Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Sweet Smell of Fail

Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Sweet Smell of Fail

The sweet smell is white exhaust. The fail, I believe, is the headgasket. Bummer.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing like the smell of burning anti-freeze.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Nothing like the smell of burning anti-freeze.
Yeah...it's not constant yet....but, the old girl's sending me smoke signals. I know the end is near.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
treadant is on a distinguished road
treadant's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to treadant
Steel Seal

You might want to try some STEEL SEAL. I just used some this week on an old 84 BMW that has a blown head gasket....overheated within 10-15 minutes at idle. I was skeptical, but followed the directions exactly....I'll be darned, but it fixed it! It even stopped a slight water pump leak at the same time.....Don't get me wrong, it was a pain following the directions, but it's a cheep fix and the BMW tech who recommended says he's been using it for years and it fixes blown head gaskets about 85% of the time.

Don't give up the Taco ghost yet!

www.SteelSeal.com
Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
treadant is on a distinguished road
treadant's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to treadant
Addendum to Steel Seal

The tech who recommended STEEL SEAL told me to make sure I removed the thermostat before using the product, the reinstall after problem was cured
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #6

Steel Seal

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, 85% success is not an option or a chance I can afford to take. I will most likely repair this the old fashioned way with greasy hands, bloody knuckles, and some colorful language. And, of course, some new gaskets and seals.

I'm not a mechanic, but I have done a complete tear down and rebuild on a car engine once before. This will not be an easy project by any means and I am horrified to get started, but I can and will fix this.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
time to upgrade to a 3.4. how many miles on the current 3.0?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
time to upgrade to a 3.4. how many miles on the current 3.0?
122,500 on the 3.0. I'm walking away. I don't think I can manage the hassle of a headgasket or engine swap right now. I don't want this solid sexy bodied 4Runner to rot away in my driveway, so I'm selling. It's depressing, but I don't want to put any more money into this runner. For the 1st time in 15 years I'm not going to have a Toyota.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks! I really enjoyed your build of it too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlzITtxAMA
Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
hate to hear it Chad. that runner was turning into a nice ride since you got it.

ah well......you'll have another yota one of these days.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #11

Yeah....I'll be sporting a Yota again someday.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
The sweet smell is white exhaust. The fail, I believe, is the headgasket. Bummer.
I had a '93 4runner and had the head gasket all done free at the dealer long after the warranty was up toyota had a campain for this like a recall for the v6 and maybe you can get it done if your 4runner never had it done before, worth a shot good luck
Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
I had a '93 4runner and had the head gasket all done free at the dealer long after the warranty was up toyota had a campain for this like a recall for the v6 and maybe you can get it done if your 4runner never had it done before, worth a shot good luck
The previous owner said the H.G. was done in 98 under the recall.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
A sincere good luck to you. I opened this thread b/c the title made me laugh out loud.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
A sincere good luck to you. I opened this thread b/c the title made me laugh out loud.
Appreciate it. If nothing else, I can find a little humor in any situation.