Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

steering wheel shakeing.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
cgarano is on a distinguished road
cgarano's Tacoma Gallery
steering wheel shakeing.

Hi there, Just bought a new 09 tacom v6 4x4 Dbl cab short bed and I am experiencing shaking in the in the seering wheel above 60 mph,took it to the dealer realighned and rebalenced the wheels and it's still doing it. The dealer says this is normal, is any one else expeirencing this? Thanks for you help.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Try moving the front tires to the back. If the shaking goes away you know one of the tires you moved to the back is not balanced correctly.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The Dealer said it NORMAL!? You have to be shitting me!? Make them fix it. Its NOT normal. Could be the alignment. If you get nowear with them, call the 800 number in the owners manual.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The Dealer said it NORMAL!? You have to be shitting me!? Make them fix it. Its NOT normal. Could be the alignment. If you get nowear with them, call the 800 number in the owners manual.
X2
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
My truck does not do this at all.

Maybe a sway bar issue? My Suzuki had a similar issue, well pretty much the exact same thing and it was the sway bar bushings.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
blackhawk63 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ali
blackhawk63's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 02 tacoma and mine does this too
sometimes when im going 60-64 and all the time going 65-70
I got my tires balanced and it still does it
mine is not only the steering wheel, but the seats too

I think it might be the alignment because my truck moves to the right a lot

im getting new tires wheels shocks and alignment next week so it might go away i hope!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
auart is on a distinguished road
Name: ART
auart's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4 week old Tacoma DBL Cab and mine doesn't. The Tires need to be Balanced... Ask your dealer if they do the ROAD FORCE Balancing. IF they do that, it will probably fix your problem.
My wife's 4runner has the 17" wheels just liek a Sport Tacoma and they do this after about 15,000 miles, then I take it to my tire guy and he does the Road Force Balance on them (ALL 4 ) and it is gone.
One wieght can come off and it will make your truck feel liek it is coming unglued!

Give it a shot.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Don't listen to those dumbass service techs in the front, they don't know sh!t. They HAVE to fix it, because its NOT normal. Why the funk would you sell a car that effing shakes? Stoopid techs. On a lighter note, you might have a bump on your tire causing your shake. Rotate you wheels and see if that helps. I would also get a friend or buddy that might be more mechanically inclide and get his/her opinion
Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
also try switching thtires from the right to the left, the tires might have slightly different rubber compounds, bfg's and dunlop tires they put on those trucks suck. get michelins
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it......every time i hit the brakes medium to hard force
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
No better friend,No worse enemy...
InfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant future
Marines: iKill
Name: G
InfidelTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
bfg's and dunlop tires they put on those trucks suck. get michelins

x2 michelin cross trail or LTX. very goooood. and maybe ur taco wants to eat some dirt. run the crap out of her in the dirt. works for me when i come across any problems.

G
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
my 2000 does it too with michelin's. Feels like it's gonna come apart between 55-60 then smooths out and comes back over 70. Of course I need an alignment and balance too though. It's been awhile....been holding out hoping to just get a 2nd gen and save the money.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
rotors are warped most likely
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
pad transfer most likely
ftfy.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
rotors are warped most likely
thank God im getting my 30K check up at 33,000miles
They will check my brakes, what causes them to warp?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #16
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
It's not normal, but it is pretty common it seems with the 2nd gens. My shaking was from the BFG Rugged Trails, which the dealer refused to do crap about. I just took it to discount tire, they did a road force test, they failed miserably, put the credit toward a new set of BFG KO AT's. Shaking was gone...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats probably warped rotors if it shakes when you hit the brakes
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
thats probably warped rotors if it shakes when you hit the brakes
Happens when I go faster then 25 usually
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #19
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Happens when I go faster then 25 usually
ya get your rotors checked if its only when you hit the brakes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
ya get your rotors checked if its only when you hit the brakes
I will cause not only does my steering shake violently when braking but when stopped i have to push the brake all the way down cause my truck will start to crawl if not pushed down all the way