Notices

anti theft via relay

Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
diesel mechanic
lunch box is on a distinguished road

lunch box's Tacoma Gallery
anti theft via relay

Im thinking of installing a relay with the coil side connected to the cigarette
lighter and the switched side on my ignition switch side, so basically you need to push the cigarette lighter in to start the engine, any thoughts im wondering if it might draw to many amps and blow a fuse, I know I can check the circuit and using ohms law figure it out, but anyone ever done anything similar using a relay as anti theft using existing switches?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting idea, i imagine the coil fuse is a big one, hence the need for a relay, sounds like it would work
Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
diesel mechanic
lunch box is on a distinguished road

lunch box's Tacoma Gallery
I will try this mod soon, right now im still dealing with urd 7th injector upgrade tomorrow is the fuel pump day so ill get around to it. but from my experience say the amp draw is higher than normal usually it will blow a fuse but it takes about a minute or two to blow a fuse the cigarette lighter will act as a momentary switch and not cause enough heat to blow a fuse, ill figure it out soon and useing ohms law, I assume it will cause a larger amp draw to trigger the relay so it may need larger wiring, once you use larger wiring you could use a larger fuse once again using ohms law, also it is standard to go a few amps larger, so itll take a bit but ill figure it out and post it.