Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Tacoma bed sleeper builds?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
treadstone is on a distinguished road

treadstone's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma bed sleeper builds?

I've been trying to find some good inspiration for my bed sleeper kit. There seem to be a lot of build threads, but it has been hit or miss going through them to look for the bed kit builds. Is there a particular place I should be looking for this info? I'm building for a 2000 Tacoma extra cab 4X4.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Look in the overland build thread.

Edit: Here is one

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...hread-168.html

This is what I was planning to do something similar.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #3

Well I'm 80% through the 180 pages of that thread, and there are some sweet build ideas for expo rigs, but not very many for bed sleeper kits themselves. Any other ideas?
Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Mudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lefty
Mudfinger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadstone View Post
Well I'm 80% through the 180 pages of that thread, and there are some sweet build ideas for expo rigs, but not very many for bed sleeper kits themselves. Any other ideas?
What are you looking for? Just a good bed setup for camping?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

Yes. I have my own ideas, but would like to see what others have done, so I might refine my build.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Reh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Reh5108's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I did. I can get more pictures if you would like. It works pretty well. I wanted to be able to remove it fairly easily so all I have to do is remove 4 bolts and out she comes. The only negative to it is when wheeling the "deck" boards don't stay in place. Daily driving they are fine.

I can get better pics if you want.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Mudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
berk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
berk's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6'5" so my bed sleeper is going to have a bit of a bump out. I'm designing it in my head now, but I'm pretty excited. It's going to be an aluminum camper shell with a convertible aspect.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #9

Reh5108, Yeah thanks. I would love more pictures. I am just putting together a bunch of ideas right now. Everyone has a different take on a good system, so I would just like to take all the ideas and put them together into a package that works for me. Even some of the simplest arrangements have good ideas! I am a carpenter, so I will enjoy refining all of these different ideas into one! Hell my last Overland vehicle was a Jeep LJ. I made a kit for that that allowed my wife, myself, and three dachshunds to sleep fully extended inside the hard top!
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0293.jpg   Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0310.jpg   Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0300.jpg   Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0275.jpg   Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0286.jpg  

Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0359.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfinger View Post
The "bachelor route". Love it….but the wife wouldn't go for that.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

keep clicking "next page" at bottom
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #12

Yeah. Baja Taco's build is very prevalent on the net. He did a nice job. I wish my Snugtop had those lift up side windows!

Any more builds let me see them.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadstone View Post
The "bachelor route". Love it….but the wife wouldn't go for that.
It's because I didn't stain the shelves, isn't it?

Nice setup on the Jeep.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #14

LOL na, simple works, all the rest is just polish.

Thanks on the Jeep compliment.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Reh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReh5108 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Reh5108's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I had some decent carpentry skills Curious to see what you come up with, that jeep looked great!

I didn't have a table saw to use and thought I could use a circular saw without a guide... I was wrong lol. Also I should have bought a better grade ply wood. Any way here are some more pictures.

I'm about 175lbs and the 3/4 ply wood holds my weight just fine without a support down the middle. I've though about making the bottom area a giant drawer that would double as a table when it's pulled out, but haven't put much thought into it yet and I'm going to need some heavier leaf springs. I already have a good inch or 2 of bro lean.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #16

Reh5108, The weight is a big concern. I will be using 3/4" plywood as well. I think the key is to "truss" cut the plywood wherever possible to save weight. Much like "WashnigtonTaco" from Expedition portal did on the sides of his drawers in the picture I attached. As for the better carpentry skills, I'm with you. I do it for a living, and I always need to learn more!
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-photo-4-4-.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Are you planning on building something similar to a Truck Vault for your sleeping platform OP ?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #18

I just googled one for my truck. I would say no to the drawers. It worked good on my Jeep, but the depth of the truck bed would waste space behind the drawers. I think I may go with one full length cubby for storage containers, and one with a removable slide out kitchen/stove table set up as in the attached picture (more refined of course). The sleep platform will be just above wheel well height, and have a couple of cubby lids toward the cab for access, and a cut out big enough for a scepter water jug set up with a Living Overland faucet system. That jug would be the only thing that will stick up higher than the sleep platform. The whole platform will be nicely carpeted in grey indoor outdoor carpet, and have Mac's tie down rails around the edges (similar to my Jeep LJ kit). Just my preliminary ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-tacomaplatform-16.jpg   Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0303.jpg   Tacoma bed sleeper builds?-img_0310.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting

I'm planning on building a version similar to the truck vault set up that doubles as a bed platform
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #20

Keep me updated OZ-T. I'd love to see how it takes shape! maybe we can learn a thing or two from each other's build?