Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Raptors are selling well...will Toyota ever notice?

Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
ToyoDrew will become famous soon enoughToyoDrew will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
ToyoDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Raptors are selling well...will Toyota ever notice?

So I just ran across this article that tells about how well the Ford Raptor is selling:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/12/f...or-sales-jump/

I had always felt that Toyota was starting to get the idea when they started making the T|X Baja, but now they seem to be going the wrong way by possibly discontinuing it (according to some rumors).

Maybe reports like this will make them think about keeping it around a little longer...at least until they can develop one to really compete with the Raptor using the 3rd gen (and a supercharger!!).

One can only hope!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Mama didn't raise no fool
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Travis
slaphappy's Tacoma Gallery
Are you comparing a full size Raptor to a mid size Baja?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Air Force:
Yes, but I'm really only comparing the ideas behind them...a performance-oriented off-road truck.

With the Tacoma being smaller/lighter, it has to potential to be better than the Raptor (with some exceptions like hauling as much).
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoDrew View Post
Yes, but I'm really only comparing the ideas behind them...a performance-oriented off-road truck.

With the Tacoma being smaller/lighter, it has to potential to be better than the Raptor (with some exceptions like hauling as much).
the payload for the raptor is awful (roughly 500 lbs IIRC), if toyota could keep a payload of ~700 lbs or higher that's a good step right there.
Plus the size difference, taco is a clear winner if you want to do slightly technical stuff.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3 View Post
Are you comparing a full size Raptor to a mid size Baja?
Sure is, and IMHO it isn't a terrible comparo. Toyota could take some of that market, but they just won't. They shy away from the high performance stuff out of the chute, and I am not really sure why. Might be about their ideals of reliability or something like that...
Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Quote:

I gotcha, I figured that's what you meant haha.

The Raptor is a very cool truck. $$$ as hell, but for what you get they're pretty sweet.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
machineman89 will become famous soon enough

Name: Matthew
machineman89's Tacoma Gallery
If I was spending that much money for sumthen that big I'd personally go this route. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/12...d-concept.html
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I hope they don't catch on. Then they'll end up selling whatever is popular instead of quality. Like, I don't know, a bro-mobile . . .
Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Its still a Ford
Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineman89 View Post
If I was spending that much money for sumthen that big I'd personally go this route. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/12...d-concept.html

I just threw up in my mouth a little... 2014 GM pickups are horrid to look at.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Be interested to see a Tundra with a ground clearance and an actual off road package.

I'm quite satisfied with TRD Off Road. If only they'd come stock with BFG A/T rather than Rugged Fails.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Be interested to see a Tundra with a ground clearance and an actual off road package.

I'm quite satisfied with TRD Off Road. If only they'd come stock with BFG A/T rather than Rugged Fails.
I agree with the BFG A/T stock. Deffinately a better, and better looking tire.

im not sure why toyota went away from them, they were offered for years on pickups and 4runners.

The TRD Off Road is a great package, but they have some drawbacks Toyota has been forgetting about..
-pussy rear springs (no tsb 12-13)
-what they call skid plates.. (2013 has platic tank plate)
-plastic 33 feet long mudflaps
-BFG rugged trails?
-same minimal ground clearance as a "sport"

they have done some things that other "off road" trucks dont get
-atrac
-locker

I installed the Baja suspension ($1550) and added a leaf and i love it. I was suprised how much better the upgraded shocks are (over trd sport, OR, sr5 and bilstien 5100) And i see no reason why all TRD OR package trucks shouldn't come with the same setup. In the end even if they bumped the OR sticker to offset what would it raise the package price.. $600 at most (i should say what should it raise)

I really wanted the baja truck, even though its way overpriced. But the good folks here lead me to the decision that i can upgrade the OR for $1550

Yes i know there are plenty of aftermarket setups, but they are all aftermarket. For my warranty and because i had driven the baja package a couple times and really liked how it rides etc, i went that way.

The raptor is cool, but its even worse than the Baja tacoma for markup, and 90 % of them probably never leave the road. There are dozens of them around here to be conservative and i have only ever seen 1 at a local wheeling place. one time, and it met an early demise trying to show up an 81 toyota.

I liked the comparison that was done between the raptor, tacoma baja, and power wagon. Although it wasnt entirely apples to apples they highlighted some good points,

The raptor was 17k MORE than the already spendy Baja tacoma, but it has a better thought out overall pile of goodies
the power wagon is a beast. but its not a toy.
and some others

If i had raptor money to spend, and current experience i would have bought Sr5 taco DC LB and used the leftover 24k for upgrades.

I was in iraq when the raptor came out and i really thought about buying one, i didnt because its a FORD and im glad now because they are EVERyWHERE and i really would have missed the midsize truck.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
TAP Auto Parts
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Heres what you do. Buy the Tacoma you want, not the Baja. Take the money you saved over a raptor and give it to me with your truck. You will have a Raptor killer in all aspects.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Without a warranty unfortunately...

That being said, I wouldn't keep it stock so the parts in question wouldn't matter anyway. The interior is nicer anyway
Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
Don't Compromise; Notarize!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Without a warranty unfortunately...

That being said, I wouldn't keep it stock so the parts in question wouldn't matter anyway. The interior is nicer anyway

From what I've read online, the 'warranty' on the Raptors only applies if you don't offroad the truck. Ford has an "Abuse" clause in their warranty disclaimer, which gives them a handy sidestep for bent frames (common), blown shocks, broken engine/transmission mounts, sand-blasted paint, etc.
I even remember reading a while ago about a guy that brought his truck in for a ridiculously noisy engine, only to have Ford deny his warranty claim based on the three pounds of sand they found in the air filter box.

A quick google search of "Ford Raptor Warranty Denied" will give you a pretty lengthy list of things that aren't covered.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #17
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Bet it would ride really nice being able to haul even more weight.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
TAP Auto Parts
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
What warranty? Ford doesnt have any special warranty on the Raptor. Take it offroad, blow a shock, its on you...
Old 09-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #19
rockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant future

rockhopjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my Baja specifically because it was an alternative to the Raptor. I don't put it in the same category, but it was an off the shelf alternative, that got better than 13 MPG. I drive back and forth from Western MT and SW ID to North Dakota about once a month (I average around 2000 miles a month just for work). I don't do hardcore offroading, but I do spend a LOT of time bombing down semi-tractor trailer beat dirt roads, which were beating me to death in my Duramax. I also have to be able to get where I need to go, quickly, in any weather conditions. So far, the Baja has been great, I am already saving around 15% on fuel over the Duramax, and if I hit a bath tub size pot hole at 60-70, I know the truck will just shake it off. I do miss the power of my Duramax, but I am not sure I'd ever fully exploit the suspension of the Raptor. I also saved the 15k over a well equipped Raptor, and I am the only Baja around, while Raptors are a dime a dozen.

That being said, if I could have gotten a Tacoma with an even longer travel suspension and a factory installed S/C for a few thousand more, I would have probably bit.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #20

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopjohn View Post
I bought my Baja specifically because it was an alternative to the Raptor. I don't put it in the same category, but it was an off the shelf alternative, that got better than 13 MPG. I drive back and forth from Western MT and SW ID to North Dakota about once a month (I average around 2000 miles a month just for work). I don't do hardcore offroading, but I do spend a LOT of time bombing down semi-tractor trailer beat dirt roads, which were beating me to death in my Duramax. I also have to be able to get where I need to go, quickly, in any weather conditions. So far, the Baja has been great, I am already saving around 15% on fuel over the Duramax, and if I hit a bath tub size pot hole at 60-70, I know the truck will just shake it off. I do miss the power of my Duramax, but I am not sure I'd ever fully exploit the suspension of the Raptor. I also saved the 15k over a well equipped Raptor, and I am the only Baja around, while Raptors are a dime a dozen.

That being said, if I could have gotten a Tacoma with an even longer travel suspension and a factory installed S/C for a few thousand more, I would have probably bit.

Although it may not be the majority (which is also true of the Raptor), there is definitely a need such as yours for a Baja that just make sense.

A supercharger would be a great addition for sure!!