Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Truck size: Is bigger better?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
BCrunner is on a distinguished road
BCrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Truck size: Is bigger better?

Hi all,

As the original owner of a stock Toyota 1987 4wd Xtracab pick up, I long for the return of the small 4wd truck, the kind that made Toyota famous in the first place. I keep hoping that Toyota will introduce a new small truck to fill the void left as the Tacoma grew to a midsize truck and as all trucks continually increase in size. Today's midsize trucks are yesterday's full size trucks. Where does it end?

If Toyota offered a new small truck, I would buy one today. Does anyone else share this view?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Personally, I find the size of the second gens perfect for my needs. I do, however, think there still needs to be a "Small truck" segment.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
4wd Headquarters
Symon623 is on a distinguished road

Symon623's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Symon623 Send a message via MSN to Symon623 Send a message via Yahoo to Symon623
Welcome..... bigger has its bonus' but for wheelin I say smaller is better.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrunner View Post
Hi all,

As the original owner of a stock Toyota 1987 4wd Xtracab pick up, I long for the return of the small 4wd truck, the kind that made Toyota famous in the first place. I keep hoping that Toyota will introduce a new small truck to fill the void left as the Tacoma grew to a midsize truck and as all trucks continually increase in size. Today's midsize trucks are yesterday's full size trucks. Where does it end?

If Toyota offered a new small truck, I would buy one today. Does anyone else share this view?
Yea I know what you mean. The new Tacoma looks about the same size as the older Tundra.

If you want a smaller truck, you could always buy a Ford Ranger

Cheers.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
Yea I know what you mean. The new Tacoma looks about the same size as the older Tundra.
Dimensionally, its within a half an inch....
Old 08-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
I personally think Midsize is perfect for my needs. If its off roading you want and a smaller truck you need, then the Tacoma might not be for you. I don't know. I've taken my truck off roading but nothing serious. The standard cab 4x4 should do the trick!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
oh yeah...
Welcome to Tacoma World!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota should re design a truck similar to this for off road use with the solid axle up front to be a true TRD Offroad similar to what you were thinking?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the forum
My 1st Toyota Truck was a 87 4WD xcab SR5 22RTE - pic in my gallery.
I loved that truck!

Today my current GEN2 Tacoma DC came after owning two GEN1 Tundras...a 2004 Double Cab & 2006 Access Cab. From experience, that 04 Tundra was no where close in size my tacoma. The Access Cab was close but the tacoma feels to be the best fit for me.