Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

It's a Tacoma Thing

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
It's a Tacoma Thing

...you wouldn't understand. Not since I owned my old 1979 Jeep CJ7, have I experienced this phenonom. Just like a Jeep, you wouldn't know if you didn't own one. Random Tacoma owners will wave at you, say Hi at gas stations, give your truck the awesome stare-down that it deserves, and even ask you the year when going for coffee at your local Starbucks.

How many others experience this, and has it happend w/ any other vehicles that you've owned?

It's a Tacoma Thing, you wouldn't understand.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
In parking lots when I am parked near another Tacoma often a conversation will begin with the owner on how much we love our trucks. Also a large portion of the Tacoma owners I run into are previous Tacoma owners and came back to them. As for the waving...not so much, I just get wierd looks from them most of the time.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a few gas staions convos about the trucks and I work with a couple of guys with tacomas. No waves though.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I get that alot here, since we do alot of get togethers here in san diego i spread the word here and there.its cool to see what people have done to thier trucks.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
In parking lots when I am parked near another Tacoma often a conversation will begin with the owner on how much we love our trucks. Also a large portion of the Tacoma owners I run into are previous Tacoma owners and came back to them. As for the waving...not so much, I just get wierd looks from them most of the time.
Yeah I've done the "head nod" thing every once in a while and most of the Tacoma owners nodded back knowing what I meant. Don't wave to much because now-a-days, if you wave at someone, they take it more wrong then right. Seems like people can't even take a good compliment these days without thinking negatively first. But whatever, our world is going down the toilet anyways and those types of people are pulling the lever that flushes the toilet. Sorry, didn't mean to get off thread!!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
^^^ are we having a bad day ?^^^
X2...................
Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
installersam is on a distinguished road
installersam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Yeah I've done the "head nod" thing every once in a while and most of the Tacoma owners nodded back knowing what I meant. Don't wave to much because now-a-days, if you wave at someone, they take it more wrong then right. Seems like people can't even take a good compliment these days without thinking negatively first. But whatever, our world is going down the toilet anyways and those types of people are pulling the lever that flushes the toilet. Sorry, didn't mean to get off thread!!

I wave, i like waving. usually get no wave back thats ok, every once and a while i get that wave. A victory for me, and that person.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Wrangler & a Corvette - so both of these vehicles have a history of *The Wave*

I haven't experienced that at all with Tacoma's....most drivers around here aren't 'enthusiasts'. You can tell when there's an 'enthusiast' - and I'll make the effort to wave, but never get waves back.

No biggie....
Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
^^^ are we having a bad day ?^^^
Sorry, didn't mean to sound so offensive.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Hope this doesn't sound bad, but most everyone here doesn't wave and that is because they may not speak english-enough said. But the mod truck guys stare and some taco waves.

But there is a crap load of chevy mall cruisers that will break there necks to look at the taco, I have caught them looking at it and I wave.
I always think to myself, Yeah it looks good I would have bought a Taco too.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
When I have the racks, kayaks and bikes on I always have people come up and talk to me whenever I stop. Its great at the beach couples come up and ask about my set up. We use our truck for so much fun stuff, Im just blessed that the wife loves it as much as I do. I bet she gets more waves than I do though.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
millerstaco is on a distinguished road
millerstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I understand, for I too am a Jeep owner. As the hiarchy determines. I am the guy with the lesser mods, so I wave first. Get alot of weird looks, but the folks with the mods, acknowledge.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
I wave. They generally wave back. Some people wave first. Been stopped at gas stations from domestic owners to ask about the truck. Ran into a guy at the shooting range. He was on station 3 outside and walked up to the fence to ask some questions. He had a silver access cab.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

darkturtleninja's Tacoma Gallery
oh yes.... the "good ol' boys" always give me a wave.... there are not many tacomas around where i live, and only one tacoma that i regularly see that is lifted.... but yeah it has to be a toyota thing... those people never wave at me when i was driving my saturn....

but i believe that you have to know that your are driving a tacoma or toyota truck... and appreciate what it does for you.... the guys with the older toyota trucks seem to be the most likely to wave.... the guys with lifts and other mods are the next likely to wave....

but i keep passing people in the newer tacomas, tundras,and 4runners... day after day i wave at them...(because im an offender of the "tacoma thing") and they never wave back.... its almost like they dont know what they are driving.... or dont care... might as well be a ford or something.....

i was at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago and a tundra pulled up and parked beside me.... he got out and said "nice truck" i said thanks.... yours looks pretty sweet too.... as we are walking in im being questioned about where my paintjob was done and what size lift and tires...and all that bs....... and the pawn shop attendent came over and joined the conversation... and said "is that a ford ranger?" i said hell no!!! its a toyota tacoma...... and the tundra owner says " thats a toyota?".......
That is the kinda thing that kills me....... imo... that guy didnt deserve to drive a toyota....

But then again... im always bitter towards stupid people....

Ohhhhh... and the thing that boggles my mind the most is how he didnt make the connection with my tacoma world sticker sitting there right infront of his eyes....gahhhhh

ill shut up now
Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #15
ROLLIN ON RUST
senor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
senor taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm definitly a offender of the tacoma thing ive had a few gas station conversations and head nods but no waves I'm always wishing I had some TW buisness cards to hand out to other taco owners il be ordering some soon
Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniór taco View Post
I'm definitly a offender of the tacoma thing ive had a few gas station conversations and head nods but no waves I'm always wishing I had some TW buisness cards to hand out to other taco owners il be ordering some soon
I actually parked behind a gorgeous Taco a couple weeks ago hoping that I would meet them walking in or out of the restaurant. I get waves sometimes, mainly the one finger wave (not the "bad one finger wave") with the hand on the steering wheel. I try to acknowledge someone if I think they have a nice truck. I've wanted to tell people about TW, too. There are a few on campus I hvae thought about leaving a note on, but I don't wanna touch anyone's truck because I know how I am with that.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
ArkTacomaFan is on a distinguished road

ArkTacomaFan's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my first taco and I get waives all the time. I was talking to a friend of mine about this the other day. I haven’t had anyone come up and talk to me at the pumps yet though. Mine is all stock so that’s probably why.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 68 camero RS/SS completley restored... that was a good conversation peice
Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Leaving my neighborhood there is a four way stop at the end of the road my neighbor hoods on. The other day there was a Tacoma @ 3 ends o the 4 way stop. Both '09s and my '05. We was all checkin out each others trucks. Haha
Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #20
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I posted this on another thread but this seems a good place to repost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
I pulled into a parking lot and decided to park next to this OLD, but decent shape white tacoma. It was first year tacoma, 2 WD and white. My 2007 white TOWERED over it. The driver was getting out same time I was and he stopped to admire mine as I admired his, especially after he told me it had 420,000 miles on it. He said he never needed a 4wd, that if you knew how to drive a 2WD well there was no need (impressive since he was from michigan). He had rebuilt it ONCE and havnt had any problems with it! He showed me the odometer and I showed off a few mods (consisting of only the TSB haha) since I was actually picking up krylon fusion for the headlight mod and badges I know it doesnt count for anything but I figured you'd appriciate the story