Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

bring it back!

View Poll Results: Would you buy a new hi-lux type toyota truck?
yes 97 42.54%
no 68 29.82%
only with independent front suspension 21 9.21%
only with a solid front axle 63 27.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
bring it back!

How many would consider buying a new hi-lux type truck if toyota was to make one again? Smaller like the original taco (pickup) with a four-cyl. in-line, A SOLID FRONT AXLE, and with huge articulation built-in. Very bare-bones and made for wheelin'. Just wondering if I was the only one who misses the original toyota truck with its small size and solid, simple, reliable build quality.

I for one think this would be completely awesome and would trade in my '09 on one of these in a heartbeat.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
it would be great! for 5% of the population.

MOST people would rather have a truck that rides nice, while carrying the family and pulling the boat or trailer.

If you are so into them, you could easily sell your 09, buy and older solid axle Toyota pickup, and do a frame off resto and have a WICKED trail rig for that much money, that is basically brand new...
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
No. I can't stand it's looks. Looks are kind of important to me.

I don't care much for diesels or solid-axles either.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Oh wait, a new one? Like redesigned? I'd have to see it first.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
No. I can't stand it's looks. Looks are kind of important to me.

I don't care much for diesels or solid-axles either.
Functionality over looks in my books
Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking around for an older taco to do a build on but down here in TX right by the water it is hard to find one not totally rusted out. Not in a big hurry but just something on the back burner. Have to admit it is an interesting topic to think about...toyota will never do something like this so it's just an idea anyway. Actually if I can find a way to do a SAS on my '09 I would be happy as a clam. I guess the IFS is great for desert running (if it is long-travel) but I would prefer a solid front axle if given the choice.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
I'm looking around for an older taco to do a build on but down here in TX right by the water it is hard to find one not totally rusted out. Not in a big hurry but just something on the back burner. Have to admit it is an interesting topic to think about...toyota will never do something like this so it's just an idea anyway. Actually if I can find a way to do a SAS on my '09 I would be happy as a clam. I guess the IFS is great for desert running (if it is long-travel) but I would prefer a solid front axle if given the choice.
SAS are awesome!! My cousin just did it to his Ranger. I love it!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
i promised my self i would never buy a 4 banger after i had to drive my dads 84 toyota around. so no
Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Taco Man Sam
Ese Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ese Loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
It can be done
Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to say no. I really like the look of the new trucks. The size of the old trucks was just to small for me and the things I need my truck to do. Even the 1st gen double cab was too small. I think the 2nd Gens could actually be a little bigger in the back seat double cab. More of a mid-size truck with more back seat room would make me happy.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
I think the 2nd Gens could actually be a little bigger in the back seat double cab. More of a mid-size truck with more back seat room would make me happy.
It's called a Tundra.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Well I was just curious as to what everyone else thought about the size vs. usefulness. I have been really researching the solid axle swaps on yota tech and for real trail use the smaller size is appropriate. However for an every day driver it is handy to have the bigger size or if towing a moderate load having a v6 etc.

I thought it was not possible to do a SAS on a 2nd gen but obviously it has been done. That is exactly what I would like to do to my truck or maybe find an early 90's model truck to chop may be better. Have to admit that looks pretty tough...any links on doing the SAS on a 2nd gen? All the research I have done had conflicts with the differential and the transfer case being on opposite sides which made it impossible to do. I guess I did not research this enough...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese Loco View Post
It can be done
Anymore pictures of this beast?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
i miss my '88 toyota

Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
It's called a Tundra.
The Tundra's donít look as good as the Tacoma's do and are too big/expensive. A little more back seat room would be nice so what when me and my family goes on a road trip 4 of us can be comfortable. Putting a car seat in the back of the double cab, you have to move the front seat up and makes it very uncomfortable for who ever is in the front seat. But thatís the only thing I would want bigger. Ideally having a double cab with the room of a 4Runner in the front and back seats would be good.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #17
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
This is a good example of those who really want a luxury car with a box in back. And that's just fine. Toyota should make vehicles for people like that, since they are clearly in the majority. But take another look at that blue taco up there in the picture. Visualize how a smaller pickup built super-strong and simple (like they used to make 'em) would be great for surfers, hunters, fishermen, anyone who really just wants a truck to use that way would really like something like that. And still make the existing tacoma for those who need a larger luxury vehicle for a grocery-getter and hauling the family around, or towing light loads etc. Well anyway toyota is not going to make anything like this so no matter anyway. My truck is pretty functional for how I use it and when I really want something to go wheeling I will just build something from an old truck that won't matter if it gets scratched / beat up.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
ee-lee is on a distinguished road
Navy: HT1
ee-lee's Tacoma Gallery
The best Toyota truck I ever owned (I've had 5) was a 1990 base model. Ran 530K miles with just normal maintenance. I hauled a lot of stuff with that truck that it was never designed to haul without so much as a squeak or groan. I don't need or want a larger truck but there isn't anything out there any more that is small like the older ones. I have also found that anything used in the older trucks that is for sale is beat to shit.

I seriously doubt that my 09 taco will come close to any of my previous trucks in value per mile. For that matter that damn plastic bed is just a joke. I hauled a 10' piece of steel I beam in that bed a couple of months ago and I have to say it was an ugly experience all the way around. Niether the bed nor the tailgate liked it much and it made even me a bit nervous. My old trucks would have handled it without a problem. As a pickup truck it doesn't even make a good passenger car! As Lee Marvin said in the Dirty Dozen, "they are pretty, but can they fight", in this case I'd say not too well. Personally I think Toyota has headed in the wrong direction, but what do I know.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
This is precisely what I was trying to get across. And I have spent quite a bit of time trying to locate a clean [earlier than 1990 model] toyota pickup but just not to be found. I would really like to find a 1985 for the solid front axle but probably not going to happen. Actually I did see one in Costa Rica on my 2nd surf trip there but of course couldn't have got it back home.

It would be very cool if toyota would make the original small truck again (with a steel bed) like they used to make 'em. Unfortunately not going to happen.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Function over fluff is hard to find nowadays.
A good friend of mine wanted a Ford 4X4 manual trans single cab manual windows ect plain jane new truck.
A Lexus dealer manager friend of mine found one in the Phx. area.
All the rest were Dbl. cab King ranch power optioned to the hilt trucks that most people want.
They builsd what sells that is the bottom line.