Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Toyota to unveil a Hybrid...

Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota to unveil a Hybrid...

Pickup. Interesting to see what it looks like.

Quote:
Toyota Motor Corp. plans to introduce a concept hybrid pickup truck featuring improved fuel economy and lower emissions at the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the automaker said Friday.

The A-BAT concept vehicle is equipped with Hybrid Synergy Drive, Toyota's third-generation gas-electric hybrid powertrain technology, according to the company. Its trapezoidal profile was borrowed from the Prius, another hybrid Toyota vehicle.

"This concept is the next evolution of the compact truck," said Kevin Hunter, president of Calty Design Research Inc., Toyota's North American-based research and design center, in a statement.

The four-passenger pickup features a 4-foot bed, while a translucent roof panel slides open to allow for tall cargo inside the cab. The bed can be extended by 2 feet by folding down the passthrough midgate into the cab and by another 2 feet by opening the tailgate.

The truck uses a unibody platform for improved handling and a smoother ride. Inside, there is a retractable portable navigation unit with a 7-inch screen and wireless Internet, while the center console houses a portable battery pack.

Both the driver and front passenger have large display screens to view the status of their high-tech gadgets and climate and audio settings.

The A-BAT has solar panels atop the instrument panel to capture sunlight and convert it to energy, to assist in charging the navigation unit, battery pack and backlit information displays, Toyota said.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Sir Anal Loin of Beef
Dcrooks84 has a spectacular aura aboutDcrooks84 has a spectacular aura about

Dcrooks84's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Dcrooks84
Interesting. I go to the NAIAS every year in Detroit. I'll make a point to take some pics of this and post as soon as I get back from it.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
NORCAL Tacoma is on a distinguished road

NORCAL Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
link

Here is a link I found.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/12...a-bat-concept/

Not the best looking truck, but maybe they will take some of the concepts and put them in a Hybrid Tacoma.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
That thing is UGLY! Looks like an evil baby metrosexualmobile (aka Ridgeline).

I like the mid-gate idea for cargo, but don't like the 4 foot bed. It would be interesting to get something like that for the double cabs. I'd like to find out what sort of performance and fuel efficiency they'll get out of the hybrid engine.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Aww, it looks like a Ridgeline .
Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it will grow on me (like cancer) When the new Tundras came out I thought they looked a lot like the Dodge().
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
That is one of the ugliest trucks i have ever seen. I have no interest in a hybrid. either full gas or full diesel, electric car technology scares me, its too new.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
electric car technology scares me, its too new.
What? Do you honestly think that a tiny cover band of elves lives in your radio? It's electricity! And it's already in your truck!

When was the last time you hand to manually crank your engine, like on the Model Ts? Never? I thought so. That's because an electric motor does it for you. Think about electric car technology as just a pair of big starter motors turning the drive wheels. Not so scary now?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
My score is a 5 out of 10.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
What? Do you honestly think that a tiny cover band of elves lives in your radio? It's electricity! And it's already in your truck!

When was the last time you hand to manually crank your engine, like on the Model Ts? Never? I thought so. That's because an electric motor does it for you. Think about electric car technology as just a pair of big starter motors turning the drive wheels. Not so scary now?
Still scary. Let me re-phrase. the concept of effectively moving a car on electric motors is new. They had all those electric concept cars out in the 80's and 90's but mass produced hybrid cars are fairly new. I had a friend who bought a prius (dont ask me why, he's an idiot and got made fun of for it constantly). Anyway, not only was the car way more than a normal car with a normal combustion engine, he started having immediate problems with it. fortunately it was under warranty but when his warranty runs out, it costs alot to work on those cars. I dont like hybrids
Old 01-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
Aww, it looks like a Ridgeline .
My thoughts exactly. WTF Toyota! There is enough Ridgelines on the road as it is.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is one of the ugliest trucks i have ever seen. I have no interest in a hybrid. either full gas or full diesel, electric car technology scares me, its too new.
They just discovered electricity in South Carolina. Hahaha.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still scary. Let me re-phrase. the concept of effectively moving a car on electric motors is new. They had all those electric concept cars out in the 80's and 90's but mass produced hybrid cars are fairly new. I had a friend who bought a prius (dont ask me why, he's an idiot and got made fun of for it constantly). Anyway, not only was the car way more than a normal car with a normal combustion engine, he started having immediate problems with it. fortunately it was under warranty but when his warranty runs out, it costs alot to work on those cars. I dont like hybrids
They have been making diesel-electric hybrid locomotives for decades. Granted, it's not cars, but not too far removed. One major advantage to electric motors is that they have maximum torque at zero RPMs. Think about that for a minute :-)
Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hybrids are actually worse for the environment than standard combustion engine cars because of the disposal of the batteries when their life cycle is up. However, electric cars are not new. Baker made electric cars in the early, early 1900s.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Hybrids are actually worse for the environment than standard combustion engine cars because of the disposal of the batteries when their life cycle is up. However, electric cars are not new. Baker made electric cars in the early, early 1900s.
Batteries can be recycled. The biggest risk with a hybrid is that technology changes very rapidly in comparison with gasoline engines so the hybrid motors are more likely to quickly become obsolete.