Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

1991 V6 Electrical Wiring Question

Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
griff04 is on a distinguished road
griff04's Tacoma Gallery
1991 V6 Electrical Wiring Question

Recently purchased a 91 Toyota 4wd V6...I'm trying to cleanup under the hood in regards to wiring where the previous owner had added a lot of add ons like fog lights, air shocks, modified radiator fan and just a host of other items...in short I'm trying to declutter the dang thing, it's look like a bowl of spaghetti under the hood at the present moment.

I'm attaching a photo of 2ea 20amp fuses that are wired directly to the battery....really can't tell if this is part of the add ons or something that is stock and don't want to start snatching stuff out before understanding what the heck it is. The wires run up into the wiring harness so I'm thinking this may be stock but have never seen a setup like this before??

Does anyone recognize the fuses and can tell me what they are??

Thanks in advance,
griff
Attached Thumbnails
1991 V6 Electrical Wiring Question-fuse.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I would venture to say anything with an inline fuse like that is going to be aftermarket.
Mind me asking what griff stands for? My Grandpa and uncle both go by Griff, is the only reason I ask.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
griff04 is on a distinguished road
griff04's Tacoma Gallery

My dad went by griff, just caring on the legacy, actually it's short for Griffith.

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what the fuses are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
I would venture to say anything with an inline fuse like that is going to be aftermarket.
Mind me asking what griff stands for? My Grandpa and uncle both go by Griff, is the only reason I ask.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff04 View Post
My dad went by griff, just caring on the legacy, actually it's short for Griffith.

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what the fuses are for.
Haha, cool, on my moms side, the last name is Griffiths.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with TJ, the single fuses appear to be used for aftermarket devices. A quick way to determine what add on the fuse is used for is to turn on the accessory and pull the fuse. A word of caution. If you have an alarm, radio, etc., insure you have the reactive codes before you disconnect a battery cable or fuse. You also appear to have some terminal corrosion due to the miss match of metal types or oxidation.