Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Tundra info

Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra info

Hey all, I'm looking at a 2003 Tundra for a work truck. Is there a site like this one for Tundras or can you guys help me on some questions? All i've ever owned (and still do) are Tacomas. Just some basics like how good are the 3400 V-6's, what kind of problems are common, etc. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tundratalk.net/ and http://www.tundrasolutions.com/ are the 2 tundra specific sites that come to mind
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks tcBob
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
my god, I am so thankful TW does NOT have all that ad stuff! WOW
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
it appears that the 3.4 v-6 is the same one used in the Tacomas also....any problems with it?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
none in mine. I asked the toyota service department about that motor as well. They said there are no reoccurring problems with the 3.4. It does have a timing belt that needs changed every 90,000 miles. It is a non-interference motor though so if it breaks the worst that happens is that your stranded. Mine has 155,000 miles on it and have not had to replace anything. I have also overheated the motor and continued to run it overheated for about a half hour. After it cooled down it started right back up and I haven't had any problems with warped heads or leaking gaskets. I'd say that motor is bulletproof.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
good to hear, thanks matthew5olson.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
my god, I am so thankful TW does NOT have all that ad stuff! WOW

X2342345245634

What the fuck man...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

If it helps to my father in law has a 02 ext cab tundra. He has the 4.7 in it though. He likes it and it hasn't given him any problems. he misses his taco a lot though. there's only a 1 mpg difference between the v6 and v8 and for all the extra power he wen't with the v8. you can't get a v8 with a standard tranny though if that matters to you. That's one of the reasons my father in law wants to go back to a taco. he loved driving a stick.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBawlzTaco View Post
X2342345245634

What the fuck man...
I love the ad for the chevy silverado that pops up and says:
The Silverado Stands TallView the Head-to-Head Comparison & Watch the Silverado Rule. Get Info.

Maybe toyota knows they have that much better of a product that they can take chevy's ad money and know that they are not going to lose sales over it.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew5olson View Post
If it helps to my father in law has a 02 ext cab tundra. He has the 4.7 in it though. He likes it and it hasn't given him any problems. he misses his taco a lot though. there's only a 1 mpg difference between the v6 and v8 and for all the extra power he wen't with the v8. you can't get a v8 with a standard tranny though if that matters to you. That's one of the reasons my father in law wants to go back to a taco. he loved driving a stick.
This one's an 03 ex cab w/ 3.4 /5spd with only 74k on it. I'm not sure what kind of mileage these get. I'm used to the 22re in my work truck which I know is much better but I need a bit more power for occasional towing.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #12

2wheel or 4. I have a consumer reports account I'm checking their review now
Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2wheel or 4. I have a consumer reports account I'm checking their review now
Cool, thanks...2wd
Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #14

consumer reports has it rated good. they still recomend buying a used one. The road test the did was on a V8 4x4. so the fuel mileages don't apply. They got 15 overall with that setup though. So your gauranteed to get better than that. A 2wd probably weighs about the same as a 4x4 tacoma so the mileage should be around the same. expect about 17-19 overall depending on how you drive, whether yours hauling a lot, and whether its city or highway. Towing with the taco I ussually get 11-15 depending on how big/heavy the trailer is. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
consumer reports has it rated good. they still recomend buying a used one. The road test the did was on a V8 4x4. so the fuel mileages don't apply. They got 15 overall with that setup though. So your gauranteed to get better than that. A 2wd probably weighs about the same as a 4x4 tacoma so the mileage should be around the same. expect about 17-19 overall depending on how you drive, whether yours hauling a lot, and whether its city or highway. Towing with the taco I ussually get 11-15 depending on how big/heavy the trailer is. Hope this helps.
Thanks again, very helpful and much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
WestonJ is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Weston
WestonJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
Hey all, I'm looking at a 2003 Tundra for a work truck. Is there a site like this one for Tundras or can you guys help me on some questions? All i've ever owned (and still do) are Tacomas. Just some basics like how good are the 3400 V-6's, what kind of problems are common, etc. Thanks for any help.
i had a 2001 tundra for almost 3 years (sold one month ago for a 2010 tacoma). i had zero problems with it. i would definitely still have it, if it was 4WD. They are really good trucks, if you take care of them. I miss mine alot.