1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Purchasing an '05 Tacoma with 276,000 km

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by ChantelleyLace, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Sep 19, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    ChantelleyLace

ChantelleyLace [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05' Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Crew Cab Short Box V6
    Hi, just wanting to gather some opinions on a purchase I am thinking about making. I'm looking at getting my 1st Tacoma this weekend. It's an 05 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Crew Cab Short Box V6 6 speed manual with high km, 276,000 to be exact. It seems a lot of people I've personally talked to think I've gone crazy for even thinking about this. But it's my dream truck, to say the least and I didn't think it would even be possible for me to obtain this for at least a few more years..so I thought who better to ask than the tried and true here at TW.
    Everything seems to be in Great condition (even had a friend who's an HD mechanic come with me to look it over and test drive with me and has given me his thumbs up) I am however a single mom, so the practical side is hesitant to jump on this purchase. The asking price is just under $10,000 CAD but with my 06 suzuki for a trade in of $6000, and talking him down almost a $1000, I'm looking at a difference of $3000.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? I know Toyota's are amazing seem to go forever.. But should I take the leap if faith and buy it considering the high km?

2. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
  3. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    TSJESME

TSJESME Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD SPORT A/C 4X4 M/T
    I believe the metric conversion comes out to roughly 125K miles.
    What I find odd about the deal is the 6K for the 8 y/o Suzuki.
    Don't know the model, or even if it is a 4 or 2 wheeled Suzuki.
    Something to think about.

4. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:59 PM
    Singlespeed

Singlespeed Member

Member:
    AUS MEL BKK SNG HKG
    Vehicle:
    2014 Hilux SR5 D4D
    A manual V6 will run 2x that distance if maintained properly. Service records will be very important. How many km's back was the clutch replaced? It would also be a more attractive purchase if it has nearly zero aftermarket parts on it. Again, if the seller doesn't have a complete service history, walk away from it.

5. Sep 20, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    ChantelleyLace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    There are zero aftermarket products on the truck, nor has it ever towed anything (has never had a hitch) has no lift on it either. I really don't think based on the appearance and skid plates that this truck has ever been truly used for any off roading 4x4. Some service records are available through the dealership, but I don't believe all are available. I'm going in again today to talk to them, and hopefully view the service records available. As far as my '06 suzuki goes, it's a grand vitara with 155,000 km 4wd it's been a good little SUV for me this far, but I've recently bought a camping trailer that my Suzy doesn't have the capacity to tow. Based on what is listed online for similar to my GV Suzy selling private i would be lucky to get $7000 (a few luxury 4x4 ones listed for between 7-8) plus my Suzy needs some cosmetic repairs (fog lights replaced etc)

6. Sep 20, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    ChantelleyLace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The conversion I did comes out to roughly 171,000 miles..

7. Sep 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    That's a little high but not badly out of range for a ten year old truck.

Main question is - how many miles do you accumulate yourself? If you're a high mile driver - you should start with a used truck with lower miles. If you don't drive that often - mostly short trips - starting with a truck that's got a few more turns on the odometer isn't a bad thing.

But in general - these trucks rust away before the engine wears out. So inspecting for frame/chassis rust would be the single biggest concern.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  8. Sep 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    ChantelleyLace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm a low mileage driver, I've never reached the "average" amount of km in a year on any of my previous vehicles, and that was pre child days when road trips for holidays were much more frequent and longer distances with my vehicles, vs. my ex's.

As far as rust goes, there is zero frame or chassis rust (which I've always heard the saying that the engine on Toyota's will hit the ground from the rusting out and still be running strong) that being said there is a small patch of rust (the only rust on the entire vehicle which we inspected thoroughly) on the inside corner of the drivers door. I planned on sanding that out ASAP and painting with a rust inhibitor immediately if I purchase.

9. Sep 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Sounds like a decent choice then if the price is good.

Pricing varies a lot by area, especially between the US and Canada, so I'm not prepared to tell you one way or the other if the price is any good or not.

10. Sep 22, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    ChantelleyLace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I felt the price was right, based on what I've been looking at and for the condition. I made the purchase over the weekend and couldn't be happier! Can't wait to do a few aftermarket customization to her and make it my own. Thank you for your help with the input, and advice!

11. Sep 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Congrats. Welcome to TW. post up a pic of the new truck when you get a chance.

Products Discussed in

To Top