Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Thinking about an older Yota Pickup

View Poll Results: Which?
Get the Toyota 23 79.31%
Keep the Ranger 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Riceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the rough
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about an older Yota Pickup

So I have been thinking about, and looking around at some older (pre-Tacoma) Toyota Pickups. I have only found a few I would consider. I just graduated high school, and will be making an 80 mile per day drive to college starting in August. Better gas mileage is a plus, and having some extra cash on hand (from selling the Ranger) would be more than welcome.

The plan would to be to fix it up and possibly daily drive it. I know the 22R is a damn good motor, but I would still be concerned about mechanical problems on any 20+year old motor.

Needs a little love, and a little more than I would want to pay. The paint is rough as hell, but I work in my uncle's body shop and could do the prep work myself, so the only cost would be materials and 2-3 hours of labor to spray.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1200574180.html

But 2600 seems like a lot. Maybe wait a while and try to talk them down a little?

What do you guys say? Drive the hell out of the Ranger and save up for something nicer after I finish school, or go for it?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
ArkTacomaFan is on a distinguished road

ArkTacomaFan's Tacoma Gallery
Good choice on getting a Toyota. I would look around as long as you can. You never know what type of deal you might find. That truck seemed a little high, but probably not a bad deal.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What's wrong with the Ranger?

Is it paid off?

If the Ranger is in good shape & running fine - why waste the money to get something else? The amount of money to buy a toyota, plus do all the repairs & maintenance it'll need after you buy it (all used vehicles need TLC after you buy them).... Seems pointless.

Save your money and buy a NEW or NEWER tacoma after the Ranger craps out.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Riceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the rough
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing major is wrong with the Ranger, and it is paid for, Its just that, at this point in time, I wish i had gotten something a little older and cheaper and with gas prices going back up, something that would get better than 16-17 MPG.

I believe my Ranger would serve me well, but I shouldn't have bought it. I won't be able to work much when I start school, and my parents are barely financially able to support themselves.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
your on a toyota site so im going to guess everyone says get the yota.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would think that pickup should have a 22RE, and fuel injected. I feel that is a very fair price for the pickup.

But I have to concur with Janster, I had a 94 chevy that I almost drove the wheels off of it, it was ugly but it was paid off. But the yota will need love as well, I would look newer.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I def love toyota but
2600 you could use at college, any money in fact you could use at college so voted keep the ranger!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i dont think you would be getting 20plus mpg with an older yota..hell, the new ones dont even get that
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
I def love toyota but
2600 you could use at college, any money in fact you could use at college so voted keep the ranger!
Actually the plan would be to sell the Ranger because I have so much tied up into it. I could have a Toyota fixed up and still have over $5,000 left over.

But the issue would be something, anything going wrong in the Yota. If it went out of comission for even a short time, I would be screwed. Not sure thats a risk I'm willing to take.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i dont think you would be getting 20plus mpg with an older yota..hell, the new ones dont even get that
It was rated at 23 when it was new. I know a guy with an 89 who gets 25 MPG, but he rarely drives more than 45-55.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceman View Post
Actually the plan would be to sell the Ranger because I have so much tied up into it. I could have a Toyota fixed up and still have over $5,000 left over.

But the issue would be something, anything going wrong in the Yota. If it went out of comission for even a short time, I would be screwed. Not sure thats a risk I'm willing to take.
Oh yeah you said that sorry
My first toyota was a 87 xcab drove the heck out of it
Great truck!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh yeah you said that sorry
My first toyota was a 87 xcab drove the heck out of it
Great truck!!!
Why'd you get rid of it? Problems or time to upgrade?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to sell the Ranger, I'd get a small, first generation Tacoma. I have the 4 banger 5 speed version with a 2.4 liter engine. Believe it or not the ride quality on these is very good and you can expect close to 30MPG freeway. I like the 22R engines in the older Toyotas but they do have this one issue where the timing chain sometimes wears through the nylon tensioner which can cause major problems. I'd say you could pick up a used 95-2000ish small taco for well under $4,000.

On the other hand, Rangers are probably one of the better domestic trucks out there. My brother had one for 6 years and abused the absolute hell out of it. He only sold it because he ran the transmission out of oil and it froze up. $300 later and the guy he sold it to had slapped in a used tranny and I believe still drives it. But he drove it almost all the way through college.

So ya- I'm sorta with the rest of the people here: keep what you've got until you're done with school.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Why'd you get rid of it? Problems or time to upgrade?
Oh definitely no problems...I bought a house then bought another toyota.
All my toyota trucks 87, 90, 95 4WD xcabs went mega miles with little issues. In fact, those who bought them after me (my friends) went more miles with nothing than regular maintenance. In the northeast, its salt and rust that killed them.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
If you're going to sell the Ranger, I'd get a small, first generation Tacoma. I have the 4 banger 5 speed version with a 2.4 liter engine. Believe it or not the ride quality on these is very good and you can expect close to 30MPG freeway. I like the 22R engines in the older Toyotas but they do have this one issue where the timing chain sometimes wears through the nylon tensioner which can cause major problems. I'd say you could pick up a used 95-2000ish small taco for well under $4,000.

On the other hand, Rangers are probably one of the better domestic trucks out there. My brother had one for 6 years and abused the absolute hell out of it. He only sold it because he ran the transmission out of oil and it froze up. $300 later and the guy he sold it to had slapped in a used tranny and I believe still drives it. But he drove it almost all the way through college.

So ya- I'm sorta with the rest of the people here: keep what you've got until you're done with school.
I wish I had gotten a mid-late 90's something instead of a newer vehicle. But when I bought it, my parents were employed, and the economy wasn't in the pits.

Quote:
Oh definitely no problems...I bought a house then bought another toyota.
All my toyota trucks 87, 90, 95 4WD xcabs went mega miles with little issues. In fact, those who bought them after me (my friends) went more miles with nothing than regular maintenance. In the northeast, its salt and rust that killed them.
My dad used to have a Corolla that went 460k before it finally dropped a valve. Rust isn't to big of a problem down here, but you still see a few that are covered in it.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FL-1-Own-Original-4x4-P-U-80K-Mi-5sp-Manual-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ330335140980QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item4ce9823c74&_trksid=p4506.c0. m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317|240%3A1318#

This is more what I had in mind. Clean and in good condition.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
ArkTacomaFan is on a distinguished road

ArkTacomaFan's Tacoma Gallery
I love the 94! You should get it. Good price too.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Another good reason to keep the Ranger.

You gotta remember.... when you buy USED vehicles (especially older ones), you are inheriting a history. That history could be a bastard life with a lack of maintenance & repairs over the years. If you're lucky - you could get a good truck and not have to put much money into it. OR - you take the chance of inheriting a bastard child!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #19
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Get a newer Yota.. and maybe move closer to school.. I drove 35 Miles each way to go to college back in the day.. and after about a month i was skipping class 2-3 times a week to avoid the drive..
Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
bigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud of
Name: mike
bigyetti's Tacoma Gallery
The ranger is paid off. use the money for college. your toyotya dreams will come true when you can pay for it. save your money. even though i have almost always had toyotas i have also owned a 94 chevy blazer i got as a gift keep it for 3 yrs until i bought my dads 94 pickup. just wait it out . sorry for the long post