Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Tacoma radios

Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
barbqr is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SGT
barbqr's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma radios

I own an 1999 Tacoma 4X4 and my son ownes a 1999 regular truck. Both of us have everything the same except in is the 4X4 and standard. The problem we both have is that the left radio speaker goes out all the time. I can get it to come back some times by turning up the radio full blast, but who can listen to it for long. My sons radio does what it wants and just comes on and of at will.

Can anybody shine some light on this and is their a fix for it.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 02 and it was doing the same thing so I replaced the head unit hoping that would fix it and it didn't. I just ordered some new speakers, tweeters, amps, and subs so when I put those in the problem should be gone.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
barbqr is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SGT
barbqr's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Radio

I think I'm the 3rd owner of the truck. It's just that I have to turn it up to hear it and of my wife is in the car, I have to turn it down.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Edmund BateTruck is on a distinguished road
Edmund BateTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2009 Taco, and the radio had problems from day one. Turning on and off at random times by itself, the LCD screen not on, left speaker cutting in and out. Luckily it was under warranty, and I was able to get it replaced after yelling at the parts manager in my local shop (they'd kept me waiting for 5 hours, then told me nothing was wrong )

At checkout, the woman told me this was a common problem with many new tacos, and had been for a long time. She said it was probably just a matter of time before the radios were recalled . . .

. . . I know this doesn't shed light on your own radio dilemma, but I just thought you'd appreciate knowing that tacos are still having these problems, even brand new ones.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
cmouse will become famous soon enough

cmouse's Tacoma Gallery
I have had your experience as well Edmund. I have had new radio ordered twice. The service guy wasn't even suprised when I reported the problem. Said they changed manufacturers from previous years. Still waiting on replacement.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Edmund BateTruck is on a distinguished road
Edmund BateTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I understand completely your frustration cmouse, the radios had been out of stock, I was initially told 5-7 day wait time, but it ended up being over 3 months. Just keep on being persistent and calling every couple of weeks for updates. Its a real hassle though, and extremely dangerous too. I'd be on the freeway driving, and the radio would turn on screaming full-blast in high speed rush hour traffic. And without me being able to turn it off either. Best of luck, I hope they replace your radio soon.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
One shot is all I need
usmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to behold

Marines: Armorer, Mechanic, Logistics
Name: Chris
usmcgoose's Tacoma Gallery
When I was looking for a truck to buy, the only problem I heard about toyotas is the radio goes out after a while. If it's just the left speaker, I would check the wiring before buying a new system.