LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Tacoma and Labradors

Old 04-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
MCR is on a distinguished road
MCR's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma and Labradors

I have three Labradors and we're moving from NY to Arizona. It looks like a Tacoma with a cap, would be the perfect truck for us. My concern is will the dogs be able to get enough cool air with just the sliding window between the car and the bed area, especially during the extremely hot summer months in Arizona?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MCR
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
crash is on a distinguished road

crash's Tacoma Gallery
If you're talking about while driving, I would open the other windows in the cap as well (most caps I've seen have multiple opening/sliding windows). Or if you have the xtra or double cab, keep them up front with you for the a/c.

Don't leave dogs in a car in the heat, especially if you are moving to the Valley. Don't take chances with your dogs - a cop killed a drug dog in the phx area a few summers ago and I don't think any of us wants to even imagine what it feels like to accidentally kill a pet like that. Even with windows open, closed spaces with windows heat up pretty bad pretty fast.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I would think some sort of extended walls around the bed would be best and a not black bed mat or a sheet if you have to leave them there for a short time. This is the closest picture I could find to convey my idea, but you get the idea i hope
Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
I got a tall cap with sliding windows for my 70 lb doberman. He's fine with all 3 windows open (front and 2 sides) on most warm days when the truck is not moving. Regardless of how many windows I open, I would not leave him in there on a really hot day but I feel like you already know this. When we're moving, I will crack the sides and open the small front window and he is fine. When you're shopping for a cap, I would definitely get sliding windows over venting windows so a breeze can flow better when the truck is stationary. I also sprang for the headliner in mine, my vet reccommended it, I didn't need anyone gettting cut on or licking the fibrglass.

So to answer you question, Yes I do think opening the little window will allow enough air as long as you are moving and it's not crazy hot, but definitely not when the truck is parked.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Your other option if you will be using this setup all the time is to buy a small RV style AC unit and to mount that on the shell. Then your dogs could have AC for whatever you need to do.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Got the yota feverrrr.
justalilcrazy625 is on a distinguished road

justalilcrazy625's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to justalilcrazy625 Send a message via Yahoo to justalilcrazy625
Awe. I love labradors. I had a black lab[his name was Midnight.] & he lived til a week before his 17th Birthday. Even after bein' hit by a car twice.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehab View Post
I got a tall cap with sliding windows for my 70 lb doberman. He's fine with all 3 windows open (front and 2 sides) on most warm days when the truck is not moving. Regardless of how many windows I open, I would not leave him in there on a really hot day but I feel like you already know this. When we're moving, I will crack the sides and open the small front window and he is fine. When you're shopping for a cap, I would definitely get sliding windows over venting windows so a breeze can flow better when the truck is stationary. I also sprang for the headliner in mine, my vet reccommended it, I didn't need anyone gettting cut on or licking the fibrglass.

So to answer you question, Yes I do think opening the little window will allow enough air as long as you are moving and it's not crazy hot, but definitely not when the truck is parked.
\

He's moving to Arizona, so that depends which part of the state he's moving to. If it's by flagstaff, then he could probably get by. But if he moves to southern AZ, where it does get "crazy hot", even just stopping at a traffic light with no air moving could definately hurt a dog. I like JJ Cusoms' idea... that way you'd never have to worry about your 4 legged babies.

I've lived in Phoenix and Yuma and there is no way I'd take them out without A/C.

Also depends on their ages and health as to how well they will be able to handle the heat.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
If you're talking about while driving, I would open the other windows in the cap as well (most caps I've seen have multiple opening/sliding windows). Or if you have the xtra or double cab, keep them up front with you for the a/c.

Don't leave dogs in a car in the heat, especially if you are moving to the Valley. Don't take chances with your dogs - a cop killed a drug dog in the phx area a few summers ago and I don't think any of us wants to even imagine what it feels like to accidentally kill a pet like that. Even with windows open, closed spaces with windows heat up pretty bad pretty fast.
Even here in SC it isn't safe to leave a dog in the car in the summer. Forget the dog, I wouldn't want to be left in a closed car...