Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Taco or FJ?

View Poll Results: Taco or FJ
1st gen taco/ pre 1st gen pickup 4X4 16 43.24%
Land cruiser FJ60/62 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
Taco or FJ?

Ok guys so I need your help.

At the moment I have a 2008 2wd taco base model, and I hate not having 4x4. So I have been looking around for a used 4x4 something I may be getting in the up coming summer so nothing crazy expensive something I can find locally for a few grand.

So I know some of you are just going to say trade in your truck, well thatís not an option. I want to keep my taco as a daily driver and have another truck/suv to use for off roading, camping, take to the lake things like that.

So my dilemma I have no idea what I want, I have narrowed it down to a 1st gen taco/pretaco (not prerunner but Toyota pickup before the Tacoma) pickup, or an FJ60/62. So this is where I am stuck and want my fellow TW members to help me decide.

I want a truck because I am familiar with them, I love having a bed so I can haul stuff (I want an extended cab with a regular bed not a double cab with a short bed), I know there are vast amounts of aftermarket parts, and many other reasons, and well itís a taco.

But on the other hand I would love to have an SUV to carry more than 2 people comfortably for more than an hour, I donít have to worry about for getting things in the bed, if a really need to haul something I can just tow it or use my current truck, I can throw a good roof rack on top and carry stuff that way, I know there are also a lot of after market parts for the land cruisers too.

So this is where is need your help, help me decide on what to get give me some other PROS and CONS. I am still saving and have a few more months to decide but I just want to make a decision

any way thanks in advance sorry for such a long post!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Well since you are keeping your truck I would suggest an SUV. You will like being able drive more than 2 people at once. Have you ever thought of a 4Runner, they are a little cheaper and easier to find??? Just a thought, I had a 98 4Runner and it was bullet proof. Never had any problems. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
as of right now, 100% of people who have voted in this thread say go for the FJ60/62
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
automoto is a glorious beacon of lightautomoto is a glorious beacon of lightautomoto is a glorious beacon of lightautomoto is a glorious beacon of lightautomoto is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
automoto's Tacoma Gallery
Tough choice. Having another pick up would be cool esp. an older 4x4 taco/pretaco. Good off roading, you can throw a lot of shit in the bed, etc. The mods you can do are also unlimited,only to your budget. On the other hand you already have a pick up that you can use to haul or put whatever in, and having two pick ups might be redundant. You also still have the problem of not having enough room for other people.

An older 4x4 4runner or other SUV would also be good for off roading, has decent space for camping/fishing/whatever gear. A roof rack is always a possibility. The mods you can do are also unlimited only to your budget. You can also fit more people in it if you wanted to take a trip somewhere, and bring your friends. Your stuff would be inside the vehicle and wouldnt get wet from rain or snow, unless its on a roof rack.

Lastly it also comes down to your budget and what you can afford. Don't just buy something to buy something, i've done that and regretted it, find the right truck for you and your purposes.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
sr5boy is on a distinguished road

sr5boy's Tacoma Gallery
fj40!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
well shit guys i guess so far its the FJ, but i really like the 4runners but for some reason i dont like them as much as the FJ's. i love the look of them and here where i live there is always a few on craigslist so not to hard to find.

but you are right that they are a little more expensive but i dont mnd that especially because its something i really want.

also i really really like the 40's but i just dont like the fact that there isnt as much room.

anyway keep it comin guys id still like to hear more about what you think!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
get the FJ if you can find one...I would get an older 4 runner If i had the extra cash
Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Get both...Or keep your truck and get a used cheap $700 tacoma or 4runner 4x4
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #11

Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
get the FJ if you can find one...I would get an older 4 runner If i had the extra cash
haha well i dont think finding one will be that hard. on craigslist where i am there is prob about 4 or 5 for sale right now. but i think thats what im leaning toward

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
Get both...Or keep your truck and get a used cheap $700 tacoma or 4runner 4x4
haha well gotta keep my current taco! but i like the 4runners with the removeable top but i still like the FJ's better, and ya i can still find a pretty cheap taco but like i said i think im leaning toward the FJ's more but well see!