Notices

Toyota prerunner differential oil

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Snoop is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Richard
Snoop's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota prerunner differential oil

I just had my 2006 Tacoma (PreRunner, 2WD) in for it's 30,000 mile service. The shop (not a dealer) said that they didn't change the gear oil in the differential because they were not sure if it is a limited-slip differential or not, and supposedly two different kinds are used. They said that I might be able to tell using the VIN. Can anyone help? I tried googling and no results, and had a quick look in here but still a little unsure.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
SantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: EAS
Name: Logan
SantaCruz'n's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed my Diff oil with 3 quarts of oil and 1 tube of LSD oil. I have a 2005 Prerunner
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Lsd

Look under your truck at the diff cover, it should have a sticker that says, (LSD).

Rear diff oil change link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...-step-how.html

Old 10-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Air Force:
Snoop's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the sticker that says C6... nothing else. Not much help there I am afraid!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
I've got the sticker that says C6... nothing else. Not much help there I am afraid!

If you don't have the "LSD OIL ONLY" sticker, you should not have anything to worry about. There is always a chance that your sticker fell off, although, if you don't have a TRD Sport, chances are about 30:1 that you do not have an LSD. The only way you could have got an LSD was to have one special ordered from the port or to have had one installed your self.

If you are really paranoid about this, go ahead and just put the LSD additive in your rear diff oil. It will no absolutely no harm to the rear in if you don't have an LSD, and if by some small stroke of luck you do have one, it will eliminate the possibility of chatter. The additive is only about 7 dollars for the rear end. (note that only the rear end has a LSD in any of the Tacoma applications)
Old 10-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Air Force:
Snoop's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

You guys have all been great. I'll get that gear oil changed today!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
Got Tacoma will become famous soon enough
Name: Gila
Got Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How to determine if you have a limited slip or Posi rear diff.

Jack up the rear of the truck making sure both tires are off the ground. With the truck in neutral and the parking brake released using your hands rotate one tire in the forward direction. If the other tire rotates in the opposite direction then you have an open differential. If both tires rotate in the same direction then you have a limited slip or posi rear differential.