Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

The Toyota Manual Transmission Clutch Disengaged At An Idle In Neutral Grind

Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Location: south Florida - not from here though, I can count AND spell
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
The Toyota Manual Transmission Clutch Disengaged At An Idle In Neutral Grind

or TMTCDAAIING for short!

(Anyhow, first thread, sorry mods if this is in the wrong place...I've spent the last half hour scouring and searching to see if this was already posted someplace, and I had no luck finding it if it was. Please move as necessary)

New Toyota owner here! Sort of. Well, my last Toyota was a 1980 Tercel Corolla. That's long enough to be new now, right?

Anyhow, I have a 2006 4cyl 5spd work truck. Nothing fancy, stripped down and plain. Gets the job done!

Since the day I've owned it, I've noticed the TMTCDAAIING. My old Corollas did this, the Toyota work trucks we had at the mills did this. However, my wife is convinced that something is amiss, and is really climbing up my ass about it. Since the dealers down here are staffed with 80% incompetent and lazy farkers, getting anything actually DONE takes a month of Sundays unless its on fire, so I don't want to start a big inquiry if nothing is the matter, as it seems to me. BUT, since my lil snuggyhunneybunney is not only adorable but possessing a mean right hook/left cross combo, I'm gonna ask you guys if you know what I'm talkin about here.

It doesn't matter the operating temperature of the transmission or engine or anything else. Pulling out of the driveway or after an hour on the road it makes no nevermind...pull up to a stoplight, pop it in neutral, let out the clutch, and just hold the brake! More times than not, about 90% of the time, you'll get the TMTCDAAIIN. Its a kind of a wet sounding, low-key soft pseudo-metal wobbly grunky noise. The closest I can come to really describing it is a knobbed plate gently rotating against a pourous surface in a thick viscous goo...not a grind, really, but a throaty growl.

It goes away instantly when you engage the clutch and/or put it in gear. And the ONLY time you hear it is when you're in neutral, not moving, with the petal out.

I'm not imagining this one, right? Y'all know what I'm talking about here, RIGHT?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you're still checking this thread, but my 06 v6 six speed with 42K does this also. I just bought the truck. I've posted about it and got at least one person who says theirs does not have the noise. Had it to the dealer and to an independent mechanic. The independent is not sure about the six speed, but says the five speed toyota transmissions have always been notorious for input bearing problems. The dealer says normal but wants to recheck in a couple months? My 86 4x4 did this from the time I got it at 119k and eventually got the trans rebuilt at 160k when a countershaft bearing started making a clicking noise in all but fourth gear. My 04 2.4 5speed company truck has been making this noise since about 90k and now has 118k. It is now turning from a low grinding to a loud whine that is heard in neutral and in all gears but forth. I am certain it is going to need a rebuild soon. I'm hoping to get my six speed replaced before the warranty is up at the end of the year.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
throw out bearing.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Suroit is on a distinguished road

Army: 3 ASG MSE OPERATOR
Name: Jack
Suroit's Tacoma Gallery
Same Prob. with my Matrix 2003.
I Blow my Transmission at 150000 km. Put a Use on (35000km), after only 20000 km on it, started to do the same thing.
So, an Old an very good Mechanic body of mind found the prob in 5 minutes. He change 3 bearing in the Transmission (30$ each). He put aftermarket bearing cuz the toyota original bearing are too soft he told me.
And then, since 3 years, no probl at all, & i got 200 000km on the car now.