Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Steering Linkage Issues

Old 04-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Steering Linkage Issues

I was told I couldn't get my 4Runner aligned because it needed a new Idler Arm and a new Pitman Arm. The shop quoted me something over $400 for the parts/labor, I said no-thanks. I picked up an Idler arm and swapped out the old one...piece of cake. The Pitman Arm had to be ordered and was expected next day. I picked it up along with a puller and got to work. Broke that puller and fuct that whole day(yesterday). Today, went back to the parts store, exchanged the pitman arm puller, went back home and got to work. Finally got the old pitman arm off, put the new one on and tightened every thing down and found a problem.

The castle nut threads too far up on the stud so that the cotter pin is useless. If I try and remove the part, I'll damage it and be stuck with the cost. Could I use a nut, torqued to spec, to push the castle nut out far enough that it engages with the cotter pin?

I've been trying to get this 4Runner roadworthy all week. I need it for a camping trip this weekend.

I'm broke and frustrated and don't know if I've fixed my vehicle or just made it worse.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
That's what Iwas thinking, don't shim it with washers, torque the spacer nut and then use the castle nut as a lock nut(locking it against replacement nut) and then use cotter pin. By the way, did they sell you the wrong part? Just thinking wht the difference in old and new threaded ends??
Old 04-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drill a hole in new part....probably a no no...just a thought
Old 04-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
That's what Iwas thinking
You have no idea how relieved I am that you even know what I'm talking about. The Pitman arm fits the shaft splines fine, just on the other end, the stud was longer than the old one and the castle nut was a different size. The threads were the same though. I dunno, I put both castle nuts on and was able to do what I 1st suggested.

I don't want to get laughed out of a garage when I try to get it alligned.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #5

Got an alignment today....no questions asked. I'm going camping and trout fishing. Have a good weekend everybody.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #6

Cool, that is not going anywhere. Good luck with the trout
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Good job!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
In case you never heard about it the 89 - 95 4 runners had a recall for the steering relay rod so you may want to check if yours ever had it done
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
In case you never heard about it the 89 - 95 4 runners had a recall for the steering relay rod so you may want to check if yours ever had it done
Mine was done a few weeks before I bought it. It still has the sticker on it from the local dealership.