Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

79-95 toyota help and parts here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Konvict KROG's Avatar
Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Joined: Aug 2013, #110115
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
79-95 toyota help and parts here!

If you have some unsolved mystery or question here isa great place to ask and share.

I own and have owned many old Toyota trucks and a few 4runners and I love them.

Along the way I have figured out things and pickup up info and would be glad to help anyone if I can!

I also have, and have access to get many old toyota parts so if there is something you need shoot me a PM or just ask it here and ill see what I can do. I used to part them out but I really don't anymore since I can't stand to cut them up.. That and I don't have the time.

I posted here because its more of an open discussion and or request thread vs a list of parts for sale. That and maybe someone will have a problem I can learn from as well! I'm sure there are other members willing to help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ffdawson's Avatar
Firefighter:
Joined: May 2011, #56362
Location: Penngrove
Gender: Male
Posts: 943
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
I'll start...

What do you think of this beast? Looks fun, don't have many details on it yet, but considering it. Already have a 4x4, so this is just more of a beater/ local dd, pick-em up truck...




http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4150390311.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Member
Javi22RE is on a distinguished road
Name: Javi
Joined: Feb 2013, #97865
Location: Chandler
Gender: Male
Posts: 33
Javi22RE's Tacoma Gallery
Good to get a thread like this going with someone willing to help others out. I'm still searching for my crappy gas mileage fix. New plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, timing is set at factory specs, maf sensor (brain fart on the name for our set up, I know its not maf) works well, no vacuum leaks, brake booster seems to be ok, idle is correct, tps was just replaced, not sure what else to check anymore.

But it could be that this thing has different gearing than stock as it is way too peppy in 1, 2, 3, and 4 with 33s on the street. Swapped in a diff from a donor truck awhile ago, didn't check the gearing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Konvict KROG's Avatar
Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Joined: Aug 2013, #110115
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdawson View Post
I'll start...

What do you think of this beast? Looks fun, don't have many details on it yet, but considering it. Already have a 4x4, so this is just more of a beater/ local dd, pick-em up truck...




http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4150390311.html
at first i thought it was an RC truck lol

the CL post was flagged for removal

I have never been around the prerunner type trucks since i am from the midwest.. But it would be fun if i lived somewhere that i could use it
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Konvict KROG's Avatar
Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Joined: Aug 2013, #110115
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi22RE View Post
Good to get a thread like this going with someone willing to help others out. I'm still searching for my crappy gas mileage fix. New plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, timing is set at factory specs, maf sensor (brain fart on the name for our set up, I know its not maf) works well, no vacuum leaks, brake booster seems to be ok, idle is correct, tps was just replaced, not sure what else to check anymore.

But it could be that this thing has different gearing than stock as it is way too peppy in 1, 2, 3, and 4 with 33s on the street. Swapped in a diff from a donor truck awhile ago, didn't check the gearing.
From my old trucks, every single one with tires bigger than 31x10.5 got terrible MPG for being a 4cyl

gearing def can be a part, my truck with 4.88 and 35x15.50, welded diffs and lockouts on the front only got 11-12 mpg.

My 85 with 32x10.5 in all proper specs and driving nicely usually only got around 16 mpg average but was a dog.

My Dads 85 with 31x10.5 and 4 inch lift gets about 21 mpg highway, 4.30 gears but he drives extremely nice. Before the lift he averaged about 22-23 with the same size tires

My 81, with 31x11.5 swampers gets about on the highway with 4.37 gears and 17-18 with 31x10.5 street tires.

Making sure the AFM and everything is in spec is usually the first step, i have seen more than a few 22r and 22re trucks that have been 1 tooth off on the timing chain with everything else in spec and they usually know its off with bad MPG

A worn chain will also cause you to get worse MPG even if its not worn to the point of rubbing your timing cover.

With the new TPS did you adjust it with a multimeter after installing it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Konvict KROG's Avatar
Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Joined: Aug 2013, #110115
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
just uploaded a pic of my old mans 81 "big red"

its been a long debate between my sister and I as to who gets it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Member
Javi22RE is on a distinguished road
Name: Javi
Joined: Feb 2013, #97865
Location: Chandler
Gender: Male
Posts: 33
Javi22RE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konvict KROG View Post
From my old trucks, every single one with tires bigger than 31x10.5 got terrible MPG for being a 4cyl

gearing def can be a part, my truck with 4.88 and 35x15.50, welded diffs and lockouts on the front only got 11-12 mpg.

My 85 with 32x10.5 in all proper specs and driving nicely usually only got around 16 mpg average but was a dog.

My Dads 85 with 31x10.5 and 4 inch lift gets about 21 mpg highway, 4.30 gears but he drives extremely nice. Before the lift he averaged about 22-23 with the same size tires

My 81, with 31x11.5 swampers gets about on the highway with 4.37 gears and 17-18 with 31x10.5 street tires.

Making sure the AFM and everything is in spec is usually the first step, i have seen more than a few 22r and 22re trucks that have been 1 tooth off on the timing chain with everything else in spec and they usually know its off with bad MPG

A worn chain will also cause you to get worse MPG even if its not worn to the point of rubbing your timing cover.

With the new TPS did you adjust it with a multimeter after installing it?
Wow mileage really differs with the changes. A gear change will affect mileage that's forsure along with different tire sizes. I may have to get some street tires and wheels as soon as I can get a job.
When it was still 2wd and had 31" mud rovers it got really good gas mileage for what it was. Not with 4wd and 33's and some annoying misfire at times I barely see 11mpg.

It was recently rebuilt so the timing chain and guides are good. The head was also rebuilt along with new valves. I tried to rebuild it myself but couldn't get it to start after setting timing. So I had a 22re master mechanic friend check it out and fix it, so I know timing is spot on.

I have test fit 3 AFM's and the results stayed the same. I do have a K&N in there now, but also before with a paper filter it felt the same.

No I did not use a multimeter to install the TPS unfortunately. Basically I marked it exactly where the old one was and placed the new one the same exact way. But the TPS was not faulty to begin with so it changed nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Member
92yotapu is on a distinguished road
 
92yotapu's Avatar
Marines: veteran corporal, mike battery 3rd battalion, 11th marines
Name: Joseph
Joined: Feb 2013, #97034
Location: Ontario
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 62
92yotapu's Tacoma Gallery
I drive about 20 to 30 miles a day and I get about a week and a half on a full tank in my 92 on 32x11.50 falken wildpeak ats
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Member
Javi22RE is on a distinguished road
Name: Javi
Joined: Feb 2013, #97865
Location: Chandler
Gender: Male
Posts: 33
Javi22RE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92yotapu View Post
I drive about 20 to 30 miles a day and I get about a week and a half on a full tank in my 92 on 32x11.50 falken wildpeak ats
You have no idea how jelly I am! I wish I was getting that mileage! Up until mine suffered a blown head gasket it would go a solid 14 days on one tank but I don't drive much. Maybe a trip to the desert on the weekend about 65 miles round trip, then 10 miles daily; I still only saw about 170ish miles per tank. Now I'm lucky to see 150.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Stupid hurts.'s Avatar
Name: Steven
Joined: Sep 2008, #9408
Location: So☆Cal
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,785
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
My buddy has an '83 4x4 and is looking for a new dash piece where the radio goes. Please let me know if any of you guys have one or know of one. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Member
92yotapu is on a distinguished road
 
92yotapu's Avatar
Marines: veteran corporal, mike battery 3rd battalion, 11th marines
Name: Joseph
Joined: Feb 2013, #97034
Location: Ontario
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 62
92yotapu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid hurts. View Post
My buddy has an '83 4x4 and is looking for a new dash piece where the radio goes. Please let me know if any of you guys have one or know of one. Thanks!
Socal mini truck in montclair its a salavge yard that will have anything you need for older pickups
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Member
92yotapu is on a distinguished road
 
92yotapu's Avatar
Marines: veteran corporal, mike battery 3rd battalion, 11th marines
Name: Joseph
Joined: Feb 2013, #97034
Location: Ontario
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 62
92yotapu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi22RE View Post
You have no idea how jelly I am! I wish I was getting that mileage! Up until mine suffered a blown head gasket it would go a solid 14 days on one tank but I don't drive much. Maybe a trip to the desert on the weekend about 65 miles round trip, then 10 miles daily; I still only saw about 170ish miles per tank. Now I'm lucky to see 150.
Have you done valve adjustment or intake cleaning ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Stupid hurts.'s Avatar
Name: Steven
Joined: Sep 2008, #9408
Location: So☆Cal
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,785
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92yotapu View Post
Socal mini truck in montclair its a salavge yard that will have anything you need for older pickups
Thanks for the heads up!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Member
92yotapu is on a distinguished road
 
92yotapu's Avatar
Marines: veteran corporal, mike battery 3rd battalion, 11th marines
Name: Joseph
Joined: Feb 2013, #97034
Location: Ontario
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 62
92yotapu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid hurts. View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
They pick the parts for you so none of the trucks have been messed with by idiot
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Member
92yotapu is on a distinguished road
 
92yotapu's Avatar
Marines: veteran corporal, mike battery 3rd battalion, 11th marines
Name: Joseph
Joined: Feb 2013, #97034
Location: Ontario
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 62
92yotapu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konvict KROG View Post
at first i thought it was an RC truck lol

the CL post was flagged for removal

I have never been around the prerunner type trucks since i am from the midwest.. But it would be fun if i lived somewhere that i could use it
What part of the mid West are you from
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
Senior Member
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Konvict KROG's Avatar
Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Joined: Aug 2013, #110115
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid hurts. View Post
My buddy has an '83 4x4 and is looking for a new dash piece where the radio goes. Please let me know if any of you guys have one or know of one. Thanks!
theres one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-TRUCK...7003ff&vxp=mtr

also jims toyota in colorado usually has just about anything

If he gets a good one dont let him cut it out for a aftermartket radio, they are pretty hard to come by uncut and nobody makes a replacement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Senior Member
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Konvict KROG's Avatar
Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Joined: Aug 2013, #110115
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92yotapu View Post
What part of the mid West are you from
I am from Davenport Iowa

I live in kansas near ft riley

Also, other than a tooth off on timing having all of the tps, afm, distributor adjusted properly have a pretty stiff effect. (usually happens because of the tensioner when changing the chain) To check it pull you valve cover and rotate to TDC, but only rotate clockwise if you rotate it counter clockwise you wont hurt anything, but it well let the tensioner out and you won't show your mechanical timing correctly.. If you have to change it rotate the whole thing by hand a few full turns and check again to make sure its correct. This is one of the most common issues i have seen after taking apart. I have even done it myself.

The valves i personaly set to .007 and .011 with the feeler gauges slightly tighter than hayes manual specs. Also i do it one at a time, vs 2 at a time that some methods call for.

Vacuum leaks and EGR stuff can cause goofy running issues, so can taking the EGR off, which is what i am fighting on my 85 right now.

Easiest way to test for vacuum leaks is the carb cleaner method

The cold start injector has been known on 22re engines to continue running and waste fuel as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
Member
92yotapu is on a distinguished road
 
92yotapu's Avatar
Marines: veteran corporal, mike battery 3rd battalion, 11th marines
Name: Joseph
Joined: Feb 2013, #97034
Location: Ontario
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 62
92yotapu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konvict KROG View Post
I am from Davenport Iowa

I live in kansas near ft riley

Also, other than a tooth off on timing having all of the tps, afm, distributor adjusted properly have a pretty stiff effect. (usually happens because of the tensioner when changing the chain) To check it pull you valve cover and rotate to TDC, but only rotate clockwise if you rotate it counter clockwise you wont hurt anything, but it well let the tensioner out and you won't show your mechanical timing correctly.. If you have to change it rotate the whole thing by hand a few full turns and check again to make sure its correct. This is one of the most common issues i have seen after taking apart. I have even done it myself.

The valves i personaly set to .007 and .011 with the feeler gauges slightly tighter than hayes manual specs. Also i do it one at a time, vs 2 at a time that some methods call for.

Vacuum leaks and EGR stuff can cause goofy running issues, so can taking the EGR off, which is what i am fighting on my 85 right now.

Easiest way to test for vacuum leaks is the carb cleaner method

The cold start injector has been known on 22re engines to continue running and waste fuel as well.
Cool im originally from moline, il been in cali for about 5-6 years now
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
Senior Member
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Konvict KROG's Avatar
Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Joined: Aug 2013, #110115
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
this is the one im fighting right now lol
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KYB Gas-A-Just for front of 79 to 85 Toyota truck AZ Sun Lover 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace 0 05-04-2013 11:36 PM
A few 95.5 parts yote69301 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace 4 08-15-2012 11:44 PM
anyone in the SDish area have any 79-81 toyota parts? DSMissed Mid West 0 03-22-2012 05:56 AM
Toyota parts 95-04 tacomas 04LTtacoma 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace 8 03-08-2012 06:23 PM
More parts off 95 yote69301 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace 8 09-17-2011 07:03 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.