1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying my first Tacoma and could use advice

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by rosebud, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    rosebud

rosebud [OP] Love that transmission!

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Stock suspension, stock wheels, stock bumper, stock, stock, stock, dammit!
    I think that I posted my questions in the wrong place, so I will post here as well.

I have been driving toyota trucks for 25 years or so, but will be buying my first Tacoma very soon. I found two preowned Tacomas that are in my price range, and have a few questions. I am hoping to get some advice.

One of the Tacomas available is an 08 Prerunner 2WD I4 Access with manual transmission. It only has 6000 miles on it. The dealership wants around $17,000 for it. Here is more info:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 2WD Access I4 MT PreRunner C14992B Gulf Freeway

6,083 $16,980 $17,995

Options: Tilt Wheel , Tire-Pressure Monitoring System , AM/FM Stereo , CD Player , Additional Power Outlet(s) , Air Conditioning , Bucket Seats , Cloth Seats , Mirrors-Vanity-Passenger , Wheels-Steel , Reading Lamps-Front , Air Bag - Driver , Air Bag - Passenger , Air Bag On/Off Switch - Passenger...
    The other is an 09 Tacoma 2WD Access I4 with automatic transmission and it has over 10,000 miles on it. It is a little over $20,000. Here is more info for it:
    Mileage: 10,119
    Exterior: Silver Streak Mica
    Interior: Gray Cloth
    Engine: 2.7L DOHC EFI 16-valve I4 VVT-i engine VIN: 5TETX22N39Z617659
    Stock: 92307A
    MPG (C/H): 19 MPG/25 MPG

So, my first question is why the difference in price? Both of these trucks were sold last year, but the 08 has less mileage.

Also, should I get the auto or the manual? Both of my previous trucks were manual and they are still running.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

2. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    First off, welcome to TW.
    Second, I only see info on 1 truck.

The manual transmissions will usually hold up better due to their simplicity, but I am on my first automatic - I have to say that I like it. Plenty of people will swear by the automatic transmissions in these trucks.

3. Aug 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Hi Mark, and thanks for the welcome!

This is such a hard decision for me, because I know that I will be living with this truck for many years. I drove my first truck fr 14 years, and the second for 12. Both trucks have manual transmission, so shifting is not new or too much of a problem for me, though a friend reminded me that I am getting older! :p

I am just curious as to why there is a several K price difference between the two. They are essentially the same age, perhaps 6 months apart, even though one is the newer model, and the newer model also has more miles on it. Beyond that, they seem to have the same features. Here are links to both vehicles:

The 08 manual
    http://dealers.autouplinkusa.com/v/...MaxPrice=&STYLE=&ExtColor=&MaxMiles=&StockNo=

The 09
    http://hondahouston.mcdavid.com/Preowned-AutoRevo.aspx

I am going down to test drive the 08 at noon today.

4. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    if you click on the carfax link on the one at DeMontrond (the cheaper of the two), you will see that carfax is reporting some kind of accident damage.

5. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:10 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Yeah, I talked to the dealer about that and he said that the head light was bumped and cracked, but the previous owner bought a new one and replaced it. Would that small accident account for the price? I plan to have a really good look at that corner. Is there any way for me to view the actual police report?

6. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Weclome!!! Good to to see you want another taco. Good group of guys that will not steer in the wrong direction

7. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    The 08 is listed as a Toyota Certified preowned vehicle. Should that make me feel better about it?

8. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Okay, I just called the dealership that has the 09, and asked for specs and told them that I am also looking at the 08 with less mileage for several K less, and they are talking about really slashing the price on this 09. I suspect that it has a standard package just like the 08, and it has a clean carfax report.

What should I do???? :cool:

9. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    buy the '09

10. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Okay, the 09 has a standard 09 Tacoma Access 2WD I4 AT package, and they are begging me to come and let them "make it worth my while."

11. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    The 09 has all power, ie windows locks, etc.

The manual is all manual, except that it has power steering and power brakes.

I do worry that my Mother, who has AD, could more easily unlock the dorr or windows with the power buttns on the passenger side door.

What do I do????

12. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    The dealership with the 09 can only come down to around 19K.

What is the difference between a regular Tacoma and a prerunner? I am guessing that the prerunner has a higher suspension? Anything else?

13. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Well, I test drove both trucks. The 09 was nice and super easy to drive, but the salesman was as shifty as it gets and would not give me a straight answer. I insisted that I wanted a quoted out the door price and he refused to give me one!

So I went to look at and test drive the 08, and OH MY! I now completely understand the difference between the Prerunner and the regular Tacoma! The Prerunner feels like a truck! It sits high, whereas the other is low like a passenger car. This particular prerunner has fog lights installed, mud flaps, black mud guards on the wheel bases, side steps, and a tow hitch. It is manual, so the ride is not quite as smooth, but once I got used to it, I would be fine!

Here are a few pics. They let me drive it home for the night.
    truck001_b471e57d386e9f1a2b468b4f39f9229d37400cbc.jpg

That is my 94 truck in front of the Tacoma in this pic. You can see how much higher this truck is!
    truck002_c8a0809726a03b25d93f2b769bd7a3ae310730ca.jpg

The salesman at the other dealership was completely up front and just let the truck sell itself. He didn't pressure me and won't be surprising me with added expenses in the end if I go that route. Both trucks are beautiful, but I am leaning more toward the Prerunner because I can afford it more easily and because it looks and feels more like my dream truck! Then again, the auto trans was pretty nice, but I would have to deal with the creepy salesman.

What do yall think?

14. Aug 20, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    screw the first salesman, LOL not literaly of course...call the first dealership and find out when the pushy sales guys is not there, then go in and see another sales person.

if you are not comfortable with any one you have the power to change...just like going you to the other dealership, you are the consumer.

i love my auto tranny TRD prerunner. there's nothing wrong with the manual, but at times manual trannys are just not convienient. heck one's gotta eat, drink, rap on the phone and shift. nope, not me (joking of course). i do have the pleasure of manual shifting, but i do it on my '05 FJR, no auto tranny offered that year.

i feel you on the prerunner compared to the regular truck. myabe you can hold out for a little while longer and find the prerunner auto you REALLY want.

cadman

15. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    I really hate this, but the bigger truck barely passes the elderly mom with AD that I have to take into consideration test. I am taking care of her, and if it is hard for her to get into that prerunner now, it will be very hard for me to transport her in it down the line. I have to go for the more practical, but its still a Taco!

I might have to wait for the "toy". I have put a call into the general sales manager, so I am not messing with that other salesman. I'll let yall know how that goes. ;)

16. Aug 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    how often do you transport her? any other vehicle available for said task?

re-read one of your prior posts. you can lock the windws so only the driver can roll them down. no answer for her being able to unlock the door. hopefully she wont be able to mess with either of them.

17. Aug 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Yeah, she really can't maneuver the prerunner easily, and that won't get any better. My whole reason for buying now is that I have a 15 year old truck and a 10 year old Honda, and can't keep up with two or depend on either not to break down with her in the car at this point. I had to lean more to the side of practical for now. I made a hard decision, but got really tough with that first dealer. I got teary eyed when I returned the prerunner, but got the other dealership to MEET MY PRICE! :D For now, lets just say that I am a salesman's worst nighmare. I will explain a little later in the spririt of possibly helping others to get some bargaining power. Gotta go buy the 09 right now . . .

18. Aug 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    go get'em tigress

19. Aug 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    On the trailer hitch, I don't know, but it no longer matters. After I realized that the prerunner would not work with my mom, I woke up with a mission. I called the GM of the other dealership, and told him that the salesman that I spoke to yesterday put me off with the pressure tactics, that I am a well educated woman who does her homework, and that I easily recognize and will not put up with BS! I told him that I want straight talk and bottom line figures, or the deal ain't flying! Then I told him the following:

1) The Truck he had is a nice truck with lots of features, but it isn't a prerunner like the other one that I was looking at, and we both know a prerunner is a more expensive model.

He said, yeah.

2). Its an 09, but it was BOUGHT in 08, and that means that it started depreciating the day it left the lot in 08! ( I learned that little fact by reading consumer reports!)
    He said, yeah

3) It has 4000+ more miles on it than the 08.
    He said uh huh

4) I have been preapproved for some number under 19K total, so I need an out the door figure that I can get a loan for.
    He said how does $189000 sound? :D

So I return the Prerunner and I have to admit, I did cry a little. Then I went home and started cleaning out my 94 toyota truck to take and get a trade in appraisal, and some guy stopped me in the parking lot of my complex and asked me if I would sell it before I even had all my stuff out of it!! I swear, I have been getting notes on that truck for years with numbers and requests to let people know if I plan to sell it. But we couldn't come up with a figure as I hadn't checked into its worth, so I took it down to the dealership with me. They gave me another grand off the price of my new truck for it plus some off the taxes, so I left it. I probably could have sold it for a few hundred more, but it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

So, the 09 is sitting outside in front of my house and I have to admit, it drives and rides reeaaaalllly smooth and Momma can get in and out with very little problem. It is loaded. I think they said it has an SR5 package on it. I need to look into that. It will definitely work, I have my taco, and when my life is less complicated and more about me in a few years, then I will have either a Prerunner or a 4x4. ;)

20. Aug 20, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Sorry. Correction! $18900!

Products Discussed in

To Top