1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

F150 Ecoboost or Tacoma??

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by dhamm0163, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Apr 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    dhamm0163

dhamm0163 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 F-150 EB
    I’ve got a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost which I bought new. It’s the Lariat 4x4 version which gives melots of chrome, double cabin, back-up camera, back-up sensors, folding mirrors,heated and cooled seats, power rear window and all the other goodies.

Pros – awesome engine. I never could have believed a 3.5L V6 could be so powerful. I installed an after-market cold air intakeby ASE for $360 which kicks HP up to 395 and torque up to 470. Absolutely nuts and it doesn’t void the warranty. In Colorado where I live, I go into themountains a lot and the turbos make mountain highway driving insanelyeasy. It kills every other full-sizetruck going uphill. Towing – over 11,000lbs. Acceleration – low 6 sec to60. Comfortable, good looking, lots ofvisibility and an average of 18.8 mpg combined.

Cons – too big! With thebackup camera parking is a breeze but the truck just feels massive. Braking – feel is a bit weak and I’ve had itin the shop last year to fix a vacuum boost sensor. Price - $47k in 2011...close to $50k today. Resale – KBB lists it around $34k...13K difference. Turbo lag…there is no such thing as a smoothpush on the accelerator. It’s eitherfull on which snaps your head back, or just waiting to kick in.

Ultimately, I love the F150, but I bit off much more than Ireally needed in a truck. I like the Tacomabut it seems a bit dated and lacking in some of the goodies…but then it costs$16k less today. What I’m mostly concernedwith is the difference in power. Goingfrom 395 to 240 is a huge drop but I’d like to hear from Tacoma owners theiropinion. Do you frequently wish for morejuice? Does it have the get-up-and-gothat puts a grin on your face? What’sthe average RPM at 60 MPH with the 6 speed automatic? What’s the cost of the TRD supercharger andis the price worth the extra power? What about mountain driving? Any changes in engines in the very near future? Thanks and I appreciate the feedback!

2. Apr 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    I had 3 tacomas, and test drove the f150 with ecoboost. for everything the ford comes with is what I will be going with. tacomas more of a high rpm motor, where the ecoboost just pull right at low rpm. the 2014 I test drove was smooth and took little effort to get going.

3. Apr 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    Rezo Rock

Rezo Rock Active Member

Member:
    Anaheim, California
    Vehicle:
    07 PRE RUNNER
    afe cold air intake magnaflow exhaust procomp lift icon coilovers
    I have Had a Rental Eco boost F 150 4x4 double cab for over a week.. and really.. It makes me appreciate just how much i love my tacoma.. sure the eco gets up and going,.. but as far as parking, styling , inside/out, and driving it everyday??? cant wait to bring my taco home.. tacoma makes u turns where ever i please! and I dont believe im getting the mileage its telling me ..tacoma with 35s and i fill up alot less than the "eco"

4. Apr 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Just traded my tacoma in on an f150 (5.0). Wish I had a backup camera, but I wished I had it in the tacoma. Plain and simple I like everything about this Ford more than my tacoma. Even gets the same gas mileage in a V8 as my 4 cylinder did, with an extra 200hp!

5. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I made a similar trade, I went from a 2007 Tacoma double cab short bed 4wd to a 2013 Ford super crew short bed 4wd with the 5.0L V8. If you like all the bells and whistles of the Ford, you will be disappointed in the Tacoma in that regard. The new ones have more dress packages than my 2007 did but they're still lacking in those little gadgety things (take that as a pro or a con, depends on what type of person you are and how important stuff like that is to you). Next is the room. There is absolutely no comparison between the Tacoma double cab and the Ford crew cab. The Ford has massively more room in the cab so again, if you're currently using all the space in your Ford, you will be cramped in the Tacoma. Lastly, power! I only went with the 5.0L and don't live in a hilly area and I definitely noticed the power increase. I didn't think the Tacoma was a dog by any means, it had plenty of pick up but the Ford just makes it effortless. As mentioned above, the Tacoma is a higher revving engine where as the Ford makes power lower in the RPM range.

I'm not bashing my Tacoma at all, I liked the truck and it did what I needed it to do for a long time. I needed something a little bigger and that was the reason for my making the switch. It all comes to personal preference and what's important to you when it comes to vehicles. That said, I'm happy with the switch so far.

6. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    yaapp

yaapp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    URD CAI front: Fox 2.5 w/ reservoir 700lbs coil Camburg UniBall Rear: 2.5 w/ reservoir
    When I was shopping for a new truck. I was looking at the F150 v6 before I got my Tacoma.

The one thing that bugged me was the amount of plastic there was in the Ford. I just thought for the amount of money I was going to pay, I wanted some quality inside.

Even though I went with the Tacoma at the end, there are some times I wish I got the F150 for the size

7. Apr 18, 2014 at 3:56 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Mark my words. I have had 5 ford trucks and 2 tacos. I could have bought a 3rd tacoma with the ridiculous repairs with fords. One day not far away you will question your decision to go ford. I know they ride better, more room, haul more, but I got 10 yrs on taco with not 1 repair that wasn't maintenence. Just my opinion!! Also, watch the resale value drop on fords

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    sgav8r likes this.
  8. Apr 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    Tacomamba

Tacomamba Well-Known Member

Member:
    albq
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Edition Black
    Supercharger Roof rack Tube step Entune Tailgate mod ATC Camper OE Skid Plate K/N filter don't need anything else
  9. Apr 18, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I hope Toyota is paying you to be a fanboy :rolleyes:

10. Apr 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Keep your truck. It's nuts to trade in a three year old 2011 to buy a new truck of any kind.

11. Apr 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Does that bother you or something? Plus I see you got a lot to say with 26,000 post more or less. :rant: What are you a paid ford spokesman?, or just someone with little man syndrome?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. Apr 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Neither..Pugga is just someone who likes to help people on here and talks about more than just Toyota trucks, that's all.

13. Apr 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Personally I'd keep the ford.

14. Apr 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    rademan11

rademan11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    4X4 trd off road
    Ranch Topper, Bull Bar.....Yes, I know everyone thinks they are crap, I like the look
    F150 and Tacoma are two different worlds.
    Full size pick ups and Tacoma are two different worlds.
    Don't really see a comparison.

15. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree. Like comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  16. Apr 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Apples and oranges yes but not in as many ways as many think. Similar price (price paid as opposed to sticker price, as the ford always has promotions running which is nice), similar fuel economy. It comes down to size and need. If the f150 truly is too big, as for some it is, choose the tacoma. If you need to haul more the F150 will haul and tow more, just by design. Just comes down to what someone needs. Truthfully my Tacoma was rather reliable but my friends F150 was equally reliable. I'll find out with my F150 but a trucks a truck, brand quality seems to now be more of a perception than a reality unfortunately.

17. Apr 20, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    I see the comparison being more and more like Apples to Apples.

Sure full size trucks can be a burden to park and handle in a big city, but in a rural town or smaller city they aren't to bad.

I have my 2011 Tacoma and a 2004 2500 Dodge. The Dodge is a pain in mall's and such, but around town I don't mind it at all. That is in my smaller town, but if I go into Vancouver, the Dodge is huge! streets are smaller, parking is tighter and you really notice the extra size. I would only buy a midsize truck if I lived in a big city.

That being said, out of the city center where I live the fullsize's are more common and easy to drive. I was shocked lately as I have been looking to purchase a full size and the pricing isn't far off.

A loaded Tacoma Limited is $39,000 ($1000 in rebates in my area currently)
    A TRD + leather is $38,000 ($1000 in rebates in my area)

A XTR F150 Ecoboost is $42,000 ($12,000 in rebates currently).

A Laramie Hemi Ram 1500 is $42,500 ($11,000 in rebates currently).

The horrible outdated Tundra Limited is $43,300 ($4,000 in rebates currently)

If I am only keeping a vehicle for 5 years (like a lot of people do no adays), it makes it a tough choice.

Tacoma only has its size + resale going for it.

The Ecoboost/Hemi vehicles have all the gadgets (heated/cooled seats, heated wheel, upscale interior, projector headlights, more power) plus a long list of other stuff that can be added like a sunroof, keyless ignition, automatic wipers ect ect.

People are seeing the same 17mpg-18mpg we get in the Tacoma in the Ecoboost and in the new Hemi with 8 speed tranny and MDS.

I am eagerly awaiting the 2016 Tacoma because the current model (that i own) is so far out of date it is pathetic.

If Chevy can keep the Colorado sticker lower than the Tacoma it will do well, as I am sure it will have many more options and get 25mpg. Then take their 2.8L diesel with 200hp/350trq at 30mpg and you have a very competative midsize segment again.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  18. Apr 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    SDSam

SDSam from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma prerunner
    Icon Shocks, BTF front, Deaver f67, 33's on stocks, Fiberwerxs 1pc, TDR S/C, Bed & Eng Caged
    In the long run age and miles a non turbo vehicle will out live a boosted motor thats turbos and motor life, (except cummins) then add the quality toyota has been known for which i have seen in vehicles as old as 70's this includes interior paneling, carpeting, seat upholstery and padding ergonomics I always favor sports car feel even in the trucks.
    When it comes to choosing a car you are comfortable keeping beyond its warranty period the choice becomes obvious or more so if you are buying used.

19. Apr 20, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Big cushy trucks are nice, but I still have that old school truck mentality. My trucks are for work and play, and I don't need gadgets and gizmos for that. My city/DD has those (which happens to be a '14 Explorer with I4 Ecoboost and I love it).

I want my trucks relatively simple, capable, and durable. Tacoma is strong in those categories. My main desire for Tacoma going forward is much better mpg and a little more competitive pricing.

Still, it's all personal preference anyway. If you want something more 4x4/expeditionary, reliable reputation, or just want something smaller, then Tacoma. If you need more hauling or need more room, F150. The reality is though, you are getting more truck for the dollar with the newer full size domestics than the Tacoma.

20. Apr 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    It isn't about buying used.

If I was buying a car out of warranty, no question it would be a Toyota, but Ford/Toyota are selling new cars, they really don't care what happened after the warranty period is out.

For the $32,000 price i paid for my "used" Tacoma back in 2013 I could have bought a 2012 high end Lariat F150/ Laramie RAM with little to no mileage. The resale is so high on Tacoma's that full sizer's depreciate themselves right into the Tacoma price range.

Products Discussed in

To Top