Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

How should i Build my 82'?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
How should i Build my 82'?

Well i've just recently aquired my first real truck i bought, an 82' TOyota P/U.

It's 4wd which i like now because now i can properly build this specifically for trails and leave my Prerunner to the Expo/camping that i intended it to be used for.

Now i dont know much of anything about modding these so if anyone could point me in the right direction i'd highly appreciate that.

I intend on trailering it out to the trails.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Crawl max it out
This is the plan but im not sure how to go about doing that. I saw some sweet ass rigs climbing rocks at Gulches yesterday and i knew thats what i wanted to do.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
first things first.... DO A BUNCH OF READING. find out what you want to do and what works well for that.

Suspension, lockers/gears, crawler tcase, bumpers, sliders, armor, winch, wheels/tires, driveshafts, hydro assist steering, dual batteries, oba/powertank

http://www.marlincrawler.com/

https://www.allprooffroad.com/pickup...kupextremelift

http://www.trail-gear.com/

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronlane View Post
Suspension, lockers/gears, crawler tcase, bumpers, sliders, armor, winch, wheels/tires, driveshafts, hydro assist steering, dual batteries, oba/powertank

Forgot the small block chevy
Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronlane View Post
first things first.... DO A BUNCH OF READING. find out what you want to do and what works well for that.

Thanks! I will visit these and figure out what i want.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
More pictures?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Treat it good because those old yotas will one day be collectibles
Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
AKA Crash Bandicoot

This will be a trail king i've decided, i dont want to go all out with high-end parts if i can find cost-effective means of making high in articulation,crawling,and reliability.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
That's in damn good condition for an 82. I'd go full restoration back to original stock, but that's just me (I do vintage guitar restoration, like seeing old stuff brought back to original spec and good working order).

Kinda doesn't matter what you do because unless you wrap it around a tree you're not going to kill that truck. Read everything you can here. Lotta smart, mechanically talented guys with a lot of good ideas. Read, wait, make a plan, and then follow it all the way through. That's what the guys with the best build threads here do, and the results are often spectacular.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for a "resto-mod" of sorts, where it looks mostly stock but has some updated running gear like a 2.7L I4 or a built 22RE, disc brakes and a 5 speed manual if it's only a 4 speed. That's what I would like to do someday when I have the extra cash. I love the old long-bed trucks like yours, it would be a shame to chop its bed down and turn it into a rock-crawler.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
everything you ever wanted to know

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...faq-2-0-a.html
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Slap some mud tires on there and go wheel

Fix/upgrade things when they break

Upgrade more when you find something you can't do

be prepared to pay...this will be an expensive hobby

Also...learn to weld and change a birf
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Jesus.... I think im gonna clean her all up, put new fluids, slap some mud tires on and go from there.

That really is a Toyota bible...
Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery

Got me one last wednesday :]
Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Slap some mud tires on there and go wheel

Fix/upgrade things when they break

Upgrade more when you find something you can't do

be prepared to pay...this will be an expensive hobby

Also...learn to weld and change a birf
I thought its funny we posted the same thing pretty much.

I do think im going to do exactly that, wheel her in the stock form and when stuff break, upgrade some more.

This is my only real hobby besides soccer so im prepared to pay.

I'm taking welding classes this summer so i'll be able to work on my own truck

Thanks for the tip Jeff!