Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Disappointment in toyota

Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
95.5taco will become famous soon enough95.5taco will become famous soon enough

95.5taco's Tacoma Gallery
Disappointment in toyota

OK I am a toyota guy through and through I have owned three generations of toyota truck and quite happy with my current 95 taco. I have been looking at the new gen tacos and the new gen tundras but I saw some videos last night that made me almost cry. My buddy is a big Ford fan and I was coexing him to buy a toyota, normally he doesn't research anything however he did on this and I am glad he did. Go to the FORD.com website and go to the f150 page, look at the gallery and watch the videos. They have an independant person come in and do tests on f150, tundra, ram and silverado. I was appalled at what toyota has put into their tundra. they did a sideways frame stress test with only 225lbs attached to the frame and they let it go, the whole tundra frame twisted!!!!! The frame is not boxed only under the cab the rest is c chanel and the cross members are POP RIVETED to the frame. There are a few more videos that just make your head shake. Anyways I just had to vent my frustration and now I am actually deciding whether I want to buy a toyota truck again.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It's a dedicated ford video...what do you expect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

Having a strong frame doesn't say much of anything. In a serious accident....the Toyota frame will probably crumple and absorb the impact = totalling the truck. While - in a Ford, the truck will still be OK but you'll have a broken back, neck, and punctured spleen.

Can't go by everything you see.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
It's a dedicated ford video...what do you expect?

Can't go by everything you see.
x2. Do a search on here for people who have wrecked their Tacos and see how satisfied they were with the results. I haven't seen anyone complain about the safety of the Taco in a wreck, but I have seen 4 or 5 people who have wrecked and have praised the truck for the way it stood up to the impact.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I refuse to get into another Ford bashing thread!!! Wait...
Old 12-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
So here ya go...
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-my-truck.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...r-end-hit.html

There are 2 threads to see how the truck withstood a pretty solid lick.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Slightly off topic: Don't know what kind of frame it has, but when I was looking for a car, I looked at the Camry. The salesman said the front frame was designed to crumple and drop the engine on the ground, rather than have it go back and crush your legs.

I would much rather have the frame crumple to absorb the impact than radiate that energy into my or my passengers' bodies.

Although I would like to hear from Ford owners how well their trucks have held up during real accidents - not the tests the safety institute does.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Enough Said.
Attached Thumbnails
Disappointment in toyota-funny-shit.gif  
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
btkicker will become famous soon enough
btkicker's Tacoma Gallery

^^
Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
apw100 will become famous soon enough
apw100's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever heard of anyone complaining about their Tundra/Taco because the frame collapsed? I didn't think so.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
It would seem the OP has learned a valuable lesson here today...
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Ramphonic is on a distinguished road

Ramphonic's Tacoma Gallery
They talk about how the f150 frame is better because its boxed BUT the Super duty is a C channel. So the heavier duty truck has a weaker frame. Wrong! I think its more then needed in a half ton
Old 12-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #14
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Ok,

Factory videos are designed for what,SELL the PRODUCT..

Pop rivets,I think not....MY Kenworth tractors did NOT have "nut/bolt" frames but "Huck bolted"( large pop-rivets) as were my cabs...million mile vehicles....

I LOVE the NET...dis/mis- information capital of the world...it used to be if it was on TV ..must be true.now the "Net"..

I will give Ford credit on their passenger safety though....bad wreck with a new "Tang" and 2 Large-cars...driver survived because the "sub-frame" DID break off the frame and protected her( saved her life along with the seat-belt/air-bags)...real life..no factory "guru's".....

S
Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphonic View Post
They talk about how the f150 frame is better because its boxed BUT the Super duty is a C channel.
If there's any complaint about C channel frames, is the 1st gen tacomas and frame rot.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Grant it, it's an older Ford but the video speaks volume as to the dedication Toyota has in regards to safety (- the whole shortening of the gas pedal because it sticks to the floor mat). Don't get me wrong, Ford has come a long way with their vehicles in safety, reliability and dependability but NOT long enough for me to purchase one should my Tacoma get totaled. Even the Dodge Ram looks nicer but can't and wouldn't base it on appearance alone. One could turn around and say that Ford and Dodge are obviously doing something right to have sold as many trucks as they have, but consider this. If Toyota had a full-size back them (even before the T-100), how much of their business do you think Toyota would have gained when the reputation they had with their Tacomas back then?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Grant it, it's an older Ford but the video speaks volume as to the dedication Toyota has in regards to safety (- the whole shortening of the gas pedal because it sticks to the floor mat). Don't get me wrong, Ford has come a long way with their vehicles in safety, reliability and dependability but NOT long enough for me to purchase one should my Tacoma get totaled. Even the Dodge Ram looks nicer but can't and wouldn't base it on appearance alone. One could turn around and say that Ford and Dodge are obviously doing something right to have sold as many trucks as they have, but consider this. If Toyota had a full-size back them (even before the T-100), how much of their business do you think Toyota would have gained when the reputation they had with their Tacomas back then?
I couldn't find a 2009 crash test video for a Tundra...and why I posted the older models (year to year comparison).

Toyota dropped the ball in not developing a better fullsize earlier. However - Ford, Chevy & Dodge already had a very strong truck market - that's very hard to compete againest when Toyota didn't have experience in terms of heavy duty trucks back then.

If I had to guess, their priorities were in developing and fine tuning their hybrid technology / Prius. In looking at the history - the Prius was a concept car in 95 and first went into production in 97.

So, not to change the topic....but I believe Toyota made the right decision in spending their time with hybrid techonlogy. Afterall, they're the only car manufacturer with a hybrid that's been on the road for 12 years.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
storktaylor is on a distinguished road

Marines:
storktaylor's Tacoma Gallery
This video is a promotional stunt and that is all. All this says is that the Ford frame BY ITSELF stands up to a very eccentric force "better" than the Toyota frame BY ITSELF. I am trying to think of a scenario where a displaced (anyone else notice that?) downward force would be put on only one corner of the truck frame. Using this "test" to say that the ford is stronger is like taking a 2"x4"x8' joist, breaking it in half with your foot and saying that your house is going to collapse because it is made of such "weak" supports . Maybe the Toyota body provides more rigidity than the Ford, but the only way to tell is to test complete truck vs. complete truck. I did not watch the rest of the ford propaganda, but this is a sales video, nothing more, nothing less. Also the "independent" guy uses the word "our" a lot to describe the Ford. I seriously doubt his objectivity. Also did anyone notice that they did not take the force off?? I could be that the Toyota frame bounces back, but the more rigid Ford frame is stuck in that twist. I guess we'll never know...

I think that the crash videos in the next post are a whole lot more telling than the "frame analysis." Looks to me that the Toyota did a whole lot better.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #19
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I couldn't find a 2009 crash test video for a Tundra...and why I posted the older models (year to year comparison).

Toyota dropped the ball in not developing a better fullsize earlier. However - Ford, Chevy & Dodge already had a very strong truck market - that's very hard to compete againest when Toyota didn't have experience in terms of heavy duty trucks back then.

If I had to guess, their priorities were in developing and fine tuning their hybrid technology / Prius. In looking at the history - the Prius was a concept car in 95 and first went into production in 97.

So, not to change the topic....but I believe Toyota made the right decision in spending their time with hybrid techonlogy. Afterall, they're the only car manufacturer with a hybrid that's been on the road for 12 years.
I couldn't agree with you more. No Toyota bailout money either.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
Ok,

Factory videos are designed for what,SELL the PRODUCT..

Pop rivets,I think not....MY Kenworth tractors did NOT have "nut/bolt" frames but "Huck bolted"( large pop-rivets) as were my cabs...million mile vehicles....

I LOVE the NET...dis/mis- information capital of the world...it used to be if it was on TV ..must be true.now the "Net"..

I will give Ford credit on their passenger safety though....bad wreck with a new "Tang" and 2 Large-cars...driver survived because the "sub-frame" DID break off the frame and protected her( saved her life along with the seat-belt/air-bags)...real life..no factory "guru's".....

S

X10 Thank you !!! I wonder if the OP knows what holds Aircraft / Helicopters together ,,,, POP RIVETS !!!