Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Am I making a BAD decision?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dalton
loaderman82's Tacoma Gallery
Am I making a BAD decision?

I have a '91 pickup with 145,000 miles on it, drives and works great, but has a lot of rust on it. My buddy at work has a '80 pickup with the same amount of miles on it, drives and works great, and not an ounce of rust. I really don't know much about the 1980's pickups but I really like the body style. He is wanting $2500 for his and I think I can get about $3500 out of mine. I really just want to make the right decision on getting rid of mine and getting his. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Am I making a BAD decision?-img_0545-copy.jpg   Am I making a BAD decision?-img_0533.jpg  
Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
You have the 22re. He doesn't. Keep the 22re. It will last longer than your frame will.
I think that is his issue. His truck is rusting out. Motor won't cure that issue.

If you're worried about the rust, go for it.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
BigBoi is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
BigBoi's Tacoma Gallery
The '80 looks legit as fuuuuu
Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoi View Post
The '80 looks legit as fuuuuu
Old 08-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

Bump
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever makes you happy.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Whatever makes you happy.
X2.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
tomwopat is on a distinguished road

tomwopat's Tacoma Gallery
I can't give you any trading advice but if you don't want the 80's toyota, tell your friend I'll buy it.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

I failed to mention that the '80 has the SR5 package. So it's got A\C!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
backyard mechanic
aw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lyndhurst Truck Co.1
Name: Andrew
aw10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderman82 View Post
I have a '91 pickup with 145,000 miles on it, drives and works great, but has a lot of rust on it. My buddy at work has a '80 pickup with the same amount of miles on it, drives and works great, and not an ounce of rust. I really don't know much about the 1980's pickups but I really like the body style. He is wanting $2500 for his and I think I can get about $3500 out of mine. I really just want to make the right decision on getting rid of mine and getting his. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
imo.. find a shop that does work on painting cars etc... my boss just recently bought a 91' freight liner covered in rust... and brought it to the shop got it sand blasted and repainted and the truck looks great... dont know if that helps good luck!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8404 View Post
And 4wd? I like the older body style too but probably will need more work.
Yeah it's 4wd. He just put a new Weber carburetor this last weekend.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderman82 View Post
Yeah it's 4wd. He just put a new Weber carburetor this last weekend.
Hmmmm, red flag #1. New carb first, new crankcase next...