1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma radios

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by barbqr, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jan 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    barbqr

barbqr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I own an 1999 Tacoma 4X4 and my son ownes a 1999 regular truck. Both of us have everything the same except in is the 4X4 and standard. The problem we both have is that the left radio speaker goes out all the time. I can get it to come back some times by turning up the radio full blast, but who can listen to it for long. My sons radio does what it wants and just comes on and of at will.

Can anybody shine some light on this and is their a fix for it.

Thanks in advance

2. Jan 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    barbqr

barbqr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I think I'm the 3rd owner of the truck. It's just that I have to turn it up to hear it and of my wife is in the car, I have to turn it down.

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Edmund BateTruck

Edmund BateTruck Member

Member:
    I have a 2009 Taco, and the radio had problems from day one. Turning on and off at random times by itself, the LCD screen not on, left speaker cutting in and out. Luckily it was under warranty, and I was able to get it replaced after yelling at the parts manager in my local shop (they'd kept me waiting for 5 hours, then told me nothing was wrong :rolleyes:)

At checkout, the woman told me this was a common problem with many new tacos, and had been for a long time. She said it was probably just a matter of time before the radios were recalled . . .

. . . I know this doesn't shed light on your own radio dilemma, but I just thought you'd appreciate knowing that tacos are still having these problems, even brand new ones. :(:confused:

4. Jan 14, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    cmouse

cmouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab Barcelona Red
    I have had your experience as well Edmund. I have had new radio ordered twice. The service guy wasn't even suprised when I reported the problem. Said they changed manufacturers from previous years. Still waiting on replacement.

5. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    Edmund BateTruck

Edmund BateTruck Member

Member:
    I understand completely your frustration cmouse, the radios had been out of stock, I was initially told 5-7 day wait time, but it ended up being over 3 months. Just keep on being persistent and calling every couple of weeks for updates. Its a real hassle though, and extremely dangerous too. I'd be on the freeway driving, and the radio would turn on screaming full-blast in high speed rush hour traffic. And without me being able to turn it off either.:eek: Best of luck, I hope they replace your radio soon. :(

6. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    When I was looking for a truck to buy, the only problem I heard about toyotas is the radio goes out after a while. If it's just the left speaker, I would check the wiring before buying a new system.

Products Discussed in

To Top