1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird stalling problem

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by hal1999, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    hal1999

hal1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Pick-up
    tonneau cover
    Hi 2 weeks ago (after running some errands) my truck wouldn't start I pumped the gas peddle(stupid me - just felt like not enuff gas was going in) because when i tried re-starting it - it did run for a few seconds then stalled again - had to call AAA thinking I might have to have it towed When I told him I might have flooded the engin he got into the car and floored the gas peddle and it started right up and ran fine until a few days ago I got stuck again (60 miles from home) and had it towed to a AAA recommended garage The tech ran diagnostics - no engine code and had it running for about 2 hoours - also took it for a test drive for about 20 minutes He checked the fuel pump, battery etc. After leaving there I made 1 stop and got on the hi-way - it stalled while driving then started up again after 1/2 hours and made it home I brought it to the dealer and when they ran diagnostics they retrieved code 1300 #1 engine coil I had this coil replaced last Aug when I had my truck tuned up No problem since then but I'm in panic mode driving

2. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    Possibly a bad injector or fouled plug... :notsure:
    Maybe someone else can chime in and help you out more.

It could also be the coil but I doubt it since you said it just got replaced last year.

3. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It could be the fuel filter. On the 2.7, its under the intake manifold. Not a hard thing to change, just a bit tight to get too.

4. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    hal1999

hal1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Pick-up
    tonneau cover
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply I did have a tune-up done past Aug and they replaced spark plugs/wires and that ignition coil

5. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    hal1999

hal1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Pick-up
    tonneau cover
    fuel pump pressure was checked - ok - did not check fuel filter hmmm..... tech recommended putting some seafoam in the gas tank which I did - didn't seem to make any difference

thanks

6. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    drunktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    I would go with what Chris said about the fuel filter. Check it out and change it if you know how to. It's not hard and I'm sure there's probably a DIY write-up on here somewhere for it.

7. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    LX Campbell

LX Campbell Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LX
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Pick-up
    None
    I did not see where it referred to what kind of Pick up you have cuz I'm new-probably? I just recently bought a Toyota Tacoma access cab 4.0 ltr and with only 380 miles on the truck, it stalled seemingly not enough gas. Acted like what used to happen when the in-line gas filter was starting to clog or clogged. I had just poured into my gas tank some gas that was about a year old but treated for stability etc. I thought it was quite coincidental that I started having problem just after I poured the gas in??????? We had it towed to Toyota and they first replaced some air flow sensor which did not fix it and we had it towed again whereupon they replaced the fuel pump which did not turn out to be the problem. Finally, they pulled the gas tank and apparently cleaned it and said they blew out the gas lines? But they never really found the cause which bothers me. I have now put on an additonal 60 miles or so and it is now running very well. I guess I will never know if it was my fault? I just wanted to share the story with you so that you will know that you are not alone.

8. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    drunktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va

So you put year old gas in your new Tacoma, then it died until they drained the tank, cleaned it, and purged the lines and after that it was fixed? I'm going to say the gas was bad (could've had water in it if left outside) and what made you put that in there?

9. Jun 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    LX Campbell

LX Campbell Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LX
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Pick-up
    None
    It has been common practice for folks to put older gas into one's car in order to cycle the stored gas because, at least in the past, vehicles would accept it fine. As I stated previously, I believed the gas was OK because it was treated for storage but as it turns out I believe I was wrong. It is quite possible that newer engines will not accept this old practice so I learned a lesson. A little dumb but not stupid. Old accepted practices apparently do not work so well in new vehicles? lc

10. Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    hal1999

hal1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Pick-up
    tonneau cover
    Well my truck stalled out on me again(in the middle of traffic w/everyone honking their horn and yelling at me) - what is up w/that! Brought it to my mechanic w/check engine code #1300 - #1 ignition coil Today - part was still under warranty and he replaced it w/another at no charge He said he doesn't think that is the problem We shall see Has anyone had to have this coil go bad on them as a bad part? I just had it replaced this past Aug He checked everything else and fuel filter clean I only put good gas into my truck This last time I put some seafoam and premium gas thinking that maybe I got some bad gas somewhere but then it stalled on me this last time

11. Jun 22, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I had a similar issue years ago with my Porsche. The fuel lines were too close to the exhaust system and it was causing the gas to vapourize in the lines. The resulting vapour lock was stalling the car. It would run fine after it cooled. Something for you to look at. You seem to have no codes and it runs after its cooled sooooooo...

12. Jun 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    hal1999

hal1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Pick-up
    tonneau cover
    It appears that the ignition coil was the problem I haven't had any stalling issues w/my truck since they replaced it Has anyone had an ignition coil go bad on them after 10 months? My mechanic had a hard time believing that was the problem

Thanks to all who replied

Products Discussed in

To Top