford ranger?" i said hell no!!! its a toyota tacoma...... and the tundra owner says " thats a toyota?".......
    That is the kinda thing that kills me....... imo... that guy didnt deserve to drive a toyota....

But then again... im always bitter towards stupid people....

Ohhhhh... and the thing that boggles my mind the most is how he didnt make the connection with my tacoma world sticker sitting there right infront of his eyes....gahhhhh

ill shut up now

15. Mar 7, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    I'm definitly a offender of the tacoma thing ive had a few gas station conversations and head nods but no waves I'm always wishing I had some TW buisness cards to hand out to other taco owners il be ordering some soon

16. Mar 16, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    I actually parked behind a gorgeous Taco a couple weeks ago hoping that I would meet them walking in or out of the restaurant. I get waves sometimes, mainly the one finger wave (not the "bad one finger wave") with the hand on the steering wheel. I try to acknowledge someone if I think they have a nice truck. I've wanted to tell people about TW, too. There are a few on campus I hvae thought about leaving a note on, but I don't wanna touch anyone's truck because I know how I am with that.

17. Mar 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    ArkTacomaFan

ArkTacomaFan Active Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD Ext Black
    I just bought my first taco and I get waives all the time. I was talking to a friend of mine about this the other day. I haven’t had anyone come up and talk to me at the pumps yet though. Mine is all stock so that’s probably why.

18. Mar 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i had a 68 camero RS/SS completley restored... that was a good conversation peice

19. Mar 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Leaving my neighborhood there is a four way stop at the end of the road my neighbor hoods on. The other day there was a Tacoma @ 3 ends o the 4 way stop. Both '09s and my '05. We was all checkin out each others trucks. Haha

20. Mar 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I posted this on another thread but this seems a good place to repost

Products Discussed in

To Top