1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

79-95 toyota help and parts here!

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Konvict KROG, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Oct 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG [OP] Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    If you have some unsolved mystery or question here isa great place to ask and share.

I own and have owned many old Toyota trucks and a few 4runners and I love them.

Along the way I have figured out things and pickup up info and would be glad to help anyone if I can!

I also have, and have access to get many old toyota parts so if there is something you need shoot me a PM or just ask it here and ill see what I can do. I used to part them out but I really don't anymore since I can't stand to cut them up.. That and I don't have the time.

I posted here because its more of an open discussion and or request thread vs a list of parts for sale. That and maybe someone will have a problem I can learn from as well! I'm sure there are other members willing to help.

2. Oct 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    ffdawson

ffdawson Dirt Head

Member:
    Penngrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail 6spd
    Kings, Armor, big taaaarrrs
  3. Oct 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Javi22RE

Javi22RE Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javi
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    1993 Pickup 5spd/4x4 chassis swap
    Good to get a thread like this going with someone willing to help others out. I'm still searching for my crappy gas mileage fix. New plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, timing is set at factory specs, maf sensor (brain fart on the name for our set up, I know its not maf) works well, no vacuum leaks, brake booster seems to be ok, idle is correct, tps was just replaced, not sure what else to check anymore.

But it could be that this thing has different gearing than stock as it is way too peppy in 1, 2, 3, and 4 with 33s on the street. Swapped in a diff from a donor truck awhile ago, didn't check the gearing.

4. Oct 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    at first i thought it was an RC truck lol

the CL post was flagged for removal

I have never been around the prerunner type trucks since i am from the midwest.. But it would be fun if i lived somewhere that i could use it

5. Oct 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    From my old trucks, every single one with tires bigger than 31x10.5 got terrible MPG for being a 4cyl

gearing def can be a part, my truck with 4.88 and 35x15.50, welded diffs and lockouts on the front only got 11-12 mpg.

My 85 with 32x10.5 in all proper specs and driving nicely usually only got around 16 mpg average but was a dog.

My Dads 85 with 31x10.5 and 4 inch lift gets about 21 mpg highway, 4.30 gears but he drives extremely nice. Before the lift he averaged about 22-23 with the same size tires

My 81, with 31x11.5 swampers gets about on the highway with 4.37 gears and 17-18 with 31x10.5 street tires.

Making sure the AFM and everything is in spec is usually the first step, i have seen more than a few 22r and 22re trucks that have been 1 tooth off on the timing chain with everything else in spec and they usually know its off with bad MPG

A worn chain will also cause you to get worse MPG even if its not worn to the point of rubbing your timing cover.

With the new TPS did you adjust it with a multimeter after installing it?

6. Oct 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    just uploaded a pic of my old mans 81 "big red"

its been a long debate between my sister and I as to who gets it.

[​IMG]

7. Oct 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Javi22RE

Javi22RE Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javi
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    Wow mileage really differs with the changes. A gear change will affect mileage that's forsure along with different tire sizes. I may have to get some street tires and wheels as soon as I can get a job.
    When it was still 2wd and had 31" mud rovers it got really good gas mileage for what it was. Not with 4wd and 33's and some annoying misfire at times I barely see 11mpg.

It was recently rebuilt so the timing chain and guides are good. The head was also rebuilt along with new valves. I tried to rebuild it myself but couldn't get it to start after setting timing. So I had a 22re master mechanic friend check it out and fix it, so I know timing is spot on.

I have test fit 3 AFM's and the results stayed the same. I do have a K&N in there now, but also before with a paper filter it felt the same.

No I did not use a multimeter to install the TPS unfortunately. Basically I marked it exactly where the old one was and placed the new one the same exact way. But the TPS was not faulty to begin with so it changed nothing.

8. Oct 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    92yotapu

92yotapu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    32in tires, blacked out rims grill and door handles
    I drive about 20 to 30 miles a day and I get about a week and a half on a full tank in my 92 on 32x11.50 falken wildpeak ats

9. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    Javi22RE

Javi22RE Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javi
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    You have no idea how jelly I am! I wish I was getting that mileage! Up until mine suffered a blown head gasket it would go a solid 14 days on one tank but I don't drive much. Maybe a trip to the desert on the weekend about 65 miles round trip, then 10 miles daily; I still only saw about 170ish miles per tank. Now I'm lucky to see 150.

10. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    Stupid hurts.

Stupid hurts. Hoogie boogie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    So☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Impluse Red Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    American Motorsports Front Long Travel Kit, Total Chaos Rear Dual Shock Hoop Kit, Engage 50T Leaf Pack, Engage Front & Rear Hangers, American Motorsports Shackles
    My buddy has an '83 4x4 and is looking for a new dash piece where the radio goes. Please let me know if any of you guys have one or know of one. Thanks!

11. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    92yotapu

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    Socal mini truck in montclair its a salavge yard that will have anything you need for older pickups

12. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    92yotapu

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    Have you done valve adjustment or intake cleaning ?

13. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Stupid hurts.

Stupid hurts. Hoogie boogie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    So☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Impluse Red Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    American Motorsports Front Long Travel Kit, Total Chaos Rear Dual Shock Hoop Kit, Engage 50T Leaf Pack, Engage Front & Rear Hangers, American Motorsports Shackles
    Thanks for the heads up!

14. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    92yotapu

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    They pick the parts for you so none of the trucks have been messed with by idiot

15. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    92yotapu

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    What part of the mid West are you from

16. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
  17. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    theres one on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-TRUC...:1983|Make:Toyota&hash=item2c737003ff&vxp=mtr

also jims toyota in colorado usually has just about anything

If he gets a good one dont let him cut it out for a aftermartket radio, they are pretty hard to come by uncut and nobody makes a replacement.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I am from Davenport Iowa

I live in kansas near ft riley

Also, other than a tooth off on timing having all of the tps, afm, distributor adjusted properly have a pretty stiff effect. (usually happens because of the tensioner when changing the chain) To check it pull you valve cover and rotate to TDC, but only rotate clockwise if you rotate it counter clockwise you wont hurt anything, but it well let the tensioner out and you won't show your mechanical timing correctly.. If you have to change it rotate the whole thing by hand a few full turns and check again to make sure its correct. This is one of the most common issues i have seen after taking apart. I have even done it myself.

The valves i personaly set to .007 and .011 with the feeler gauges slightly tighter than hayes manual specs. Also i do it one at a time, vs 2 at a time that some methods call for.

Vacuum leaks and EGR stuff can cause goofy running issues, so can taking the EGR off, which is what i am fighting on my 85 right now.

Easiest way to test for vacuum leaks is the carb cleaner method

The cold start injector has been known on 22re engines to continue running and waste fuel as well.

19. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    92yotapu

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    Cool im originally from moline, il been in cali for about 5-6 years now

20. Oct 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    this is the one im fighting right now lol
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top