Limited slip options

Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Tony H is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st infantry division
Name: Tony
Tony H's Tacoma Gallery
Limited slip options

Hi,
I'm sure this has been discussed but I want to add a limited slip/locking rear diff to my 03 4cyl 4X4. Pros/cons of different setups.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I know ARB makes a solid Locker...check this out
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...s-p-17181.html
Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
mkerros has a spectacular aura aboutmkerros has a spectacular aura about
Navy: aviation electricians mate 2nd class
Name: Mike
mkerros's Tacoma Gallery
So do most people run them just on the rear of a 4x4 or is that something that would be run front and rear
Old 12-31-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerros View Post
So do most people run them just on the rear of a 4x4 or is that something that would be run front and rear
Which...Lockers or Limited Slip??

Lockers- Both is handy but lots of folks get along with just the rear.
LSD- Usually just the main drive wheels.

but those are kind generalizations...You can do whatever you want.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Tony H's Tacoma Gallery
My main use would be for traction in snow. I'm not into off road driving. I figure a locking diff would be best for my situation-driving up snowy roads. Is there a TRD locking diff that would fit my axle? I would like to stay with a Toyota offering if possible.
Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Actually for snowy road use, I would rather have a limited slip. They both will help, but the locker set up is more for heavy off road use. Again, they both have overlapping benefits on or off road, but I would prefer LSD on road and locker off road. JMO.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
where can't I go?
AZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kacey
AZCOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
Actually for snowy road use, I would rather have a limited slip. They both will help, but the locker set up is more for heavy off road use. Again, they both have overlapping benefits on or off road, but I would prefer LSD on road and locker off road. JMO.
x2
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
My main use would be for traction in snow. I'm not into off road driving. I figure a locking diff would be best for my situation-driving up snowy roads. Is there a TRD locking diff that would fit my axle? I would like to stay with a Toyota offering if possible.
Thanks
Like NAAC3Taco said.....

For ON-ROAD traction in the snow, look for a limited slip for the rear axle. It will function 100% of the time while you drive without any input. PLUS - it'll continue to work even while in 2WD. They're operated via clutch paks inside the differential and overall much safer to use. They are 'silent' in a sense that the driver doesn't have to think about it.

A locker is something completely different and does not allow for slippage. They shouldn't be used while ON-ROAD but only in extreme offroad situations and in 4WD. Lockers can be fulltime or they can be engaged. Lockers change the driving/steering/road handling characteristics. If you don't know what you're doing - you can break mechanical components and put yourself in an unsafe situation while the locker is engaged.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
NK ED is on a distinguished road
NK ED's Tacoma Gallery
donuts in the snow

Tony

I had an international pickup with a locking rear diff. In the snow I had to be very careful not to spin into donuts when accelerating out of corners. Basically the locking diff will spin you around in snow so I think the limited slip would be your better option. Limited slip allows more control.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
Tony H's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replys. Sounds like limited slip is best for my situation. Is the best option to purchase the diff, pull my 3rd member and take it to a shop to be set up? Is limited slip on the front an option?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Tony H's Tacoma Gallery
From my research it looks like the Detroit Truetrac is the best choice for front and rear. Thanks for all the input