Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

New Truck, now what do i need???

Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
UNCC49er is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
UNCC49er's Tacoma Gallery
New Truck, now what do i need???

Whats up guys? I am another newbie to the tacomaworld forum so hopefully I am posting in the right area. I recently bought a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab SR5 and I am looking to make a few modifications. I have spent hours reading other threads about all the different options for wheels, tires, lift kits, etc. and it can be a bit overwhelming. I am hoping to get some opinions on what you guys are running and what kind of products or companies I should gravitate towards or stay away from.

90% of my driving is on the highway with the only off roading occurring during hunting season and the occasional trips to WV to see the in-laws. I think the first step will be having the truck lifted and getting some more aggressive wheels and tires put on. From reading some other threads it looks like 3 inches seems to be the popular choice. Any opinions on this as well as what price I could expect to see. A local 4x4 shop quoted me $1200 for a pro comp leveling kit with install. I personally thought that was high compared to some pricing I have seen on other forums for install work.

Also have you guys done any headlight modifications? Thanks in advance for the input and I look forward to chatting with you guys for years to come.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Jhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Jhodgman's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome, leave you money at the door.

Most people will recomend either 5100 bilstien shocks to get about 1.75-2.5 of lift or OME(Old Man Emu) full suspension lift. either one should be fine for you but since your not offroad much I recoment the bilstiens (a bit cheaper and preform better on the road.) the ride is a bit stiffer but I prefer it that way on the street.

as far as the head lights if you search BHLM(Black Head light Mod) you should find what your looking for and how to do it.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
UNCC49er is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
UNCC49er's Tacoma Gallery
Just from doing some quick research, it looks like going with the bilstein 5100 series has adjustable fronts but not in the rear. So to level out the height would I need to buy a leaf spring to raise the back up a little? Would this be the same case going with the OME full suspension lift? I also see that some people mix the two and go with the 5100 shocks and OME coils. Have you got any experience with this?

Also have you got an idea as to what price I would be looking at by going with either one of these options?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
You can get the 5100s for 200 shipped from down south motor sports which is a vendor on this forum and you can just use your stock coils if you wanted to save some cash if not you can upgrade to the OME or ebaich springs but since those springs are longer than stock you can't use the highest setting on the adjustable 5100s. The rear will just need an AAL add a leaf to level out the truck. Both installs are very simple and straight forward as long as you have the proper tools or have a buddy that does it takes about an hour to get it all done. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Jhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Jhodgman's Tacoma Gallery
If you add the spring its make the ride smoother then with your stock coils, and when you set the shocks up higher it will preload the coil which alot of people say is bad, so you can avoid that with the OME coil 885. Price is a matter of where you can find them and what you can do on your own.

I paid i bit over 800 for all 4 shocks and a progressive leaf pack installed (cause im lazy). i didnt get the new coils and I love how it rides.