TRD SPORT vs OFF ROAD package

Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
smunozam is on a distinguished road
Name: Sergio
smunozam's Tacoma Gallery
TRD SPORT vs OFF ROAD package

Hello,

I'm SMUNOZAM, from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico

I'm shopping for a new Tacoma here in Mexico and found this forum and decided to join in.

My question is:

How essential to off roading in sand (without getting stuck) is the Electronic Rear differential blocking option found in TRD off road packages and not offered in the TRD sport package.

Here in Mexico, the new 2013/2014 Tacomas 4x4 are offered in TRD sport package only... No TRD off road trim available here...

I intend to use this Tacoma for off road driving, mostly on sand (beaches)... I'm a bit worried that even if
I spend a ton of money for a new Tacoma 4x4, the more street wise design of the TRD sport package will not afford me off roading without getting stuck.

Or if I do get stuck, the non blockable rear differential will not help me get out as easily as an electronic blockable rear diff would...

Thanks for your input.

Sergio
Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
I think if your biggest problem is getting stuck in the sand. Then you should pick whatever truck you'd like. Playing in the sand is mostly about tires and tire pressure. I have a sport and fish from the beach all summer long. Never had any issues there and the sand is super deep.

WELCOME TO TW!!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
A rear diff lock would help you get unstuck if you did get stuck. But like steve said, just dont get stuck i wouldn't be using a diff lock driving at low speed in the sand anyway. When you take a tight turn one wheel will need to break traction and spin, it would be better to avoid that and only use the diff locker to get you out of a bad spot. If you are really worried about it get a winch and a land anchor.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3VE View Post
I think if your biggest problem is getting stuck in the sand. Then you should pick whatever truck you'd like. Playing in the sand is mostly about tires and tire pressure. I have a sport and fish from the beach all summer long. Never had any issues there and the sand is super deep.

WELCOME TO TW!!
Thanks for your reply... I'm quite the newbie here, so any tips on tire pressure for sand offroading will be greatly appreciated. My beach offroading will be onroute to duck hunting grounds on the Yucatan northern coast. We get quite a bit of Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal, Pintail, Red Head and the sort...
Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Tacomamba is on a distinguished road
Tacomamba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smunozam View Post
Thanks for your reply... I'm quite the newbie here, so any tips on tire pressure for sand offroading will be greatly appreciated. My beach offroading will be onroute to duck hunting grounds on the Yucatan northern coast. We get quite a bit of Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal, Pintail, Red Head and the sort...
I get finches in my yard. Sometimes doves. Wish I had ducks. Oh I tink I have to be 150 yards from resident.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomamba View Post
I get finches in my yard. Sometimes doves. Wish I had ducks. Oh I tink I have to be 150 yards from resident.
LOL! Your welcome to come down and sample our GREAT hunting grounds. Its a LONG duck season here... From late November to late March... Lots of fun to be had...
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
A rear diff lock would help you get unstuck if you did get stuck. But like steve said, just dont get stuck i wouldn't be using a diff lock driving at low speed in the sand anyway. When you take a tight turn one wheel will need to break traction and spin, it would be better to avoid that and only use the diff locker to get you out of a bad spot. If you are really worried about it get a winch and a land anchor.
You've just sold me on the Sport package! Thank you so much. I did think about the winch and land anchor, but I'm a bit concerned how mounting the winch up front might interfere with the air bag sensors.... Which I'm not really sure how they work... Again, any pointers are welcome...
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smunozam View Post
You've just sold me on the Sport package! Thank you so much. I did think about the winch and land anchor, but I'm a bit concerned how mounting the winch up front might interfere with the air bag sensors.... Which I'm not really sure how they work... Again, any pointers are welcome...
If you're concerned about the airbag sensors...

There are aftermarket front winch bumpers that are airbag compatible. They're not cheap...but they do exist. I had one on my 1st gen truck.

You'll really love the truck and the Sport.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Tmiller3063 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 559th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron (Civil Service)
Tmiller3063's Tacoma Gallery
Why get a Tacoma when you could get a Hilux!!!! I wish we had access to them in the USA