1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

87 supra TT engine build…inputs and advice please!!

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by k5yota11, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    k5yota11

k5yota11 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    Black Thunder edition - 17 of 25, crome roll bar, crome push bar, front and rear bumper also crome, crome step bars, torsion bars turned all the way up in the front (w/ alignment), 2" blocks in rear, 33" BFG all terrains, renamed Black Beauty 1 by my pops about 17 years ago

Yeah I know that.. Not expecting it to be up and running next week by far... I want to know the ins and outs of this motor. It may take a long time.. Yes. But I am just looking for advice from experienced people so I know about what I am walking into and so I can plan out this adventure. I appreciate your words of wisdom in any case though. Any other ideas on how to properly do this build I am all ears.

2K is expected.. I am wanting ALL new parts. For the truck I am putting it in will be completely restored by the time this engine finds its home on it.

2. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.

well my man..im your guy..haha

i rebuild one of these. Built it for 500hp with a 67mm turbo.

Id highly recomend going to supraforums.com and supramania.com

however, word of warning. Do NOT go to supraforums and start posting random shit or threads. They will tear you apart. Very unfriendly forum sadly..but tons of great info so id just read a lot there.

supramania is much more chill but the mods there are very strict. so can't be doing anything out of line but they are much more helpful over there.

plus both forums have classifieds and you'll be able to pick up lots of parts there you'll need. Like the Intake manifold, exhaust manifold ect. Unless your gonna buy new ones of those too..in which case you're gonna need a DEEP wallet.

even just going through the build threads there you will learn a lot.

driftmotion.com is a great parts place for supra stuff. Aaron is a great guy and runs a great company.

But i'd be happy to help ya myself with anything i know.

NRP makes pistons you can get. They are cast so only good for up to 400hp MAYBE. if you know you are gonna go over 400hp. get forged pistons. Probe makes nice ones that are affordable. might want to consider boreing the block .02 over just to get a fresh bore. Stock rods will be fine with ACL bearings and get some new ARP main bolts. Get the crank cleaned up too of course.

Get the head decked and the block decked. Make sure the machine shop KNOWS how much they take off in total. As you'll need to get the right thickness of headgasket to make up the difference so your not changing the motor compression too much.

get a new water pump and oil pump for sure.

A stock fuel rail with RC 550 or bigger injectors will be fine. Depending on how much power you want. 660cc will be enough for 400hp. You'll want a walbro 255lph pump in the tank and a Aftermarket Fuel Preassure Regulator. Then something to tune the motor with. MAFTpro or Apexi Neo..something. Depends on how much money you wanna spend.

Stock is 440cc injectors.

Turbo wise...well..how much money you want to spend? :p haha you can stick with the CT26 it comes with and get it upgraded with a 57mm wheel which is a very popular upgrade and very streetable turbo. But you won't get over 400hp with it. you could also upgrade exhaust manifolds to a T4/T3 setup and run whatever the hell you want. a 60-1 would be fine probably with a .68 A/R on the exhaust housing to keep it street able and fun.

intercooler and piping is gonna be a big project you'll have to tackle with the truck really. be totally custom.

idk..haha chew on that for awhile :p haha

3. May 11, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    cmdrdata

cmdrdata New Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    TRD option
    I agree with Fahrenheit. 7MGTE is a good engine but suffered from a thin wall between the last two cylinders, and this will result in blown head gasket even if you use metal head gasket and a set of ARP bolts. Now, I if you can get use 2JZGTE engine from MKIV (I owned a 94 Supra), that will give you 320 HP stock with twin turbo.

Products Discussed in

To Top