Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Tacoma Packages? Not sure what to get...

Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
hdsoland is on a distinguished road
hdsoland's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Packages? Not sure what to get...

I am looking to buy a 2013 tacoma this fall and there are so many options! I don't want to buy more accessories than I really need but I also need this truck to be my only vehicle that I can rely on for all of my basic needs. I don't tow too often, maybe once every two weeks or so, give or take. The heaviest thing I usually need to haul is a two place with two snow machines (snowmobiles you call them in the lower 48 I think) or two four wheelers. Also some gear to add to that. I want a good sound system but am curious to know if the package with the JBL is worth the extra money. I live in Alaska so I need a 4x4 but I am not sure whether I should get the TRD OR package with JBL etc... or if I should just get the SR5. I have been doing some research and there is a ridiculous amount of small options so some advice would be great!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
TRD off road had the rear locker so thats a nice option and add the tow package. I have heard disappointing things about the JBL and all that entune stuff.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
I am curious about the limited slip option and would like to know opinions on that as well. I am wondering if it would be a good thing to have pulling a two place or maybe even a 20ft or less boat? I am not quite sure what the difference is and what those options really mean....
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsoland View Post
I am curious about the limited slip option and would like to know opinions on that as well. I am wondering if it would be a good thing to have pulling a two place or maybe even a 20ft or less boat? I am not quite sure what the difference is and what those options really mean....
They no longer offer a mechanical LSD. The 2013 limited slip is controlled using the brakes. If your looking for the cheapest option to fill all your needs I would say SR5 4x4 with the tow package, and put in an aftermarket sound system. The off road has the rear locker which is nice, but I would say its not necessary for your needs.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
gjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud of

Air Force: 1st Recon Squadron
Name: Jerry
gjacobsjr's Tacoma Gallery
I have the JBL Entune and i love it. Sounds like i have a legit system in the truck. Only wish the doors didnt rattle. Time to mat them
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I towed my enclosed snowmobile trailer many many miles no problem with an 2006 4WD SR5 DC to our camp that is off a forest road & has a steep challenging driveway.
It had neither limited slip or a locker.
I just swapped out the stock Dunlop highway tires for a good set of All Terrains than eventually went to studded winter tires for better traction.
In Vermont the snow is unpredictable. Lots of hard ice pack.

My current 2013 Tacoma, I choose the TRD Off Road package mainly because I wanted some of the options that came with the package this time around.

Drive both and see what you like. I didn't choose the TRD Sport because I had a hard time with the scoop. I'm only 5'4" tall.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Thank you all for your opinions! Is it a pain to hook up an amp and additional subwoofer to the stock deck/system in these trucks? they are so nice and I would hate to have to pull it out and buy a different deck so I was going to see if anyone has hooked anything additional to the stock
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
JustinOK is on a distinguished road
Air Force: USAF Presidential Honor Guard (1998-2002)
JustinOK's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 2013 TRD Sport DC 4x4 last week and love it. The TRD Sport is nothing you need, but the seats are much nicer than my previous 2011 AC SR5. I think I would have been just as happy with a 4x4 SR5 though. Just bells & whistles in anything else unless you need more off-road capabilities.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOK View Post
I just bought a 2013 TRD Sport DC 4x4 last week and love it. The TRD Sport is nothing you need, but the seats are much nicer than my previous 2011 AC SR5. I think I would have been just as happy with a 4x4 SR5 though. Just bells & whistles in anything else unless you need more off-road capabilities.
Good point about the seats Justin.
I forgot that.
I too prefer the seats in 13 TRD OR compared to my 06 SR5 seats.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsoland View Post
Thank you all for your opinions! Is it a pain to hook up an amp and additional subwoofer to the stock deck/system in these trucks? they are so nice and I would hate to have to pull it out and buy a different deck so I was going to see if anyone has hooked anything additional to the stock
I have entune with JBL and love it but others don't. Just test one out at the dealer to see if it meets your standards. The draw back is you have to get entune to get JBL now which is a $1,500 add on.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
un2gsus is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aerospace Rescue & medic
Name: DAN
un2gsus's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 4x4 TRD with the winter package. Make sure you get the oil and coolant pumps in and plug them in at night during the winter. Also, get a battery box for below zero with a very strong battery.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by un2gsus View Post
Get the 4x4 TRD with the winter package. Make sure you get the oil and coolant pumps in and plug them in at night during the winter. Also, get a battery box for below zero with a very strong battery.

Excellent suggestion. I have the TRD off road and it came with everything I need and the entune system, even though it is not as good as it should be is not bad. I just don't eat at restaurants where I need to make reservations.
Maybe in future software upgrades they will add more to the menu I also like the XM
Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
OFF ROAD for additional traction if you are going to go off road... no need to spend more $$$ to get to the end of the trail when you have A-TRAC and a locking differential with the 4WD.

All Tacomas since 2009 have TRAC and AUTO LSD... but only the OFF ROAD 4WD has the locker and A-TRAC (which simulates the action of a front and rear lockers, on the front and rear tires)!