Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

wont go in gear

Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
darrinhutch is on a distinguished road
Name: darrin
darrinhutch's Tacoma Gallery
wont go in gear

sometimes my truck wont go in gear. its a 5 speed and the clutch seems to be fine. the truck goes in gear fine when the truck is off. i think it might be a clutch slave cylinder. could that be the problem or is it something else.
help please
Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
bump
Old 05-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
how do you check hydraulic oil leaks at the clutch slave cylinder ?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
i check my fluids in the master cylinder and its looks like the color of oil but it not as think and it doesnt smell like oil. and other suggestions?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: Canadain bumber technician
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
No suggestions , but a few questions
Have you checked for leaks under the dash where the clutch pushrod goes through the firewall ?
Have you followed the hydraulic line from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder looking for leaks ?
Are there any floor mats preventing the clutch pedal from going all the way down to the floor ?
Whats happens when you are at a complete stop and try to get reverse ?
What happens when you are at a complete stop and try to get first or second gear ?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
i havent checked under the dash. my truck does leak put i anit sure where from. i would think if it leaks from the slave cylinder then the master cylinder would be empty. and sometimes it grinds going in reverse and some time it doesnt. and sometime it goes it second better then first. the other day i couldnt get it go in to 1st so every time i took off i would take off in 2nd
Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK , so you know there is a possibility that you have leaks .
If you plan to keep the truck , you need to find out where or if there are leaks with the hydraulic clutch components . This would be the place to start . The hydraulic clutch uses brake fluid . Brake fluid is clear and yours is the color of engine oil . This means that over time , the seals used in the master cylinder and slave cylinder are starting to wear out . I beleive in 1983 , Toyota used DOT 3 brake fluid for the hydraulic clutch . Might be time to replace the fluid . Might want to try bleeding the clutch with some new fluid .
Has the clutch ever been replaced ?
Look under the dash , look at the line going from the master cylinder and down to the slave cylinder . If you see signs of leaking , you need to replace the items that leak .
What are your plans for the truck
Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
ill look tommorw for the leak under the dash. it has the oringal clutch and i plan on keeping the truck for another 3 or 4 years
Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

WOW , original clutch on the 83 . Thats incredible . I looked through some of your posts and found the mileage you posted .
If you are at a parts store , get a price on a new clutch kit . The kit should include a clutch disc , pressure plate and relase bearing ( aka throw out bearing )
Keep in mind that the original flywheel needs to be turned down and you will also need a pilot bearing . If your plans are to keep the truck for another 3 to 4 years , a new clutch is most likely going to be one of your next purchases .
If you dont have any leaks in the hydraulic master cylinder and the slave cylinder , a clutch is really the only thing that remains in your diagnosis .
Old 05-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
i do believe my clutch is shot. when i start it it roles in 1st gear and now it wont go in gear no matter what i do. should i get a clutch or just a clutch kit?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
i talked to my cousin who had the truck before me and he said he thinks its just the slave cylinder. he said if a bleed it that it should work. you think that would help?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #14

If you are Not losing any hydraulic fluid from the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder , chances are you are going to need a clutch kit .
Some people say buy a new clutch and others say buy a clutch kit .
This means the same thing .
A new clutch consists of
1 new friction clutch disc
1 new clutch pressure plate
1 new release bearing AKA throw out bearing
1 clutch alignment tool usually made of plastic .
These four parts come in a box as a kit .

When you purchase the clutch kit you usually void the warranty unless the pilot bearing is replaced and the flywheel gets resurfaced . The resurfacing of the flywheel is an additional cost and same for the pilot bearing plus whatever fluids you need .
Here is an example of what you are looking for . Dont have to buy this one , but its what you will need http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/r...art=Clutch+Kit
Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
well it used to leak from the slave cylinder but shouldn't the master cylinder be empty? what would u reccomed clutch or clutch kit
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know about replacing the bushing at the bottom of the shifter to fix engagement problems?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
taco09- i dont know to be honest
Old 05-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #18
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
darrinhutch, this Instructable appeared with with the title of fixing the transmission from jumping out of gear. However, it appears to actually have been adopted from others who were using the procedure to improve shifting. In any event it is cheap and what have you got to lose? BTW, one of the off road vendors sells both the bushings (Marlin Crawler or Wheelers).
http://www.instructables.com/id/Toyo...gear/?ALLSTEPS
Old 05-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
alright. ill look into it more. thanks guys!