Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Sequoia 4WD Questions

Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
off road is on a distinguished road
off road's Tacoma Gallery
Sequoia 4WD Questions

I have a new Tacoma, and in the process of studying up on all the different 4WD modes, it occurs to me that nobody at my work really knows all the different 4WD modes on the 2010 Sequoia that we have.

I have read all the Tacoma stuff like: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nd-i-hope.html

The Sequoia seems to be basically similar.....but there is no A-TRAC button, and there is a center differential lock button as well. From what I can figure out (owner's manual), it is in A-TRAC by default whenever you go into 4Wd (both Hi or Low), and when they refer to TRAC in the manual, it is only in regards to 2WD. And, there is no mechanical rear diff lock, as far as I can determine.

The center diff lock is also a bit confusing. Can this vehicle be driven on dry pavement in 4WD, with the center diff unlocked (full-time 4WD)? I have something like this on a Suburban, and boy is it nice in the snow when you are going back and forth between dry pavement and icy patches (front only pulls when the rear begins to slip). Keeps you from having to switch in and out of 4WD constantly. The manual seems to suggest that you only lock the center diff in really severe conditions, and that it is normally left unlocked, even off-road.

Thanks for any clarification here!