Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

tacoma diesel?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #41
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think we're really disagreeing here. I'm not arguing against diesels, I would have bought one myself if it were available. I drove a diesel Volkswagen van while I was in the UK recently; it worked quite well, got great mileage for it's size, and had decent power. Plus, I was originally looking at the Dodge Cummins diesel but the truck was about $10K more than my Tacoma.

The original question I responded to was are diesels better for the environment. As to biofuel, my only point was that as an environmentally-friendly fuel (as it's touted), biofuel isn't any better because there are other environmental effects besides greenhouse gases. With patroleum diesel you don't have the problem of huge tracts of land dedicated to fuel production, the biggest deal is getting it out of the ground.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #42
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
I don't think we're really disagreeing here. I'm not arguing against diesels, I would have bought one myself if it were available. I drove a diesel Volkswagen van while I was in the UK recently; it worked quite well, got great mileage for it's size, and had decent power. Plus, I was originally looking at the Dodge Cummins diesel but the truck was about $10K more than my Tacoma.

The original question I responded to was are diesels better for the environment. As to biofuel, my only point was that as an environmentally-friendly fuel (as it's touted), biofuel isn't any better because there are other environmental effects besides greenhouse gases. With patroleum diesel you don't have the problem of huge tracts of land dedicated to fuel production, the biggest deal is getting it out of the ground.
Okay, I follow you now. Yeah, the only two things that I like about bio-diesel in the states 1) it didn't come from another country 2) in a pinch, I could make it myself.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #43
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Can you say

PLEASE IMPORT the HILUX
Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #44
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Can you say

PLEASE IMPORT the HILUX
Seriously!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #45
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
do they still make the hilux diesel down near mexico? buddy of mine took pictures of one there on his vacation but wasnt sure if they sold them there or what
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 AM   #46
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
do they still make the hilux diesel down near mexico? buddy of mine took pictures of one there on his vacation but wasnt sure if they sold them there or what
They are still sold in Central America, but not Mexico. Since the initialization of NAFTA (~1993, I think), Toyota pulled the Hilux from the market in North America. I don't know if that is a coincidence or not, but I found it quite interesting.

Oh, that same year, Chrysler (DCX) pulled almost all of their diesel vehicles out of Canada. (themaster, correct me if I am wrong on that one)
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #47
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
They are still sold in Central America, but not Mexico. Since the initialization of NAFTA (~1993, I think), Toyota pulled the Hilux from the market in North America. I don't know if that is a coincidence or not, but I found it quite interesting.

Oh, that same year, Chrysler (DCX) pulled almost all of their diesel vehicles out of Canada. (themaster, correct me if I am wrong on that one)
Can't give too much detail on this. Mostly because I don't know how... but my friend drove his new 2006 HZJ79 Toyota LandCruiser pickup over to a BBQ we were at last night. Diesel of course.
I believe it is a Toyota 1-HZ non-turbo motor.

Still has the plastic on the seats and that new car smell.

There are only a couple 1000 miles on the odometer....

Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #48
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Thats pretty badass but it sure is ugly!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Thats pretty badass but it sure is ugly!
Wish I could agree but I hate the rounded look of most modern trucks.

Love the retro-utilitarian look but to each his own.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #50
I dub thee malicious!

I love the way that thing looks! How did he get it!?!

Those are only sold in Australia, Asia, and Eastern Europe/Middle East.

Check it out...
http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/vehi...6_1612,00.html
Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I love the way that thing looks! How did he get it!?!

Those are only sold in Australia, Asia, and Eastern Europe/Middle East.

Check it out...
http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/vehi...6_1612,00.html
You are correct.

This one came from the Middle-East. Saudi Arabia I believe.

Since it is the 2006 is still has the 1HZ 6 cylinder diesel and not the new V8 Turbo-Diesel.

Don't really know the details (kind of by choice) but he is able to get these in to the U.S. with a lot of research.

If I am ever in the market for something like this price permitting I may look into it but as is now they are very expensive to bring in.

Thanks for that link.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #52
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of the front end but i think it would look better as an access cab and i reallly dont like the bed. too shallow. I'd sure love to have that engine in my truck though!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I like the look of the front end but i think it would look better as an access cab and i reallly dont like the bed. too shallow. I'd sure love to have that engine in my truck though!

True bed is a bit shallow but I love the tie-down hooks built in. Reminds me of the 1983 Toyota PU beds.

Access cab would be really cool too but I guess when you are bringing in something like that you can't be too picky.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #54
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
Ok...some of you people..

That comment about toyota and caterpillar crushing the american diesels? Umm yeah detroit/cummins/international/caterpillar....they ALL make damn good diesel stop being such a freakin *(%$% if you like your toyota good thats why you own it. Why do you have to go pick on the guy with a dodge or a ford or a chevy? If he likes his truck awesome. If you like your truck awesome. Stop being so..........

....breathe just breathe.....
Nicely said, I myself am a big diesel fan, I appreciate all the diesels out there, but I love my V-6 gas 4.0 liter Taco. Good, durable, powerful engines are addictive, no matter what they drink. If toyota came out with one let's say in 2009 and the bio-fuels were coming along I would consider one, we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it, until then it is fun to talk about it. Drive on
Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #55
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ok guys its a tacoma and its a diesel engine lol.... just picked up a 6.2 NA diesel v8 for in tacozilla... thought about putting small block in...then thought about one of my big blocks.....but I think the diesel will be sweet
Old 11-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #56
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Can't wait, would buy one yesterday.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #57

I'm just thinking I've seen 22mpg in a NA 6.2 diesel suburban so should get around 25-28 I'm guessing in my taco
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfponto View Post
Can't give too much detail on this. Mostly because I don't know how... but my friend drove his new 2006 HZJ79 Toyota LandCruiser pickup over to a BBQ we were at last night. Diesel of course.
I believe it is a Toyota 1-HZ non-turbo motor.

Still has the plastic on the seats and that new car smell.

There are only a couple 1000 miles on the odometer....

Man could it be true ? I'm starting to get that feeling, oh what a feeling !