1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bring it back!

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by commtrd, Jan 24, 2010.

?

Would you buy a new hi-lux type toyota truck?

1. yes

42.8%
  2. no

29.7%
  3. only with independent front suspension

9.2%
  4. only with a solid front axle

27.5%
  1. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    How many would consider buying a new hi-lux type truck if toyota was to make one again? Smaller like the original taco (pickup) with a four-cyl. in-line, A SOLID FRONT AXLE, and with huge articulation built-in. Very bare-bones and made for wheelin'. Just wondering if I was the only one who misses the original toyota truck with its small size and solid, simple, reliable build quality.

I for one think this would be completely awesome and would trade in my '09 on one of these in a heartbeat.

2. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    it would be great! for 5% of the population.

MOST people would rather have a truck that rides nice, while carrying the family and pulling the boat or trailer.

If you are so into them, you could easily sell your 09, buy and older solid axle Toyota pickup, and do a frame off resto and have a WICKED trail rig for that much money, that is basically brand new...

3. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I'd go for it... Get rid of the computer and electronic bullshit and get back to basics!

4. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    No. I can't stand it's looks. Looks are kind of important to me. :p

I don't care much for diesels or solid-axles either. :)

5. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Oh wait, a new one? Like redesigned? I'd have to see it first. :)

6. Jan 24, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I'm looking around for an older taco to do a build on but down here in TX right by the water it is hard to find one not totally rusted out. Not in a big hurry but just something on the back burner. Have to admit it is an interesting topic to think about...toyota will never do something like this so it's just an idea anyway. Actually if I can find a way to do a SAS on my '09 I would be happy as a clam. I guess the IFS is great for desert running (if it is long-travel) but I would prefer a solid front axle if given the choice.

7. Jan 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    i promised my self i would never buy a 4 banger after i had to drive my dads 84 toyota around. so no

8. Jan 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    Ese Loco

Ese Loco Taco Man Sam

Member:
    Vero Beach, FL / Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 V6 6-speed
    Legal Florida Tint all-around, 1.5" add-a-leaf, bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Light Racing Coilovers, Removed secondary air filter, K&N airfilter, Amsoil 100% synthetic motor oil, Amsoil synthetic severe gear in rear differential, Differential breather mod, Painted rims and logo's black, amsoil oil filter
    It can be done
    [​IMG]

9. Jan 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I would have to say no. I really like the look of the new trucks. The size of the old trucks was just to small for me and the things I need my truck to do. Even the 1st gen double cab was too small. I think the 2nd Gens could actually be a little bigger in the back seat double cab. More of a mid-size truck with more back seat room would make me happy.

10. Jan 25, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    It's called a Tundra.:D

11. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Well I was just curious as to what everyone else thought about the size vs. usefulness. I have been really researching the solid axle swaps on yota tech and for real trail use the smaller size is appropriate. However for an every day driver it is handy to have the bigger size or if towing a moderate load having a v6 etc.

I thought it was not possible to do a SAS on a 2nd gen but obviously it has been done. That is exactly what I would like to do to my truck or maybe find an early 90's model truck to chop may be better. Have to admit that looks pretty tough...any links on doing the SAS on a 2nd gen? All the research I have done had conflicts with the differential and the transfer case being on opposite sides which made it impossible to do. I guess I did not research this enough...

12. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Anymore pictures of this beast?

13. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    i miss my '88 toyota

2r3xwm0_e1c99445a0f4357b33bd738e21ae3d13ef178c07.jpg

14. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    The Tundra's don’t look as good as the Tacoma's do and are too big/expensive. A little more back seat room would be nice so what when me and my family goes on a road trip 4 of us can be comfortable. Putting a car seat in the back of the double cab, you have to move the front seat up and makes it very uncomfortable for who ever is in the front seat. But that’s the only thing I would want bigger. Ideally having a double cab with the room of a 4Runner in the front and back seats would be good.

15. Jan 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    This is a good example of those who really want a luxury car with a box in back. And that's just fine. Toyota should make vehicles for people like that, since they are clearly in the majority. But take another look at that blue taco up there in the picture. Visualize how a smaller pickup built super-strong and simple (like they used to make 'em) would be great for surfers, hunters, fishermen, anyone who really just wants a truck to use that way would really like something like that. And still make the existing tacoma for those who need a larger luxury vehicle for a grocery-getter and hauling the family around, or towing light loads etc. Well anyway toyota is not going to make anything like this so no matter anyway. My truck is pretty functional for how I use it and when I really want something to go wheeling I will just build something from an old truck that won't matter if it gets scratched / beat up.

16. Jan 29, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    ee-lee

ee-lee Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    The best Toyota truck I ever owned (I've had 5) was a 1990 base model. Ran 530K miles with just normal maintenance. I hauled a lot of stuff with that truck that it was never designed to haul without so much as a squeak or groan. I don't need or want a larger truck but there isn't anything out there any more that is small like the older ones. I have also found that anything used in the older trucks that is for sale is beat to shit.

I seriously doubt that my 09 taco will come close to any of my previous trucks in value per mile. For that matter that damn plastic bed is just a joke. I hauled a 10' piece of steel I beam in that bed a couple of months ago and I have to say it was an ugly experience all the way around. Niether the bed nor the tailgate liked it much and it made even me a bit nervous. My old trucks would have handled it without a problem. As a pickup truck it doesn't even make a good passenger car! As Lee Marvin said in the Dirty Dozen, "they are pretty, but can they fight", in this case I'd say not too well. Personally I think Toyota has headed in the wrong direction, but what do I know.

17. Jan 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    This is precisely what I was trying to get across. And I have spent quite a bit of time trying to locate a clean [earlier than 1990 model] toyota pickup but just not to be found. I would really like to find a 1985 for the solid front axle but probably not going to happen. Actually I did see one in Costa Rica on my 2nd surf trip there but of course couldn't have got it back home.

It would be very cool if toyota would make the original small truck again (with a steel bed) like they used to make 'em. Unfortunately not going to happen.

18. Jan 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Function over fluff is hard to find nowadays.
    A good friend of mine wanted a Ford 4X4 manual trans single cab manual windows ect plain jane new truck.
    A Lexus dealer manager friend of mine found one in the Phx. area.
    All the rest were Dbl. cab King ranch power optioned to the hilt trucks that most people want.
    They builsd what sells that is the bottom line.

19. Jan 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Yep that's true...americans are soft and decadent and only want luxury stuff instead of something built tough and functional to last a long long time. That's why toyota won't ever make the small truck again.

20. Feb 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    They just need to stop fiddling around and throw a nice lil diesel into the current tacos.

Products Discussed in

To Top