Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Wheel and grille painting

Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel and grille painting

ok I want to paint my trd offroad wheels and the chrome around my grille.
The wheels I want to do dark like black or dark grey and grille silver or black.
Have any of you guys done this?? can you post pics for me and some tips on prepping it properly the spraying is easy, and the color and sheen in your pics, thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
Here is a LINK for your wheels. I don't have a link for the grille. But I have read that most guys sand down the grille and take it to a professional. They can color match for you.
Hey that link is perfect thanks I dont want something too shiney so is there something between flat and semi-gloss?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
semi gloss isnt really that shiney. it's whats on the front of my bumper and grille.

it'll only be shiney if you use a gloss or clear coat.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a link for your grille surround
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery

I removed the grille and sidemarkers to paint them. Its pretty easy. I scuffed them really good with some 400 grit. I then used a couple coats of primer. I went over that very lightly with a Scotchbrite pad.

For the black I just used a Rustoleum semi-gloss. Considering the abuse it has taken, it really hasn't chipped much in 3 years. I have since gone over the bumper (it was chrome) since the painting with a POR-15. That is just to get by until I can get an ARB bumper.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
wolf13 is on a distinguished road
wolf13's Tacoma Gallery
How long did you let each coat dry? Doable in a threeday (or 2.5 day)weekend?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
what ever you do. with the grill make sure you sand it with 100 or 120 befor then primer it. then do a light etch and paint it.
i did not do that the first time and i travle alot to go to college so bugs after about 6 months have taken its toll
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
semi gloss isnt really that shiney. it's whats on the front of my bumper and grille.

it'll only be shiney if you use a gloss or clear coat.
Satin is between Semi Gloss and Matte/Flat usually....Just another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
How long did you let each coat dry? Doable in a threeday (or 2.5 day)weekend?
Follow the directions on the paint you use. The paint I worked with said let dry 25-30 mins between coats and then set for 2 days. So I did 3 coats per wheel and then let them dry over night inside out of the elements and then put them back on the truck.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a semi-gloss or matte clearcoat and that will help too.

I tore mine off, prepped, taped off and painted one day and let it dry over night. Then I just reassembled the next day. I think the overnight part was the hardest seeing I was so axious to get rid of that chrome!!