1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shocks, struts, or springs?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Misty B, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Aug 23, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    Misty B

Misty B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Misty B
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel, 250,000 miles
    250,000 miles and my 2004 2wd Tacoma is awesome....except for the ride. I drive with fists wrapped around the steering wheel. What do I need?!? Or where do I start? The mechanic said to start with front shocks but they were replaced 40,000 miles ago (by another mechanic). I just dont think he really looked it over.

Is there a common procedure that needs to be done to my high mileage Tacoma to get my good ride back for the next 250,000 miles?

2. Aug 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Control arm bushings, tie rod ends, rack and pinion bushings, sway bar bushings, wheel bearings, strut mounts, possibly ball joints -- basically anything that is rubber or that will wear could be suspect. Going through and replacing all of these items should definitely tighten things back up. Most are not very expensive, and doing all at once should save some labor cost rather than doing one thing and then going back to do another.

Also, not sure what shocks they put on, but the really cheap ones can make things ride even worse (Monroe, Gabriel). Bilstein's or the better KYB's are not much more expensive and will give a much better ride and handling.

3. Aug 23, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    Misty B

Misty B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Misty B
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel, 250,000 miles
    Thank you for your reply. Those terms sound correct! It's definitely a handling problem, not a bouncy problem. "Jarring" would help describe it too. Thanks again.

4. Oct 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.

x2

Products Discussed in

To Top