1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

79-95 toyota help and parts here!

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Konvict KROG, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    92yotapu

92yotapu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    32in tires, blacked out rims grill and door handles
    Whats the issue your having

2. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG [OP] Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    The truck came from cali, The previous owner did a timing chain swap on it and had it wrong, bent the valves.

Then i bought it and it sat for the last 2 years or so and i pulled the head and threw the new head on, but could not get the ignition timing right, it would float etc.

Then my friend came over and over a night of some beer attempted to help, somehow the mechanical timing got changed (we thought may be a tooth off) and i did not check it after he changed it. So it didnt work and sat for a few months.

Then i brought it around front the other day and pulled it apart and set the timing myself, it was upside down on the cam.. No damage, and it "ran" because the distributor was 180 out as well.

Anyway i fixed all that, rechecked the compression (my MAC compression tester was missing the schrader vavle so that took awhile) and then it fired up and ran good, But runs like it has old gas.

Im sure the gas is junk, its got a new filter etc, mechanical timing is great, valves are great, injectors and filter etc are all clean so once i get some free time im going to get some new gas, i thought about 3 months ago i put fresh gas in but the gauge says zero (went to take it around the block and realized that) so it may or may not have gas left in it.

I adjusted the ignition timing and idle etc to "ball park" figures, and if fresh gas does the trick i will be in the money as they say :)

It took me some serious searching but i finaly got the diagram i needed adn there was no idle air control valve (old style) on the manifold, it was a new style lower with an old style upper so i fixed that and now its really just down to having the time to clean the bugs out.

When i got it there was also a huge crack in the exhaust manifold.

And the truck has all EGR removed, so that does not help with initial bug chasing

3. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    so far it idles good but has a miss, stutter, when trying to drive..

i also have to replace the tailgate latch and drivers window regulator

4. Oct 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    DaBears

DaBears Well-Known Member

Member:
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    10 trd sport
    I have a 86 4 runner. would you be able to get a power steering gearbox for cheaper then the $266 price I keep finding on WWW. ? If not I'll just order my own.

PS I could probably find some other things (I need) I could ask about with enough time, such as rear glass track, gas tank, rear can holders, the list could go on but I haven't drove it in about three months due to the steering wheel acting like a roulette wheel.

5. Oct 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I actually just sold the IFS system i had in kansas.

in about a month or so i should be going to Iowa and i have a few IFS trucks i can check to see if any of the steering boxes are non-leakers.

I have an 85 4runner i rolled with a tank, i dont know its condition untill i pull it, and its also in iowa i will have to check.

I don't have any good rear gates, or tracks/glass those things are like gold anymore.

Are they take-offs or rebuilt for $266

second gen 4runner steering gearboxes are a better ratio for driving if you can find one :)

6. Oct 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    DaBears

DaBears Well-Known Member

Member:
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    10 trd sport
    266$ is how much they cost w/ core charge at the local advanced auto parts, AUTOZONE, and almost all places online. my gas tank can only be filled half way if not it leaks out. A lot of the rust is the cause of that one. It is just a toy at this point and time, so I am not in any rush. I usually lurk on here after the kids go to bed and noticed parts, so it peeked my interest.

7. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I had a tank here in kansas, just scrapped it after it sat on CL for a year.

The tank in my Dads plow truck had a hole half way up from a broken leaf spring for 3 years. I could never figure out why he did not fix it. lol

I wouldn't know about parts like that from an auto parts store lol i run them until i break them and grab another one.. Quite a few parts im getting short on since i have not bought any parts trucks in a few years (they are getting few and far between) i have probably scrapped 10 tons min of parts that i wish i would have kept because nobody has them anymore.

8. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    92yotapu

92yotapu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    32in tires, blacked out rims grill and door handles
    Try Rockauto.com thats where I get most of my parts

9. Oct 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    The bench seat in the 94 4WD i am restoring is shot. My son does not want another one so I went searching for bucket options. I went to Corbeau's website and found some nice options but when it came to seat rails it got confusing. They had an option for bucket or for bench. Since that didnt say if it meant what you had now or what you wajnted, I sent them an email. Their answer was even more confusin, talking about measurements between holes and stuff. What seat options are available for putting buckets in this truck? Junk yards are nearly non-existent here.

10. Oct 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    They had buckets, sr5 buckets (like sport seats) those two had same brackets, base model bench seat and 60/40 split benches in that year.

89-95 seats are direct bolt in and 84-88 pickup and 4runner seats will wit with a little bit of persuasion on the brackets (4runner seats had slightly different track)

11. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    tickle

tickle New Member

Member:
    kingston, ontario
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    3 inch body lift, 16 inch rims,265/75R16 tires
    I bought my first Toyota pick up recently. Great deal and loved it but the rear went on it and I can't find one any where. It is a 1992 Toyota pick up 3Litre V6 5speed 4 wheel drive. I just found a cheap 1993 Toyota T100. Does anyone know if the diffs would work in mine? Thanks for any help you can give me. Getting really frustrated.

12. Nov 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Yes they will.

13. Nov 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    hiddevdkamp

hiddevdkamp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hidde
    Vehicle:
    2.0L diesel truck
    bush bumper, front and rear
    I got a Toyota 1987 diesel 2.0l with manual
    Locking hubs. My left hub switch only goes about
    Half way and than stops, the other side fully engages
    And the 4x4 does work once I engage the right,
    But the left doesnt seem to work. Does anyone
    Know what this means?
    Thanks

14. Nov 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Usually it means that there is gunk in the lockout that is jambing it up. Probably water got in there and a little rust and nasty grease stop up the operation.

The outer part with the knob unbolts and the inner workings slide out with it, look it up and there is probably a step by step out there if you have questions but in most cases I have seen you can clean them out and get them functional again.

If not a set of solid axel lockout hubs go for about $100 bucks. Buy factory toyota/aisin ones the superwinch and warn hubs as well as the Chinese replacement hubs are not as good.

15. Nov 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Also the hubs should normally be in "free" when you take them apart because that's how the little cog wheel is captured against the plate when you take it out if it is in "lock" or halfway between just be gentle and carefully remove it so you don't breal or lose the spring etc

16. Nov 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    If you can't find the how to you need let me know and I will go out and make a video of how to take one apart for you

17. Nov 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    hiddevdkamp

hiddevdkamp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hidde
    Vehicle:
    2.0L diesel truck
    Thank you so much! Ill try that!

18. Nov 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    No problem. I just realized yours is an 87, the process and problem is the same but the IFS hubs can usually be had for about 75-100 depending on condition. I was thinking pre 85 since they didn't imoort diesels to the US afer 85. Where are tou located?

Also. Welcome to TW

19. Nov 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    hiddevdkamp

hiddevdkamp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hidde
    Vehicle:
    2.0L diesel truck
    I'm from Alberta Canada! Haha

20. Nov 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    Javi22RE

Javi22RE Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javi
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    1993 Pickup 5spd/4x4 chassis swap
    Hey Konvict KROG, I've been researching and looking over a lot of the items that you have listed as causes for my surging idle. I may have finally found the culprit, or not?

The Dashpot. My truck does not have one? The little circular object with the bracket is there but there is no line or wire attached to it or the screw whichever is the actual term. Nor does it have the Throttle Stop Screw.

I'm not sure if its always been missing or not but this issue only happened after I had a toyota mechanic friend change the head gasket for me. And I can tell you now, I know he rushed on my motor because he left a couple oil pan screws off and the header wasn't tightened up all the way etc.

I can post a pic if needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top