Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Loss of power, bad gas mileage and misfiring

Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
BullTaco10 is on a distinguished road
BullTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Loss of power, bad gas mileage and misfiring

I have a question about my 2001 4 cylinder 2.7L Toyota Tacoma. It was misfiring badly a few months back so I changed out all the plugs, after that it ran great, then suddenly a couple weeks ago the misfires started again. The engine light blinks randomly at times as well. I am wondering where I should start. I am going to check the plugs again and make sure they aren't loose. All the coil packs look good cosmetically, maybe they are still bad though? I'm not sure. Is it possible that it is the wires or the fuel injectors? I don't really want to replace any coils or injectors unless I really need too (I'm low on cash right now). Another concern I have is my cat. The misfires started in the middle of nowhere in the Wyoming desert and I had to drive a couple hours with the misfires, is it possible that I melted the cat or clogged it up by driving so far with the misfires? If so how can I check the cat? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a lot of things but can't speculate until you get some engine codes
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
In a darkened garage, with engine running, mist water over the wires and coils. Look for arcs. No arcs, wires and coils aren't leaking.
Unplugging fuel injectors, one at a time, will locate a faulty injector.
Don't drive it around, until you repair the misfire. It can cause engine damage.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
BullTaco10 is on a distinguished road
BullTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Engine codes are P0300 random multiple misfires detected and P0302 cylinder 2 misfire.