Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Land Cruiser: your opinions

Old 02-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Land Cruiser: your opinions

Hey guys. I love my truck, but in an effort to save money i have been considering selling it and buying something less expensive. i have looked at 1st gen Tacos, but then i started looking and Land Cruisers. I know alot of people love these vehicles but i'm wondering how they hold up. i know most of them are AWD, which from my understanding is not as usefull off-road as true 4x4's. is this true? How do Land Cruisers hold up in the mud, trials etc...

Are they as tough and reliable and heavy duty as other toyota products? The following is a link to one i'm looking at that has an inline 6 cyl. i had no idea toyota ever made an inline 6! thats the next best thing to a diesel! anyway, take a look at this link and let me know wht you think. the mileage is relatively low for a Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser Link

whoa! that is a long link and i have no idea how to compact it down and make it just say "land cruiser link". if any of you mods can do that then go right agead. Anyway, any feedback regarding Cruisers would be much appreciated, negative or positive. Thanks guys
Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I've eyed up the land cruisers before as well, however I don't know much about them. That looks like a decent one. I would imagine it shares the same reliabillity as most Yotas do. I've been in a toyota since 97 and have never been dissappointed.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I've eyed up the land cruisers before as well, however I don't know much about them. That looks like a decent one. I would imagine it shares the same reliabillity as most Yotas do. I've been in a toyota since 97 and have never been dissappointed.
I would think they are reliable. I love inline 6 engines, that what i had in my beamer and even though it was smaller than other engines the torque was amazing. Inline engines are great, thats what caught my attention with the Cruisers. My only concern with that particular truck is the price and the mileage. for the miles being that low the price seems kind of low. it looks like it has spent some time in the muck. i'd hate to be buying something that has been abused. although i haven't been looking long enough to know if that is a good price for that particular modle or not. i researched Taco's for about 4 months before i bought, i dont feel like doing all that again

BTW, thanks for fixing the link for me Bob
Old 02-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
wait till YourMaster hears about this. He is going to rip you a new one.

If you have to sell yourself to afford the Tacoma, you should get rid of the Tacoma. We don't need any little minidouches running around. But, if you can stop buying your girl presents and afford the Taco, then do that.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Any I've seen for sale in my area have been cheaper too. I don't think they they have nearly the demand or place in the spotlight as the Tacomas.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #6

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
wait till YourMaster hears about this. He is going to rip you a new one.

If you have to sell yourself to afford the Tacoma, you should get rid of the Tacoma. We don't need any little minidouches running around. But, if you can stop buying your girl presents and afford the Taco, then do that.
I can definately afford the Taco but if i got this i could have it paid off in under a year. it would just be nice to have extra money. plus you have to admit that Cruiser is bad ass! I got the Taco for 26.5k in march, and already owe under 20k on it and kbb says its worth 23. So if i sold it i would have alot to put down on that cruiser. When i first got the taco i made double and triple payments on it the first few months so that if i did decide to sell it i could sell it for more than i owe. so if i did get rid of it i wouldnt be upside down. That cruiser just gives me a warm feeling in my stomach
Old 02-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #7

Most of the ones I see for sale around here are v8s
Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #8

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Most of the ones I see for sale around here are v8s
yeah, i saw a bunch of those, but i have no interest in a V8, i'd much rather have the inline 6. the one in my beamer was bullet proof, i can only imagine the toyota will be just as tough if not tougher
Old 02-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
come on couch....stick with the tacoma!!! we arent calling the meet a tacoma meet for nothing!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #10

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
come on couch....stick with the tacoma!!! we arent calling the meet a tacoma meet for nothing!!!
I doubt i'm actually going to go through with the trade, but i was just wondering about the Land Cruiser in case i did. Either way, id still stick around the site and definately would still be going to the Meet
Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
That's it, if 007 and ND are out, I'm selling mine and getting a prius and then I'm going to convert it to run on diesel!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
In the U.S. there is a small faction of owners, and these trucks are very durable, and competent. In Europe, Southeast & Southwest Asia these trucks are legendary, and have actually taken the status from Land Rover. I would feel that you would be happy with this truck, but it won't save you any money. Never having one, but a heavy, large bodied, 4WD truck will never be a Camry, and since they are not a popular as a Tacoma, they will gig you on parts and service. The truck in the link is awesome, one of the last true trucks before this SUV/SUT soccer mom mini van blend of vanilla vehicles that strive for function but always come up short. You have to ask the question: why is this guy selling such a nice truck ? his needs have changed ? or the reality of 4 dollars a gallon ? You could sell your Taco, maybe break even, drop $12,000 on this truck, and where would you be ? If you had bought this truck 5 years ago, had it paid for, then all you had was gas, oil, and tires, then you might be somewhere.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #13

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
That's it, if 007 and ND are out, I'm selling mine and getting a prius and then I'm going to convert it to run on diesel!
That probably suits you better than a truck anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
In the U.S. there is a small faction of owners, and these trucks are very durable, and competent. In Europe, Southeast & Southwest Asia these trucks are legendary, and have actually taken the status from Land Rover. I would feel that you would be happy with this truck, but it won't save you any money. Never having one, but a heavy, large bodied, 4WD truck will never be a Camry, and since they are not a popular as a Tacoma, they will gig you on parts and service. The truck in the link is awesome, one of the last true trucks before this SUV/SUT soccer mom mini van blend of vanilla vehicles that strive for function but always come up short. You have to ask the question: why is this guy selling such a nice truck ? his needs have changed ? or the reality of 4 dollars a gallon ? You could sell your Taco, maybe break even, drop $12,000 on this truck, and where would you be ? If you had bought this truck 5 years ago, had it paid for, then all you had was gas, oil, and tires, then you might be somewhere.
Yeah, i thought about why he is selling it at such a seemingly goog price. But 96k miles seems really low for a toyota. I got my Beamer at 136k and put over 100k on it and barely sunk any money into it. Although i wonder how many of those 96k were put on it abusing the hell out of it on rocks or in huge mud pits. It is a badass truck but i'd be hesitant to buy something that was modded out for off-road use like that.

I knew that they had a good reputation all over the world but i didnt know if the american versions were as badass. Sort of like the Hilux vs. the Taco. the Taco is good but the Hilux is better. i didnt know if the Cruiser had the same "rival" version of itself. How does the AWD compare to true 4x4? i though traditionally 4x4 was better than AWD in offroad situations?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I feel the 4x4 is a better than AWD for something like what you and I would want to delve into. I don't know about this truck (link) is that some of them had what is called a "crawl" where you push a button and the truck does all the work sans steering. They are really well thought out trucks, maybe worth a look ?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #15

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
I feel the 4x4 is a better than AWD for something like what you and I would want to delve into. I don't know about this truck (link) is that some of them had what is called a "crawl" where you push a button and the truck does all the work sans steering. They are really well thought out trucks, maybe worth a look ?
i need too many things. i need a boat, another beamer, and a land cruiser. i need to run some kind of scam to make some quick cash.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
alextreme76 is on a distinguished road

alextreme76's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 91 TLC...best truck ever, awesome offroad, but terrible mileage, i vow to buy another 91-92 as a toy only. 98 was last year for the I6, torque out the yang and 4:10 gears. FJ40, old cruisers are awesome, but pricey, FJ60 77?-88 are a wagon, but beefy axles, easy to lift leaf springs 2FE motor is great and a 5spd. FJ62 88-90 is an FJ60 body with square headlight and little diff drivetrain. same leafs but 3FE motor and only in auto, full time 4wd only. FJ80 my fave 91-92, is FJ62 guts with round body. These have the best transfer cases, they lock up with an electric lock so your differenting transfer case for the street become instant rock ready and they are the strongest, there is a part time kit that will make the lock engage 4H and 4L so you have a 2wd cruiser and they are supposed to get 15mpg at best, which is good for a beast. FZJ-80 93-98, little more horse power and could get factory lockers at axles, but the transfer case
is limited slip design, so its still streetable but you dont have that 50:50 power split, i think its 60:40 at best and thats not with a worn out transfer case, otherwise the same. FJ100 are dead to me, IFS and its no long a landy in my book. checkout slee offroad, they make some INSANE 80series
Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #17

nd's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for your input alex. a Cruiser may be a project truck way down the road but i'll prolly just stick with the Taco for now. Although i really REALLY want to get my hands on one of the older I6 Cruisers. i know what you mean about the torque, I6's are badass
Old 06-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
TJOPILOT will become famous soon enough
TJOPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
Oh nd, don't make me dig up my next project rig for you!!!

(6 inch lift with 37s!)

STILL TRYING TO TALK MY MOTHER IN LAW OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #19

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJOPILOT View Post
Oh nd, don't make me dig up my next project rig for you!!!

(6 inch lift with 37s!)

STILL TRYING TO TALK MY MOTHER IN LAW OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!
i remember that. way too nice to trash offroad..... at least thats what i said a few months ago...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
TJOPILOT will become famous soon enough
TJOPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
LOL! I thought that is what you are looking for!? Any luck on the search?