1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disappointment in toyota

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by 95.5taco, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    95.5taco

95.5taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Canada
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 sr5 extcab
    air raid cold air intake, throttle body spacer, rear 2.5" add-a-leafs, downey headers, dynomax ultroflo muffler,new carbon fiber tail lights, warn transformer grille guard, Alpine mp3 player,Kicker competition speakers. Rancho 5000 shocks
    OK I am a toyota guy through and through I have owned three generations of toyota truck and quite happy with my current 95 taco. I have been looking at the new gen tacos and the new gen tundras but I saw some videos last night that made me almost cry. My buddy is a big Ford fan and I was coexing him to buy a toyota, normally he doesn't research anything however he did on this and I am glad he did. Go to the FORD.com website and go to the f150 page, look at the gallery and watch the videos. They have an independant person come in and do tests on f150, tundra, ram and silverado. I was appalled at what toyota has put into their tundra. they did a sideways frame stress test with only 225lbs attached to the frame and they let it go, the whole tundra frame twisted!!!!! The frame is not boxed only under the cab the rest is c chanel and the cross members are POP RIVETED to the frame. There are a few more videos that just make your head shake. Anyways I just had to vent my frustration and now I am actually deciding whether I want to buy a toyota truck again.

2. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's a dedicated ford video...what do you expect?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

Having a strong frame doesn't say much of anything. In a serious accident....the Toyota frame will probably crumple and absorb the impact = totalling the truck. While - in a Ford, the truck will still be OK but you'll have a broken back, neck, and punctured spleen.

Can't go by everything you see.

3. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
  4. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    x2. Do a search on here for people who have wrecked their Tacos and see how satisfied they were with the results. I haven't seen anyone complain about the safety of the Taco in a wreck, but I have seen 4 or 5 people who have wrecked and have praised the truck for the way it stood up to the impact.

5. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I refuse to get into another Ford bashing thread!!! Wait...:laugh:

6. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    So here ya go...
    [​IMG]

7. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
  8. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Slightly off topic: Don't know what kind of frame it has, but when I was looking for a car, I looked at the Camry. The salesman said the front frame was designed to crumple and drop the engine on the ground, rather than have it go back and crush your legs.

I would much rather have the frame crumple to absorb the impact than radiate that energy into my or my passengers' bodies.

Although I would like to hear from Ford owners how well their trucks have held up during real accidents - not the tests the safety institute does.

9. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Enough Said.

funny-shit.gif

10. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
  11. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    apw100

apw100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD Off Road, 17" MM 955's, etc.
    Bilstein 5100 front shocks, Clarion VX409 DVD/ipod head unit, aFe air filter, Grillcraft MX grille, color matched grille surround.
    Have you ever heard of anyone complaining about their Tundra/Taco because the frame collapsed? I didn't think so.

12. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    It would seem the OP has learned a valuable lesson here today...

13. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Ramphonic

Ramphonic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2k1 SR5 4x4 V6
    Adjustable Bilstein, AAL Lift, Eagle Rims with BFG ATs, Trd Exhaust, Clear Corners, Red Clear Tails
    They talk about how the f150 frame is better because its boxed BUT the Super duty is a C channel. So the heavier duty truck has a weaker frame. Wrong! I think its more then needed in a half ton

14. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Ok,

Factory videos are designed for what,SELL the PRODUCT;)..

Pop rivets,I think not....MY Kenworth tractors did NOT have "nut/bolt" frames but "Huck bolted"( large pop-rivets:D;)) as were my cabs...million mile vehicles;)....

I LOVE the NET...dis/mis- information capital of the world...it used to be if it was on TV ..must be true.now the "Net":rolleyes::cool:..

I will give Ford credit on their passenger safety though....bad wreck with a new "Tang" and 2 Large-cars...driver survived because the "sub-frame" DID break off the frame and protected her( saved her life along with the seat-belt/air-bags)...real life..no factory "guru's".....

S

15. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    If there's any complaint about C channel frames, is the 1st gen tacomas and frame rot. :rolleyes:

16. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Grant it, it's an older Ford but the video speaks volume as to the dedication Toyota has in regards to safety (- the whole shortening of the gas pedal because it sticks to the floor mat). Don't get me wrong, Ford has come a long way with their vehicles in safety, reliability and dependability but NOT long enough for me to purchase one should my Tacoma get totaled. Even the Dodge Ram looks nicer but can't and wouldn't base it on appearance alone. One could turn around and say that Ford and Dodge are obviously doing something right to have sold as many trucks as they have, but consider this. If Toyota had a full-size back them (even before the T-100), how much of their business do you think Toyota would have gained when the reputation they had with their Tacomas back then?

17. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I couldn't find a 2009 crash test video for a Tundra...and why I posted the older models (year to year comparison).

Toyota dropped the ball in not developing a better fullsize earlier. However - Ford, Chevy & Dodge already had a very strong truck market - that's very hard to compete againest when Toyota didn't have experience in terms of heavy duty trucks back then.

If I had to guess, their priorities were in developing and fine tuning their hybrid technology / Prius. In looking at the history - the Prius was a concept car in 95 and first went into production in 97.

So, not to change the topic....but I believe Toyota made the right decision in spending their time with hybrid techonlogy. Afterall, they're the only car manufacturer with a hybrid that's been on the road for 12 years.

18. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    storktaylor

storktaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner TRD Off-Road
    Bak FLip G2 ScanGauge2 Black Labrador Retriever
    This video is a promotional stunt and that is all. All this says is that the Ford frame BY ITSELF stands up to a very eccentric force "better" than the Toyota frame BY ITSELF. I am trying to think of a scenario where a displaced (anyone else notice that?) downward force would be put on only one corner of the truck frame. Using this "test" to say that the ford is stronger is like taking a 2"x4"x8' joist, breaking it in half with your foot and saying that your house is going to collapse because it is made of such "weak" supports . Maybe the Toyota body provides more rigidity than the Ford, but the only way to tell is to test complete truck vs. complete truck. I did not watch the rest of the ford propaganda, but this is a sales video, nothing more, nothing less. Also the "independent" guy uses the word "our" a lot to describe the Ford. I seriously doubt his objectivity. Also did anyone notice that they did not take the force off?? I could be that the Toyota frame bounces back, but the more rigid Ford frame is stuck in that twist. I guess we'll never know...

I think that the crash videos in the next post are a whole lot more telling than the "frame analysis." Looks to me that the Toyota did a whole lot better.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong...

19. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    I couldn't agree with you more. No Toyota bailout money either.

20. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

X10 Thank you !!! I wonder if the OP knows what holds Aircraft / Helicopters together ,,,, POP RIVETS !!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top