Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

**** SPIED: 2016 TOYOTA HILUX PROTOTYPES ****

Old 04-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
CMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CMI's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation **** SPIED: 2016 TOYOTA HILUX PROTOTYPES ****

I've had interest in the next generation set for about 5 years now and live here in San Antonio (where my '14 was built and purchased last November). I've not heard too much around here yet, but 2015 has been pointed to as a launch date. It is related to the J180 Land Cruiser Prado/4Runner platforms due in 2016 (300-Series Land Cruiser due in 2016 as well). The J150 platform will likely not be used.

What I did find, was these new spy photos of what looks to be the next generation Hilux truck. Also, bear in mind these are PROTOTYPES, NOT test mules. Mules do not wear the production-body of a future model.

Next-Generation Toyota Hilux Spied Testing in Australia.

http://youtu.be/i937Gk0_3U8

Quote:
The eighth-generation of Toyota’s top-selling Hilux has been spotted undergoing evaluation in Victoria, with two lightly-disguised mules giving us our first taste of how the new model will look.

Not expected on sale until 2016, eagle-eyed Carsguide reader Colin Ozzie Wiese snapped the two prototypes parked in Ballarat, and appear to represent entry grade 2WD and high-riding 4WD dual-cab models.
The lower 2WD model is wearing ‘Caution Left Hand Drive’ signage on the rear, suggesting that the mules’ presence is part of the new Hilux’s global evaluation.

The Hilux prototypes appear to be wearing production head and taillights, with the 4WD mule wearing what looks to be a Toyota Genuine Accessories bullbar with added driving lights.
The frontal styling of the new model looks to follow the muscular detailing of the new Kluger SUV, while also referencing the full-size Tundra truck sold in the US.

A deeper rear window can be seen, and the new model looks to continue with the current model’s slanted tailgate design, with the upright taillights featuring similar blocky detailing to the current Prado SUV.
The taillights also appear to wrap around to the bodyside more than previous models, following a similar but inverted approach to the current Mazda BT-50.

The two mules are pictured alongside a current-model SR5 4WD dual cab and Ford Ranger XTR dual cab, with the two production models likely being used by engineers as a benchmark for the new model.
The current seventh-generation model wasthe third best-selling car on the Australian market in 2013, despite being on sale locally since early 2005, and continues to outsell the Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi Triton and Nissan Navara at the top end of the light commercial ute segment in 2014.

-------------------
CURRENT MODEL DEVELOPMENT BY COMPARISON:
The current (2005) Tacoma was unveiled on February 2, 2004 at the Chicago Auto Show and went into production in September 2004 and sold from late October 2004 as a 2005 model. The 2005 Hilux was presented over a year after the Tacoma on March 2, 2005 and later launched in April 2005.

Prior to that, the first Tacoma mule was spied testing in February 2003 in this photo, which was months after the final design was frozen for production in 2002:

And many months later, a pre-production Double Cab in these photos:

Considering how the Hilux was launched 6 months after the Tacoma, this may be confirmation of the next generation Tacoma arriving next year in 2015. I suspect Tacoma prototypes must be somewhere, undetected or deep in secret testing in Japan/Michigan.

The 1st gen Tacoma being originally due in late 1994 for MY1995, was launched in February 1995 as a 1995.5 model.

This is what it looked like in 1991 (Kevin Hunter):

Then the final product reached in late 1992 (Kevin Hunter):

All this came after the last U.S. Pickup generation launched in late 1988. So pretty much 5 years of development during 1989-1994.

As we all know:
1994 PP, January 1995 SOP

A facelift arrived in October 1996 for '97 4X2s.

Facelift in July of 1997 for '98 4X4s and std. passenger airbag.

A substantial facelift unveiled at CAS(Chicago) on February 10, 2000 and launched in October 2000 for 2001 model year, added the Double Cab and S-Runner.

In late 2002, 2003 models received some changes.
End of production in August 2004.

The current generation Tacoma went into development in 1999, nearly midway through development of the 4th gen. 4Runner and 120-Series Prado (launched in 2002). The first evidence of the 2G Tacoma (as posted above) was in early 2003.

Noticeable changes we've had so far are:
(September 2004 SOP)

A minor update in fall 2006 for MY'07 regarding interior changes.
Refresh in fall 2008 for MY2009.

Grille update in August 2010 for MY11.

Internal Toyota Motor Corporation Photo of 2012 Tacoma prototype dated September 2010:

Major facelift in October 2011 for MY2012.
Limited added in late 2012.
Minor updates in late 2013 for MY2014.
TRD Pro for MY2015.

I can see that a similar pattern happens here with the current model. The last major update to Gen 1, lasted from October 2000 through early October 2004. Midway through that Toyota finalized design work in 2002, with mostly 2003-04 spent on final development. The present Tacoma run will last from (October 2004-)October 2011 through around October 2015. Midway through that, design work should've been finished recently. I expect that a 2015 reveal may occur for a 2016 Tacoma.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
fourpointTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
fourpointTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting read!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMI View Post
I hope Toyota doesn't follow the same design direction with the next-gen Taco. Higher beltline and smaller windows hinder visibility.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL says 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with 4Runner badge

And what's MY? FY = Fiscal year; MY = Mayan year?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post

Model year
Old 04-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
CMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCMI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CMI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I use MY as an abbreviation of model year, as to not confuse production/launch year with a model year such as "In 2004 for MY2005..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpointTRD View Post
Interesting read!
Thanks. Trying to connect all the dots over the past 25+ years, to understand where development lies at the moment. Development seems to always start right between a refresh (1997, 2008) and a major facelift(2000, 2011).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
That's not it, but the Chinese Foton Tunland pickup. They plagiarize Toyota designs, BIG time.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Probably preRunner.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Probably the most detailed breakdown and most information regarding design and generation changes of the Tacoma I've seen. Nice job
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota must be testing the third gen Tacoma somewhere I mean the second gen is reaching the end of its life and it needs a refresh on the interior and power train badly. It really needs new rims for the trd packages.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
RIKDRT1 will become famous soon enough
RIKDRT1's Tacoma Gallery
great job putting the summary together for everyone. a lot of work, but I love it.
NOW, I hope Toyota gets us an official memo about what to expect.

when the mules are running around, does that normally mean that the full production models are already finalized ? I hope so. I cant wait !!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #13

CMI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKDRT1 View Post
great job putting the summary together for everyone. a lot of work, but I love it.
NOW, I hope Toyota gets us an official memo about what to expect.

when the mules are running around, does that normally mean that the full production models are already finalized ? I hope so. I cant wait !!
Yes and no, but in Toyota's case, very much so. Usually test mules, like in the 2003 photo, are built as soon as a final body design is frozen with no further changes. Prototypes on the other hand, take months to be handbuilt and then test from there.

For a major redesign, that can take 6-18 months from a final design freeze, which for such a large vehicle, will be about 20/24/30 months before production begins. The current model (out in late 2004) reached design finalization in 2002 and was on legal file by December 2002.

We saw mules by February of '03, while Hino in Japan tested it in secret during 2003 until early 2004 when pre-production builds went stateside.

Most of these design selections and final approvals are timed when a current generation facelift is introduced, in the form of placeholder.

The vehicles above are full-fledged, early prototypes and not a mule combination of old+new. They are the real 2016 Hilux and will definitely be out next year (Toyota will never spend more than 18 months on such public testing).
Old 04-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #14

CMI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Toyota must be testing the third gen Tacoma somewhere I mean the second gen is reaching the end of its life and it needs a refresh on the interior and power train badly. It really needs new rims for the trd packages.
Yep, they are extremely secretive. Knowing Toyota, they always depend on their secret test tracks in Hokkaido and Aichi, Japan. The current gen was tested there during 2002-2003, while only chopped 4Runner mules were spotted stateside in '03.

At times they will only provide 1 single prototype to US/Canada for mid-stage testing, with only evaluation and pilot production builds going out during the 9-12 month period before sales launch.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #15
RIKDRT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes and no, but in Toyota's case, very much so. Usually test mules, like in the 2003 photo, are built as soon as a final body design is frozen with no further changes. Prototypes on the other hand, take months to be handbuilt and then test from there.

For a major redesign, that can take 6-18 months from a final design freeze, which for such a large vehicle, will be about 20/24/30 months before production begins. The current model (out in late 2004) reached design finalization in 2002 and was on legal file by December 2002.

We saw mules by February of '03, while Hino in Japan tested it in secret during 2003 until early 2004 when pre-production builds went stateside.

Most of these design selections and final approvals are timed when a current generation facelift is introduced, in the form of placeholder.

The vehicles above are full-fledged, early prototypes and not a mule combination of old+new. They are the real 2016 Hilux and will definitely be out next year (Toyota will never spend more than 18 months on such public testing).
thanks OP.
yea, I hope two things. that this first spy shot is really just US being late and maybe its been running around for 6months or longer and we didn't know -- and also hope they hurry it up in preparation for what Nissan or GM has already announced. encouraging to say the least. I wish Honda had theirs coming out soon just to see how they will respond to all these great choices coming up. exciting times .
Old 04-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #16
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! I hope the overall size of the Tacoma does not get larger....but if history proves anything with most automotive manufacturers... It will grow....
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #17
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for Australia. Running their prototypes already equiped with plate bumpers.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
There are 2 big ranches in Texas where Toyota tests the trucks too. I have a brother-in-law in Midland, TX and he knows of one place where the trucks are tested long before we see them.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
TacoJonn is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
TacoJonn's Tacoma Gallery
I hope there is news soon. Holding onto my 2002 until I see what the next-gen Taco will be like. I imagine many others are holding out for a redesign too.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #20
RIKDRT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoJonn View Post
I hope there is news soon. Holding onto my 2002 until I see what the next-gen Taco will be like. I imagine many others are holding out for a redesign too.

same here. I need a truck real soon and would buy this tomorrow if it was here but I cant wait forever. were all waiting on some news already from management.