LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Should I sell my 93 4x4 for a 2001 Tacoma?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Javi22RE is on a distinguished road
Name: Javi
Javi22RE's Tacoma Gallery
Question Should I sell my 93 4x4 for a 2001 Tacoma?

First off, I love my old pickup. But it is frustrating at times. Actually most of the time. It started life as a 2wd pre runner type truck then I did a 4x4 chassis swap. Now its issue after issue. Also, I hate that it is so underpowered that it can't move out of its own way! Really frustrating on the way to every wheeling location. Idk I love its simplicity but it really needs a locker and more power lol.

My plan was to add a long travel set up with a locker which are pricey.

I've been contemplating selling it on craigslist but idk how much I would get for it.

The guy I bought it from has a green 01 Tacoma with 146k miles for $5000. Comes with a coil over lift and the factory rear locker. Extended cab.

No brainer or keep the old yota?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
bum.......
00yotasr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: lee
00yotasr5's Tacoma Gallery
sell to get new use taco that what I would do but depends on the 01 taco conditions. need more specs and price is low for an 01 something gotta be wrong
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00yotasr5 View Post
sell to get new use taco that what I would do but depends on the 01 taco conditions. need more specs and price is low for an 01 something gotta be wrong
It just got the timing chain and a few other things replaced. Its got dirty cloth seats but those can be cleaned. Exterior is in good shape; front bumper (the plastic part) is bent but that's ok. Its his baby; he's cared for it as such. He's not really looking to sell it due to his connection with it but he needs the money. 146k miles on it. It runs great and the locker works flawlessly.

My old yota has 103k original miles.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
buy it! if you really want that Tacoma just go for it
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
buy it! if you really want that Tacoma just go for it
I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. I was hoping someone would convince me haha. Its an ugly dark green too. But it has so much more capability than my old pickup.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
I don't care about you!
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi22RE View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. I was hoping someone would convince me haha. Its an ugly dark green too. But it has so much more capability than my old pickup.
Tough choice for you it sounds like. Sit down write a list of pros and cons of switching. Maybe that will help you decide. .
If it were me I would go 01 and move on.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
Tough choice for you it sounds like. Sit down write a list of pros and cons of switching. Maybe that will help you decide. .
If it were me I would go 01 and move on.
It really is. I have gone over pros and cons in my head, the Tacoma is clearly a better truck. Something about the pickup I love. Yeah the 01 is a better truck, but this one is green and I already don't like the front end on it. I like the 95 Tacoma front end.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
ntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ntydog13's Tacoma Gallery
The pickup is indestructible. Ya you may get more power with a newer truck but if u put a couple grand into your pickup out on the trail it will keep up just as well as any 1st or 2nd gen
Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It just got the timing chain and a few other things replaced. Its got dirty cloth seats but those can be cleaned. Exterior is in good shape; front bumper (the plastic part) is bent but that's ok. Its his baby; he's cared for it as such. He's not really looking to sell it due to his connection with it but he needs the money. 146k miles on it. It runs great and the locker works flawlessly.

My old yota has 103k original miles.
Shouldn't have a timing chain
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntydog13 View Post
The pickup is indestructible. Ya you may get more power with a newer truck but if u put a couple grand into your pickup out on the trail it will keep up just as well as any 1st or 2nd gen
I wouldn't say indestructible, mines falling apart at only 103k miles lol. Less parts to break I get that, but the Tacomas are durable as well. My bro in laws has 297k miles. Yeah, all that power isn't necessary to keep up on the trails but to keep up on the street with traffic it sure is. Although, it could be that I'm running heavy Tacoma 17" sport wheels with 33's.

Is that your pickup in your sig? Looks awesome! I plan for a LT kit and rear locker but with 4wd still. Things just keep going south with it. It now needs a new TPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
Shouldn't have a timing chain
?
Unless my terminology is incorrect, but it does have a timing chain behind the timing cover.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
ntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ntydog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wouldn't say indestructible, mines falling apart at only 103k miles lol. Less parts to break I get that, but the Tacomas are durable as well. My bro in laws has 297k miles. Yeah, all that power isn't necessary to keep up on the trails but to keep up on the street with traffic it sure is. Although, it could be that I'm running heavy Tacoma 17" sport wheels with 33's.

Is that your pickup in your sig? Looks awesome! I plan for a LT kit and rear locker but with 4wd still. Things just keep going south with it. It now needs a new TPS.

?
Unless my terminology is incorrect, but it does have a timing chain behind the timing cover.
1st gens have timing belts

Ya that's my truck in my Sig. I'm at 222k miles. But ya 33s with stock gearing and no engine mods to help either will defiantly get you nowhere in a hurry. I have rebuilt my engine and put a good amount of money into it and when I swapped to 33s I really felt the slow down however once I regeared it was an entire new story. I am looking into putting in the 3.4 into my truck but that's only because I want to start racing. The only time I have a trouble keeping up with the newer trucks is large hills especially with a bed full of camping gear. But when I get to where I'm going I know I have a slim chance of breaking down and if I do the odds of the local parts store having what I need in store that day to go home is high and the parts are cheap compared to having wait a day 2 and gave to deal with the high prices of the fancy new parts
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
you might be having issues because you did a 4x4 chassis swap and when you do things yourself sometimes they fail epically.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntydog13 View Post
1st gens have timing belts

Ya that's my truck in my Sig. I'm at 222k miles. But ya 33s with stock gearing and no engine mods to help either will defiantly get you nowhere in a hurry. I have rebuilt my engine and put a good amount of money into it and when I swapped to 33s I really felt the slow down however once I regeared it was an entire new story. I am looking into putting in the 3.4 into my truck but that's only because I want to start racing. The only time I have a trouble keeping up with the newer trucks is large hills especially with a bed full of camping gear. But when I get to where I'm going I know I have a slim chance of breaking down and if I do the odds of the local parts store having what I need in store that day to go home is high and the parts are cheap compared to having wait a day 2 and gave to deal with the high prices of the fancy new parts
Just Tacomas and the v6 3.0 right?

Awesome! It looks friggin sweet! Well the only time I have issues with the 33s is uphill. Can't keep up with traffic going up hill. It does perfectly fine on the streets here. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the factory 4.10s as it is very strong from stand stills with 33s. And my mph are off by 8-10mph. All my gear shifts are super close and tight as well compared to my bro in laws 94. Oh and in 4high I can let go of the clutch and gas pedal while in gear, and the truck will keep going. Even on smooth hills. Not sure if that's normal?
I do have long tubes, and a muffler as well as a K&N filter.
The 3.4 is a stout machine as well. That will definitely be good for racing. That's something for me to think about in the future. That is true on things that can go wrong out there. Locally for me though, not many parts in stock as its mostly new cars everywhere around here lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
you might be having issues because you did a 4x4 chassis swap and when you do things yourself sometimes they fail epically.
THe issues I am having are in no way related to the 4x4 chassis swap. TPS sensor is on the throttle body. Picked up a used one with warranty for $30. If it doesn't work I can trade it out.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
3.4l v6 =timing belt
2.7l/2.4l 4 cyl = timing chain
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
oh and as for weather or not to get the tacoma or not consider this, a 01-04 extended cab, v6, 4wd, with the elocker usually sells for around 12-15,000 with HIGH miles. so yea id jump on it
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the money, why not? If you're having troubles with your 93, I would trade/buy a newer tacoma. And that tacoma is at 146k miles for only $5k? If it is a clean truck with little or no rust, go for it!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
AeroKen is on a distinguished road

Name: Kendrick
AeroKen's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I'm late to the party, but if you're still thinking of doing this, get the potential-buy inspected by a third party mechanic who knows what he's doing.

If he took good care of it, it should be fine. I just passed along an 02 (just under 200k miles) Corolla to my little brother that had no major issues, beyond cosmetic issues and some stock/original parts beginning to wear out like the shocks (clutch may be beginning to wear out, but was still fully functional when I passed it along. I'm a light/easy clutch user though).

Anywho, always something that should be done. If they notice something major wrong and cut the inspection short, it should only cost like $50. Otherwise, $100-$200 for a more complete inspection. In looking for latest vehicle, I ultimately spent about 215 getting trucks inspected. The first one I had checked out misfired (GF said it was really obvious from outside, but it was only faint to me from in the cab, would never notice until I knew to listen for it; I learned something new; just don't have an ear for that stuff); I was ready to buy, but glad I spent the $50 and chose not to buy.

Eventually landed on a much newer model truck. Didn't expect to qualify credit-wise or get something with so low miles and made in the last decade, but there you have it.

Products Discussed in this Thread