Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

opinion's on 86 4runner with auto trans

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
yotarob2005's Tacoma Gallery
opinion's on 86 4runner with auto trans

I went and looked at an 86 4runner that is for sale localy. It is an 86 4x4 with a 22re that sorta runs & an automatic trans. It has been sitting for about a year due to a fuel leak, but has not seen the highway in several years as it was just used around the sellers property. The body is very nice & rust free. Not much is known about the condition of the trans but the seller does know that the 4wheel drive works. The price seems right, I am just worried about it being an auto trans. Has anyone in TW land ever owned anything with a 22re & automatic? I THINK that the auto trans models came with 4.88 gears, can anyone confirm or deny that?

My intentions for this truck would be to build an off road warrior! It doesn't really even need to be street legal, even though it would be nice to be able to make the short trip to the local off road park with out putting it on the trailer. It would be a slow build project as money came avaliable, but I want something that I can wheel & not worry so much about tearing it up. I would consider swapping in a GM 4.3L V-6 & 700r4 down the road.

Here is a pic, does anyone have any thought on it.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.trail-gear.com/sas.html
thats all i have to say for now .
Old 01-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the tailgate is missing, carpet has been removed & he rolled the floor boards with some bedliner stuff, front seats have been swapped for some vylin buckets, rear seat is missing, front door panels where painted with some black "vynil paint" that is half falling off, the rear inside panels are gone. I would like to get a tailgate for it but that other stuff doesn't mean a damn thing for a wheeling rig right? And the price is def. right.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
http://www.trail-gear.com/sas.html
thats all i have to say for now .
I say we get it running good & some cheap used tires first. But all in due time.

I want to do another vortec v-6 swap.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Freaking Sweet! Do it! You won't break your leg joy riding on that thing!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotarob2005 View Post
I say we get it running good & some cheap used tires first. But all in due time.

I want to do another vortec v-6 swap.
true is it local i wouldnt mind taking a look at it
Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
As long as the frame isn't rusted, it looks good.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
true is it local i wouldnt mind taking a look at it
Yeah it's local, I will give you a call when I go back over there if you want to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
As long as the frame isn't rusted, it looks good.
Actually, there is not a spot of rust on the whole thing, I could not belive it, they are know for being rust buckets
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
THE RED DRAGON!!

yea give me a ring ill ride along
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Yeah, the tailgate is the only thing I'd want.. a set of Mastercraft seats and Herculine the whole interior, weld in a cage and call it a day inside. Heck, even the tailgate is optional... bob the bed and build a tiregate.
You can see the seats he put in it already & he even put some kind of bed liner in the floor boards. there is a factory roll bar under the removeable hard top.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YActually, there is not a spot of rust on the whole thing, I could not belive it, they are know for being rust buckets
That's weird. Has the frame been painted (to hide rust)?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You can see the seats he put in it already & he even put some kind of bed liner in the floor boards. there is a factory roll bar under the removeable hard top.
Hey, reminds me of Randy's rig...

at least you have a great towing truck to tow it to the show.. not a Chevy..
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
That's weird. Has the frame been painted (to hide rust)?
IDK, I will look a little more at the frame when I go back.

I was going to try to jump it off but it did not have a battery at all. I said he bought a new batt for it, then when he lost interest he took the new batt out & put it in his wife's Rav 4
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up an 86 with an auto trans in the beginning of december. I wheeled it for the first time yesterday and plan to SAS it out here within the next 2 months. It will exceed your expectations! Buy it!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroM- View Post
I just picked up an 86 with an auto trans in the beginning of december. I wheeled it for the first time yesterday and plan to SAS it out here within the next 2 months. It will exceed your expectations! Buy it!
Awesome, do you think that your rig is capable of 65 mph on the streets?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah. It easily goes 80 on highway/freeway drives. I have already driven it up to the snow (3 1/2 hours) mostly going 65+

here is a pic:
Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #17

stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
I should add.... its a little slow go when your getting up to 65 but just put it in overdrive once your around 40 and it will do just fine.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #19

stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Well ive updated it with about $2,000 since iv'e bought it. Do you have a pick n' pull or some sort of junkyard around you? Its one of the best place to get the minor parts for the rig. Also look to ebay and type in 84-89 4runner as your search. You'll be amazed at what you can get for your runner! Hope you end up getting it. Iv'e been having so much fun updating and messing around with everything. I think more than anything im not scared to break anything like i am with my tacoma. It makes the updating process that much more fun because you get your hands a little more dirty

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
Kiss My IFS

I just talked to the seller & he found the tailgate!! That is one less thing I need to worry about. I am pretty sure that I will pull the trigger on this thing. My wife doesn't even seem to be mad about it.........yet.